Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

How to improve the quality of the high from a low quality bud - the magic of Terpenes

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:17 PM

How to improve the quality of the high from a low quality bud - the magic of Terpenes

While I was in Nimbin recently at the 2008 Mardi Grass, I had the opportunity to sit and blow a joint with Ed Rosenthal. We got to talking about Terpenes, with particular regard to a chapter in Ed's latest Book, "The Big Book of Buds Vol. 3", called 'The Secret Chemistry of Cannabis Odors and Highs'.

The discussion led to a Terpene known as Myrcene, which is the most prevalent Terpene found in most varieties of Cannabis, but not found in hemp. It is also present in high amounts in mangos, hops, lemon grass, West Indian bay tree, verbena and the plant from which it derives it's name Mercia.

Myrcene appears in small amounts in the essential oils of many other plants.

It's odor is described as clove-like, earthy, green-vegetative, citrus, fruity with tropical mango and minty nuances.
Without going into too much detail from the book, Ed explained that the presence of Myrcene was an important factor in the quality and enjoyment of the high from smoking certain Cannabis strains, particularly those strains that came from tropical climates...namely Sativas.

Ed went on to tell me that it was possible to enhance the quality of the high from a low potency bud, through the addition of Myrcene. He went on to say that this could in fact be tested and verified. And this is how he told me to do it.
Say I had a nicely grown bud that was lacking in the 'Zing' department when smoked. If I was to eat a Mango one hour before smoking the bud, Ed said the addition of Myrcene to my body from the mango, would have a profound impact on the quality of the high, and I would notice the 'Zing' that was missing, had I just smoked the bud without having eaten the mango.

Yes folks, you heard it here. You can improve the quality of the high from a bud you smoke, if you eat a fresh mango ONE HOUR before smoking!

Yep... that is true.

Has anyone heard of or tried this ?

:weedpoke:
  • lebrony likes this

#2 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:24 PM

Related info:

Terpenes and .Cannabis.; Breeding for Flavor

The Green House Seed Company has started a real breeding revolution by providing customers (and anyone interested) with terpens profiles of the resin of all its strains. The 2008-2009 seed catalogue contains an example of this analysys for the White Widow, and Jack is busy updating the Green House website with all updated profiles for the other strains. It is truly an innovative step away from the effect-only approach to cannabis and into the world of smell and flavor, the conoisseur way, “a la carte”.

Cannabis is seen by many as a medicine or a recreational drug, but the more subtle aspect of it being an aromatic plant goes too often unnoticed. The herbs we use in our kitchen are considered aromatic plants because they contain a particular terpene profile that gives them a distinctive flavor. Cannabis is so complex from this point of view that the possible combinations are endless, creating a broad spectrum of aromas and flavors that differ with the strains and the way they are cultivated. We are opening a new way of breeding, a new frontier for all growers with a sweet tooth.

To give you an idea of what a terpene is, a quick look at Wikipedia reveals what follows:

The word terpenes defines a large and varied class of hydrocarbons, produced primarily by plants (conifers and cannabis) and more rarely by insects. Terpens are the major components of resin, oils and extracts. The name "terpene" is derived from the word "turpentine". Terpenes function as smell and taste molecules, and also as biosynthetic building blocks for the organism of almost all creatures. Terpenes are one of the most important components of the resin and essential oils of many types of plants and flowers.

Enough with the science. Let’s see how these terpens are affecting cannabis in the process of breeding on flavor.

The list of 16 terpens analyzed by Green House Seed Company is a selection of the most carachteristic and recognizable ones, the ones involved in the distinctive flavor of any strain of cannabis.
A few example:

Alpha-Pinene is an organic compound, found in the oils of many species of many species of pine trees. It is also found in the essential oil of rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis). 2 types of Alpha-pinene exist in nature, one more common in European pines, the other more common in North America. A mix of the two is present in the oil extracted from the eucalyptus tree. In the Green House range this terpene is at the highest level in the Super Silver Haze. So if you like pine-tree smelling and tasting weed, think of growing this strain, or use it for crossings.

Limonene is a hydrocarbon, classified as a cyclic terpene. It is a colourless liquid at room temperatures with an extremely strong smell of oranges. It takes its name from the lemon because lemon and other citrus fruits contain high quantities of this compound, which is responsible for much of their smell. In the Green house Strains is particularly high in the Lemon Skunk and the Big Bang.

Sabinene is a natural monoterpene and it is isolated from the essential oils of a variety of plants, mostly oak trees. Sabinene is one of the chemical compounds that contributes to the spiciness of black pepper and is a major constituent of carrot seed oil. It also occurs in tea tree oil at a low concentration. Again, this terpene is high in the Super Silver Haze and in the Arjan’s Ultra Haze #1.

