Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Which Psilocybin Mushrooms Grow Wild in My Area ?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 mjshroomer

mjshroomer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,323 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 December 2009 - 08:51 AM

Cactu sent at least a half dozen collections to Guzman, all were "lost in the mail."
So maybe Gartz is telling the truth on that one.

Guzman had informed me a year or more ago that he had recevied specimens from Cactu that were of mixed collections. How many I cannot say.

Any mail to guzman at the Instituto de Ecologia he receives.

I have sent him hundreds of specimens from Europe, Austrailia, South and Southeast Asia, Malaysia, Indonesia and Bali and he received every package I sent him. So I do still believe Gartz did not send those specimens. AS I noted, he has some serious problems with his University over his study of the mushrooms. And as I noted he is paranoid and I have letters to prove that but cannot post them online. He told me he is too close to retirement and in no way wants to lose his pension. And he also asked me to tell people to stop sending him mushroom samples because customs has complained. I have never asked anyone to ever send him specimens but he gets mail sometimes from people who read his posted article abstracts of his papers and send specimens to him from the address listed on his paper.

Again another odd mistake by Paul Stamets in "Psilocybin Mushrooms of the World" on page 140 is "Psilocybe samuiensis Guzman, Allen and Merlin."

The actual identification is "Guzman, Bandala and Allen."

And as noted there are many others. None of us are perfect.

Adding to the confusion of the P. cyanofibrillosa and the cyanofriscosa is this species that has been microscopically identified years ago by both Jeremy Bigwood and Dr. Michael Beug at Evergreen State in Washington as P. cyanofibrilosa.

Both me and @cro of the Shroomery have picked this species which is different than the two mentioned above. Its stem is solid thick and study and is so much the size and firmnest of P. cyanescens yet the cap is similar to a cube at times in its shape and the stem blues, and breaks into one piece and the hollow stem of the Psilocybe is not noticible due to the thickness of the stem. I have several photos of these mushrooms so then that leaves me realizing that Stamets photos in both his book and Arora's are as Alan says, cyanofriscosa. So if this mushroom below is not the cyanofriscosa?

Then what is it?

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1260453334

Currently I am working on an Amanita from Asia which is about to have some chemical analysis conducted. IT is close to the var. known previously as var. formosa. At least Macroscopically and will appear in Vol. 9 of my journal, the actual last work which has been dormant for the past 3 1/2 years along with a short article, over 140 pages. Thai villagers and those in Malaysia who know this mushroom do not know of any past use in divinations or ceremonial usages amongst its people. I have some really beautiful photographs from a colleague I met in Hua Hin, Thailand in 2001 at a conference I lectured at who also has worked with my colleague in Bangkok.
\
Anyway, have a nice day.
mjshroomer

Attached Thumbnails

• cyano3.jpg

Edited by MrChen, 30 September 2010 - 04:32 PM.
fixed code

#22 Alan Rockefeller

Alan Rockefeller

Mycologist

• OG VIP
  • 1,906 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 December 2009 - 11:03 PM

Then what is it?

That is a real interesting Psilocybe sp.

Appears to be kind of deformed due to environmental conditions. I don't think its cyanofriscosa but it does look similar.

#23 JakeTheIrish

JakeTheIrish

Aussie shroom hunter

• Expired Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:40 AM

thanks for the details man ive been looking around recently but am yet to find anything that is very nice, last cubies i found went mouldy over night =S so i had to chuck them. australia Qld not many around that i can find...

#24 DrPepper

DrPepper

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 152 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:31 PM

I've posted the entire mycological database for South Korea, only about 3 or 4 shrooms on it, I think 1 isn't active.
Also, it's all in Korea other than latin names. The good news is that it lists discovered locations in lots of details.

#25 Mr.nofungus

Mr.nofungus

Mold Collector

• Expired Member
  • 210 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 05:10 PM

Wow, mjshroomer brings us a tale of shroomy intrigue that rivals the penis envy saga. But I don't mean tale and saga as in fiction.

#26 Man of Knowledge

Man of Knowledge

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 732 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:03 PM

Appears to be kind of deformed due to environmental conditions. I don't think its cyanofriscosa but it does look similar.

It maybe is the P. subaeruginascins or its variation that Workman might have been examining, a species form Indonesia and a variation from Japan. This species grows sporadically in small colonies of five to twenty or so shrooms at the best, but I always only find two or three specimens a year. If it gets into a good alder mulch bed from the loggers to the landscaping firms, it could sprout up as the Cyanofriscosa's did in the bay area, although it was also since thwe 1980s here in Seattle, but scarce. There was a time that Baeocystis was scarce and then abundant for several years and then the farmlands south of SouthCenter Mall sold out to Boeing and the fertilizers stopped being used on the lawns because ofg the rising cost of care to the lawns and gardens of many businesses and offices in the suburban areas of Seattle.

The stems are thicker than P. cyanescens. @cro and I and a few others from the shroomery have found a few every year. Here are a few more images of this really sturdy shroom, and it blues intenseley.

Four gnarly looking photos and images of this species. However, as Workman noted, he too, as do I and others, all make minor mistakes, but there are people who die because they rely on the word of their shroom hunting friends that the mushrooms they are picking are the real thing.

There will be an updated version of the worldwide checklist of species, and it will in parts be based on multiple collections and chemical analysis, and the removal of all shrooms that are still listed in many guides as poisonous/hallucinogenic, etc.

That kind of research takes a year to two years. I spent 23 years in Thailand and Southeast Asia studying fungi and still there are new species out of that region that no work yet has been done. I have been slightly disabled since I lost my elbow and injured my spine. I sometimes need a walker and I am on a big weight loss after 6 years of heavy stomach due to my having quit smoking cigarettes. For a while I needed help to get up from the ground when photographing shrooms, and I was unable to lift myself up onto ledges to look in garden bed boxes.

So excuse the typos. Hopefully in a few weeks I will finish vol. IX of my journal which will be published on the maps.org website with three major papers, one 136 pages of my 23-years of study in Asia, and one on the chemical reference to all psilocybian mushrooms, and a third on R. Gordon Wasson who made a slight error in describing a foreign name for P. cubensis from a country that has no cubes.

https://mycotopia.ne...=1&d=1316653316

I also wanted to mention that in the last four years, guzman has been asking me to include small collections with dirt or compost or manure or woody debris attached to the base of the stem as he also notes the attachments of the base of shrooms.

Sorry but I am saving the nice large full shroom images for a short commication paper

Man of Knowledge

Attached Thumbnails

• subaerug111.JPG
  • blueshroom4abcsubaeruginascensabc.jpg
  • subaerug64.jpg
  • DSCN2065psubhaeruginascens1bc.jpg
  • P1010022psubaeruginascensabc.jpg

Edited by Man of Knowledge, 21 September 2011 - 08:14 PM.

#27 111skcusennast

111skcusennast

Get there while you can.

• Expired Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:11 PM

Damn! Thats a ton of strains. Im sure there are more that are still unknown as far as not being named.

#28 Man of Knowledge

Man of Knowledge

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 732 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:38 PM

Alan, I just posted some soggy blue ringers from a U-Village condo where my friend and I found the stuntzii's now posted in the stuntzii thread here. However, when I opened the folder for that find, I noticed another photo of those thick stemmed potent Psilocybes, maybe as Workman said, Aeruginascens from Japan or Indonesia, however, he also noted errors in identification, so until Guzman ever finishes his book, then I can put the rest of my updated list into a better format as Guzman will add many new species I have some data on but cannot post until it is published.

https://mycotopia.ne...=1&d=1318297086

I have more of this species as there were about 13 or so shrooms in a mulched bed and they grew along the side of the building at the edge of the mulch so the shrooms grew along the wall of the building's edge

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0162subaeruginascens.jpg

#29 shade-of-deep-purple

shade-of-deep-purple

Psychedelic Musician

• Free Member
  • 360 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:13 PM

I live in on the border of Quebec and New Hampshire, but still technically Vermont, and I get Psilocybe semilanceata. Fix it so I don't have to keep explaining to people that I DO have libs in VT please.

#30 Man of Knowledge

Man of Knowledge

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 732 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 09:18 PM

I live in on the border of Quebec and New Hampshire, but still technically Vermont, and I get Psilocybe semilanceata. Fix it so I don't have to keep explaining to people that I DO have libs in VT please.

As my lists of species is a work of scholarly quality and peer revviewed by scholars, at least 3 per paper, I cannot add to that list that P. semilanceata are in Vermont until someone professional deposits them into a University herbarium in your state and then that verifies its existance there.

As I said, my research is right one according to actual deposits. And there are tens of thousands of collections of plants and mushrooms world wide that have been sitting in herbariums waiting for someone to further their studies on these interesting magic fungi so I cannot in good standing in the community add such a name to a list without positive proof. Especially, your mention of liberty caps in Vermont.

Also, anyone with a small amount of posts who claims to have eaten one and felt a buzz or even two is impossible clincally as well as chemically because of the amount of psilocine/psilocybin in a specific species that requires at least 20 or more[ecimens to even began to feel the effects of the actions of the tryptamines involved. There are approx. 30 doses in a fresh pound, that would be a total of about 300 milligrams of actual chemical as a clinical dose for lib caps is one to two dried grams, although many in clinical studies and trials say that one gram dried is a good rewarding trip. That paper is posted here at mycotopia on Copelandia and tryptamine derivatives by Tjakko Stijve of Nestles. That basically means that it takes 1 pr sp dried grams of powdered material of a psilocybian mushroom to get off. In that one gram are 1,000 milligrams of powder of which only 15-30 milligrams out of a 1000 milligrams (one gram dried) is a single dose, so one or two mushrooms would not even get anyone any kind of reaction.

man of knowledge

Edited by Man of Knowledge, 30 October 2011 - 09:24 PM.

#31 Alan Rockefeller

Alan Rockefeller

Mycologist

• OG VIP
  • 1,906 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:18 PM

I added it to the list at http://www.shroomery...ea<br /><br />It would be a good idea for a mycotopia mod to copy the body of that text into the first page of this post. I have updated it at least 40 times since I sent it to hippie3 to post here. I believe I have all of warriorsoul's changes integrated but check with him first to make sure.

As my lists of species is a work of scholarly quality and peer revviewed by scholars, at least 3 per paper, I cannot add to that list that P. semilanceata are in Vermont until someone professional deposits them into a University herbarium in your state and then that verifies its existance there

But you and I both know that Psilocybe semilanceata occurs there. It has been reported from surrounding areas.
By only including records with herbarium depsits you are missing a lot of stuff - P. mescaleroensis in Arizona, P. ovoideocystidiata all over the east and west coast, liberty caps in vermont and minnesota, and all of Workman's work.

In addition there are many misidentified collections in herbariums, especially in Psilocybe. Very rarely does material get scoped before it gets deposited in a herbarium. Some of the identifications are very good, others are ridiculous.

#32 kelroy383

kelroy383

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 228 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:58 PM

I know the elusive Ps. Weilii grow in my area but I am sure there is at least 10 or more species need you tell me what you think these are need help.

Attached Thumbnails

• 0618180432_08.jpg

#33 Alan Rockefeller

Alan Rockefeller

Mycologist

• OG VIP
  • 1,906 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:53 AM

Those are an Agaricus species.

#34 kelroy383

kelroy383

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 228 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:18 PM

Thanks for the id man really waiting for some rain so I can really search out the weilii:hippie:

#35 shroomhunt

shroomhunt

The Snake Man

• Expired Member
  • 895 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:10 PM

Bad ass list and info here on this thread guys. I have found 3 of the list for fl actives. With time ill attempt to find them all. Thanks for the species list so i know what im searching for. Peace

#36 grifola

grifola

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:06 PM

Delaware has Psilocybe ovoideocystidiata and Gymnopilus junonius. I have found those.

• warriorsoul likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!