• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 felixdgr81

felixdgr81

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 04:34 PM

I am fruiting texas and taking prints on foil using the ol' inverted jar technique. I have observed that recently I am having difficulty producing nice dark prints. My prints have become very light in nature, even if I leave the caps on the foil for an extended period of time. I have left them on for 48-72 hours in some cases and still they are "light", as compared to the prints I collected from the first couple of flushes I had from this strain. I was fruiting amazonians before and never encountered this. I looked in the archives and whatnot, but I was wondering if anyone has observed simillar behaviour from the texas strain or other strains, and if so, how can this be combated?

Any assistance is appreciated.

#2 insight

insight

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 824 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 04:48 PM

My experiences have been to cut the cap early. Some may disagree, but this is where I have had luck. Around 1-3 days or so after veil break, when the cap has not fully lifted, I'll cut the cap off and place for printing. It seem that if the cap has already lifted (flatened), its too late and you lost a lot of spore. This is only my experience. I cant speak specifically for Texas prints, but Cubs in general.

#3 felixdgr81

felixdgr81

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 05:18 PM

I have traditionaly collected caps for printing the very first moment that I observe they are flat on the bottom, but before any visible spores have been released. (purple dust) That said, I normally get really nice dark purple prints using this method. Only recently have the prints been weak. I noticed that according to TMC, proper prints can be obtained while the veil is still attached to the cap, and in keeping with that, I have tried to collect earlier than usual as a way to overcome this issue. I have found that the prints are still weak even then. I am begining to wonder if there is an issue during fruiting that might be causing this, as I am fruiting from both streight verm casings and non cased cakes and prints from both are coming out this way. Strange indeed.

#4 insight

insight

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 824 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 05:23 PM

You have a good point. I dont know if the fruiting conditions may/may not play a role in the mushrooms depositing spores. It could be humidity related, but cant say for sure. I have recently been printing CR's and most of them are printing lightly compared to others.

(Message edited by insight on February 15, 2005)

#5 Guest_rodger_*

Guest_rodger_*

Posted 15 February 2005 - 05:28 PM

That's way too early to pick for printing. You should wait until the cap is dropping spores profusely before you pick it. Place it on your printing medium and leave for only a couple of hours. If you leave a cap printing for too long, there is the possibility of bacterial contamination. I also do not use a glass over the cap. Lay a paper towel or wax paper over it so air can circulate. That will also help to keep bacteria from forming.

#6 fender

fender

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 70 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 09:10 PM

Agreed.
i think you should also wait until the caps start turing black with spore deposits.
I have had good results from early picking, but they were not consistent.
Who knows if you are prematurely picking a low spore dropper, or even a sterile fruit?
But if you see a lot of spores being dropped by one speciman, you know you will get a thick print.

#7 felixdgr81

felixdgr81

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 08:03 AM

Thanks for the info fellas. I pulled one last night that was heavily dropping spores and sure enough it produced a much better print. You guys pm me if you want one! Least I can do.

#8 Guest_sugnuf_*

Guest_sugnuf_*

Posted 16 February 2005 - 09:11 AM

"Lay a paper towel or wax paper over it so air can circulate"

When you do this.. do you need to use a glovebox to take your print?

For example if i had a peice of Tyvek I would just lay the cap on top and then lay a paper towl over it and thats it? Do you need to store the spore print in a sterile bag ?

By the way Rodger..did you ever post a pic of your glovebox? I wanted to see what you were talking about as far as using the flame outside in the other post

(Message edited by sugnuf on February 16, 2005)

#9 Guest_rodger_*

Guest_rodger_*

Posted 16 February 2005 - 09:37 AM

I guess a piece of tyvek would be better than a paper towel for over the top. It's best to do spore printing in a glovebox, yes. You just don't want the cap too wet, because that feeds the bacteria. Don't mist on the day you're going to pick for printing.

I'll try to get some pictures of the glovebox up later.

#10 tobynutz

tobynutz

VIP Member

• Free Member
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 01:01 AM

is this dark enough????? lol as u can see i made 1 20cc syringe with one large mex-pal print. i made the syringe with honey water so it will turn to my soon as i hope to use it for all these grain jars i have laying around. hopefully i didnt screw anything up lol this was my first time making a syringe:)

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture 209.jpg

#11 cutty

cutty

Gone Fishin'

• Expired Member
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 01:04 AM

Very good job....You can probably make 15 more 20cc syringes from that easily.

#12 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 01:27 AM

my syringes are usually clear except for a few specs.......but i know there are millions of spores in there.......

you might experience some clogging problems with that syringe........

#13 Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Posted 02 March 2005 - 02:11 AM

i personally have had no luck with karo syringes... syringes are not air tight and i've found that they contam on me if i leave karo water in them, hope this is not the case for you but this has been my experience with them thus far...
LOST

#14 sinthetic

sinthetic

i party like a rock star

• Expired Member
  • 872 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 02:35 AM

yeah man, that syringe is wayyyyy to light. :D

j/k

#15 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 02 March 2005 - 10:27 AM

Dark enough? How could it get any darker? You do plan on making more syringes out of that don't ya? Damn dark syringe! LOL :)

#16 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 10:42 AM

is there any water in there?!?!?!?!?!?!!!?!?!?!!!
yeah you could probably have made about 20 syringes out of that, seriously.

keep us posted on what its used for
:D

#17 I_am_me

I_am_me

Odderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 10:58 AM

From your average sized dark print I like to make around 6 syringes or so.

#18 insight

insight

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 824 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 01:28 PM

Holy Shit! That looks like coffee, not a spore syringe! Colonization time should be very fast with that many spores (if not diluted).
Good Luck Toby.

#19 cutty

cutty

Gone Fishin'

• Expired Member
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 01:16 AM

Holy Shit! That looks like coffee, not a spore syringe! Colonization time should be very fast with that many spores (if not diluted).
Good Luck Toby.

Exactly,I used a syringe that looked somethin like Toby's and 11 days later the whole outside of the jars (1 Pint) are colo'd and thats a multispore (5cc) nocc up I'm talkin...Now Im confused to how much longer to wait until the inside of the substrate is fully colo'd.:confused:

Good luck Toby.

#20 insight

insight

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 824 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 10:47 PM

So while I was at Wally World tonight, I remembered that if Jet Dry is added to spore water, it acts as a suspension agent. How much would I add to 10-12cc's of water. Also, whats the deal with Astrolube?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!