Myrcene, or β-myrcene, is also an organic compound. It is classified as a hydrocarbon and a monoterpene. It is obtained from the essential oil from various plants: bay, verbena, myrcia (from which is gets its name) and others. Myrcene is one of the most important chemicals used in the perfumery industry. Because of its pleasant odor, it is occasionally used directly. But it is also highly valued as an intermediate for the preparation of flavor and fragrance chemicals such as menthol, citronella, and geraniol. It is extremely high in the White Widow.

Many more terpenes are present in the resin and analyzed, and this represent a guide, a useful tool for a more mature type of smoker, conscious about flavor, and for all breeders interested in following a particular aroma in their lines.

Besides the flavour issues, recent studies suggest that terpenes may play a role in the psychoactivity of cannabinoids. But this is a different story……

I would like to take this thread a step further, diving into a metaphor that illustrates the philosophy behind these terpens studies.

To a cannabis breeder and connoisseur smoker, these graphs are like a recipe-book for a Chef de Cusine.
They tell you what are the ingredients in the preparation, and in which quantities those ingredients are employed.
Nevertheless, every Chef will create a slightly different dish, based on many variables like the type of pan used, the type of oven, the origin, quality and quantity of ingredients, the freshness of the products used, and many more.
Never two dishes will be exactely the same, because this is not a mathematical science, is an art.

In the same way, breeders can use the terpens info to determine specific causes-effect relations between a perceived smell or flavor, and the actual presence of molecules leading the senses to that particular smell or flavor.

It is not mathematics, it's just a general overview, a guide.

Don't forget, there are more than just 16 terpens to flavor and smell.
We are not braking down the magic of nature here, we are just trying to define some criteria where to start playing. With our favorite plant ;-)

keep it green guys, smell the ripeness, taste the sweetness

Terpene graphs:

http://www.420magazi...o-approach.html

Attached: Cannabis Terpenes

Posted Image

Attached Thumbnails

• legenda-terpens2.jpg

• Shadowlord likes this

#3 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:32 PM

Background info:

Cannabis.aroma.and.flavor

http://www.cannabis-...oma_flavor.html

Cannabis.flower essential oil

http://en.wikipedia....r_essential_oil

#4 lebrony

lebrony

Stoner

• Expired Member
  • 416 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:19 PM

thats real interesting info!! tomorrow morning i'm getting a big bag of mangos!!!! :D

thanks hyp :eusa_clap

#5 Foster

Foster

cyanophile

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,254 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 May 2009 - 11:00 PM

Nice find and great info.:headbang:. Very interesting stuff. It seems as though Greenhouse is doing a lot more than just breeding potent weed these days.

I have noticed a few varieties do have subtle and not so subtle aromas and flavors that are unlike any others I have ran across. These are the ones you hope and pray to find that lone seed hiding in. :)

Cool stuff as always hyphae, thanks for sharing.

#6 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 May 2009 - 11:13 PM

It is also present in high amounts in (addition to mango) ... hops, lemon grass, West Indian bay tree, verbena and the plant from which it derives it's name Mercia.

Interesting to know. Worth looking into.

#7 ShroomGuerilla

ShroomGuerilla

Myco-Monkey

• Expired Member
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 12:56 PM

A great way to preserve
smell and taste in bubblehash,
involves adding a small amount of
high quality kief to your bubble.

This adds much of the smell and taste
that was lost through the water extraction.
Terpenes are water-soluble (some are not)
However, you can have your bubble
smelling the like dankest bag of herb,
by adding those lost terpenes.

Great find Hyph!
:bow:

#8 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 May 2009 - 04:06 PM

Researchers sniff out cannabis’ fragrance factor

Have you ever thought a cannabis strain smells like mango, melon, or even grapes? Well, it might not be your imagination. The odor of cannabis comes from over 120 terpenes (a.k.a. terpenoids fragrance molecules) that are made by the plant(1).

Terpenes have some interesting effects on humans, including modulating the effects of THC (2) and decreasing memory loss(3). Terpenes are non-toxic and other types of plants have a unique mixture as well. One terpene is unique to cannabis (m-mentha-1,8(9)-dien-5-ol). All others occur in fruits, vegetables, and flowers. Many of the beneficial terpenes on cannabis also occur in tropical fruits. So, maybe it isn’t your imagination when something smells like mango, melon, or even grapes.

Cannabis’ odor molecules may offer benefits to patients, as these molecules have medical applications of their own. At a recent cannabinoid science meeting Ethan Russo M.D. highlighted some of the most interesting aspects of terpenes; the fragrant component of cannabis(4):

Linolool has anti-anxiety and sedative properties (also in lavender).

Myrcene has analgesic, anti-inflammatory, and muscle relaxing properties (also in Mangos).

Nerolidol has sedative and anti-malarial properties (Also in citrus rind).

Terpenoids can also alter the effects of THC and other cannabinoids. It’s probably best to think of these skunky molecules as enhancing the positive effects of cannabis and reducing the negative effects of cannabis. ‘Skunky’ molecules should not be confused with ‘funky’ odors, from contamination such as fungus or, bacteria, a smell that resembles musk or moldy bread.

