• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 cutty

cutty

Gone Fishin'

• Expired Member
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 07:37 AM

I agree with the_chosen_one. I also pc distilled water in half pint or 1 pint jars for about 30 min for steril water and let it cool in the PC.

#42 WeedyResin

WeedyResin

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 307 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 07:47 AM

This is what we do... http://mycotopia.net...read.php?t=5001
Shobi rocks!

#43 MePlusOne

MePlusOne

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 176 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 12:19 PM

I unloaded a whole 10cc syringe of spores into a jar of sterilized water a few months back, as thought the syringe might have been contamed. The only hole in the jar is sealed with silicone so there has been no air circulation or transfer ever. I looked at this jar today and there are puffballs of mycelia in it!! How is this possible? Could the mycelia feed off algae in the water or just a trace of minerals that might have been in it? I am completely stumped how this could happen, and it is just plain h2o! I admit it isn't much growth, but it is growth none the same. How does this happen and what could this mean as far as cultivating is concerned. It makes me wonder if the syringe was contaminated after all. If indeed it was contamed, could the spores have fed off the bacteria in it in order to grow out? It is just plain weird cause I have a jar of crystal clear water in it and culture too!

#44 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 July 2006 - 12:24 PM

Spores are like eggs, they contain a tiny amount of food to get the myc started.

Premature germination in plain water is quite normal.

#45 nomoreusmc

nomoreusmc

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 940 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 12:48 PM

Yeah seen it b4, but I think that they would be strong growers, give them a try!!

#46 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 02:34 PM

Use it as soon as possible for good results. Make sure to shake it well prior to using it, breaking up the mycelium really good.

#47 MePlusOne

MePlusOne

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 176 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 12:57 AM

I'm going to use it first chance I have. I figured that it would be some strong mycelia too. Glad to know this isn't uncommon. Lazlo, are you still using vanilla extract in LCs or have you found any new things to use, just curious?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!