Posted 06 July 2006 - 12:19 PM
I unloaded a whole 10cc syringe of spores into a jar of sterilized water a few months back, as thought the syringe might have been contamed. The only hole in the jar is sealed with silicone so there has been no air circulation or transfer ever. I looked at this jar today and there are puffballs of mycelia in it!! How is this possible? Could the mycelia feed off algae in the water or just a trace of minerals that might have been in it? I am completely stumped how this could happen, and it is just plain h2o! I admit it isn't much growth, but it is growth none the same. How does this happen and what could this mean as far as cultivating is concerned. It makes me wonder if the syringe was contaminated after all. If indeed it was contamed, could the spores have fed off the bacteria in it in order to grow out? It is just plain weird cause I have a jar of crystal clear water in it and culture too!