Unfortunately and ironically, the smell of cannabis causes a lot of trouble. Since THC does not have a smell, drug dogs are trained to find one, very smelly molecule called -caryophyllene-epoxide. It’s an unfortunate catch 22 for cannabis patients; that the odor molecules in cannabis are probable cause for police. Yet, smell has nothing to do with cannabis potency. Even the smelliest cannabis could, in theory, not have THC in its trichomes.

Non-cannabinoid parts, such as terpenes, are of medical importance and possibly central to understanding the diverse benefits and varieties of cannabis reported by patients-over 700 varieties of cannabis have been reported.

GW pharmaceutical’s cannabis extract, Sativex maintains a strict ratio of THC and CBD but also maintains a strict ratio of certain terpenes. The data on the cannabinoid content is widely available on the web and in cannabis scientific literature, yet the company doesn’t mentions what the actual concentrations of terpenoids might be.

You could try to sniff out the culprits but even the most well trained perfumist may not be able to pick out an individual terpene from cannabis.

Attempting to sniff out the terpene content of Sativex or cannabis is tempting and it’s hard not to speculate: is it linalool? Is it eugenol? Or is it 1,8-cineole? Only time (and our perhaps our noses) will tell.

By Jahan Marcu

Footnotes: 1) Grotenhermen, Russo. Cannabis and Cannabinoids. Page 34 (2002)
2) Agarwal et al. Research communication in substance abuse 1989;10:155-168.
3) Carta et al. Brain Research 1998; 809 (1);1-4.
4) O’Shannauesy’s Winter/Spring 2008. Russo Previews What’s in The Organic Pipeline

• GodofOldGodsWatching likes this

#9 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 May 2009 - 06:08 PM

I've been saying to friends for years that Cannabis is good enough now to be smelled for aromatherapy.

I picture aromatherapy lounges with comfy couches where the finest buds are broken up under your nose , while you get a massage , wearing a night-mask and listen to your favorite music.

#10 Dank Side Of The Shroom

Dank Side Of The Shroom

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 3,447 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 06:29 PM

ha wish i would of known that back when i could get shitty weed.

#11 alounacara

alounacara

Picktish Texas Style...

• OG VIP
  • 2,782 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 May 2009 - 07:08 PM

I just drink a few beers to enhance my smoke:dance:

#12 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 May 2009 - 07:53 PM

I just drink a few beers to enhance my smoke:dance:

It is also present in high amounts in Hops

#13 slashbin

slashbin

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 10:28 PM

I have known a lot of people that said they could smoke then drink, but not drink then smoke. Maybe this is why?

#14 gorilla

gorilla

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 115 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 07:29 PM

what about mango juice? fresh mangos are hard to come by in my area.

look at me, im going to make an experiment!

#15 procell

procell

OU812 ?

• OG VIP
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:56 AM

I have known a lot of people that said they could smoke then drink, but not drink then smoke. Maybe this is why?

I always thought it was , if your drunk, the sudden lack of oxygen which normally would make you a bit light headed from smoking is amplified and you get the spins. It's the sudden rush which makes you want to puke. Doesn't work the same in reverse, unless your doing a bunch of shots of tequilla. . . lol just my 2 cents

#16 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• OG VIP
  • 3,542 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:24 AM

Has anyone tried smoking hops? I have heard rumor it packs a buzz but then I've heard the same thing about banana peels LOL

#17 gorilla

gorilla

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 115 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 05:31 PM

id say this deserves further investigating, but it seems to work.

the experiment went as follows:
2 friends and i bought a mango, and shared it. we all noticed that we felt great after eating that mango, and one of the subjects mentinoed that he really felt like getting a "boner".

we then went in search of some crappy mids (regular, shwag, whatever u wanna call it). we were unable to find such, but stumbled upon some "kush". this had that indescribable, but lovely indica smell (very strong, fills the room), and that solid, thick, crystally goodness. if it wasnt almost completely indica, i dont know what is.

we smoked that kush (yng sneezy weezy stylez) and immediately, i noticed i was very, very high. but this was not the normal indica buzz, it was head high, and it was THICK! one subject, after a long period of silence, described himself as being "baked", which was followed up with a nice, long, healthy "geeking out" session.

we went out skateboarding, and noticed we did not really need to lay/ sit or anything, we were all very active. we got a little paranoid, and decided to head our own ways after awhile.

after a few hours, i noticed that the buzz had done a reverse, and i was feeling very lethargic and slow. i went home and at the same moment that my head hit that pillow, it was lights out for me.

all in all, the three of us agree that there was something to this mango thing, and we decided that we should try it again sometime, with the "crappy weed" (and pretty much any time we smoke).

#18 ShroomGuerilla

ShroomGuerilla

Myco-Monkey

• Expired Member
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 06:28 PM

... and one of the subjects mentinoed that he really felt like getting a "boner".

:eusa_eh: :crazy1: :special:

#19 gorilla

gorilla

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 115 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:29 PM

he's a weirdo

#20 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff