• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 mushaman

mushaman

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 127 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 11:40 PM

Hey all. I've been pondering for quite some time on how new mushroom strains are created. How do they mate hehe? Hopefully someone can shed some light into this subject for me.
thanks
mushaman

#2 Dank Side Of The Shroom

Dank Side Of The Shroom

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 3,447 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 12:34 AM

most strains are named as where they are found. Like gulf coast is from florida.

#3 mushaman

mushaman

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 127 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 10:17 AM

anyone? yo hip your an expert, got any comments?
mush

#4 max

max

canadian

• Banned Member
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 10:42 AM

We don't really 'create' new strains, they are collected from around the planet. Some of the sleazier vendors might just 'make up a name' but that isn't right.

#5 mushaman

mushaman

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 127 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 12:21 PM

So its not like marijuana where you pollinate a female with a male and have that offspring with both characteristics?
mush

#6 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 27 December 2005 - 02:16 PM

As we have seen with RR and sheds PE6 and the PF Albino crosses that Workman and I are working on, strains can be maniplulated to some extent. I don't know that it could be labelled as strain creation but some new strains may be the result of our tampering. At least with albino. The PE6 seems to be fairly stable and I think it's earned the right to be called a strain. I believe that some of todays strains have been created by similar work and breeding but the majority of strains are created naturally and discovered by people like Mushroom John.

Oh, and to answer your question mushaman, no, not quite the same or as easy. With the PE6 snake venom was used on the spores to allow the exchange of dna and with the albino crosses a monokaryotic mycelial isolate was used.

#7 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 27 December 2005 - 02:34 PM

Dixieland was named for the area it was collected.

#8 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 27 December 2005 - 02:42 PM

Dixieland was named for the area it was collected.

Make that MJ and D8! :love:

#9 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 27 December 2005 - 02:46 PM

Thanks, tco. MJ is way above and beyond my minor role in the whole scheme of things. The compliment is greatly appreciated though. :) :heart:

#10 mushaman

mushaman

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 127 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 02:53 PM

Quite a process I must say. So what spores were used to make PE6? And what was the DNA from in the exchange? Do you have a link to this process?
mush

#11 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 27 December 2005 - 03:38 PM

Quite a process I must say. So what spores were used to make PE6? And what was the DNA from in the exchange? Do you have a link to this process?
mush

It was PE and Texan or vice versa. There was a huge thread in regards to it. Not sure if it's still here. It may have got lost in the upgrade. I don't think Rodger really got into the details of the process. Of course my memory is a little sketchy on the subject.

#12 spacecowboy

spacecowboy

in a major life change-jj

• Expired Member
  • 910 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 02:44 PM

Here is some good reading on strain creation and mating from the archives:

http://www.mycotopia...html?1059106285

#13 Bluejay

Bluejay

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 04:18 PM

Well if say pans are four spored lets label shroom one like this
;

AA BB CC DD

And shroom print two this:

aa bb cc dd

By mixing two prints at once woulnt some spores pair up together mixing dna

Example:

AA aa BB BB CC cc DD DD> produces a fruitbody with some intermixing of DNA

Or: AA AA BB bb CC cc DD dd..A new fruitbody with some new dna

This would be all CHANCE FROM THE INDIVIDUAL SPORES FLOATING THEN SPROUTING. thus mono to dy something then to a fruitbody

#14 Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Posted 28 December 2005 - 04:32 PM

well yes it's very possible that in such a situation that some of the spores from differnt prints would pair up...
but there would be no way to know or prove if there was indeed any sort of cross
even under a microscope the spores from the different prints would be indistingiable from one another
there are a few different ways to go about createing a new strain... but they all require a nice microscope and a lot of work.. really more work then it would be with 99.9% of the time
making a superstrain of cubie would be much more easily accomplished threw selective printing and fruiting then creating a new strain IMO
LOST

#15 Bluejay

Bluejay

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 04:43 PM

Im saying mix prints and keep growing out till the fruitbody you want is found.

Like a tall skinny large capped stemmed pan cloned then take spores..

Then a fat stemmed pans spores. mix grow out till the fruit body with a a fat stem and a large cap is found.

Prolly would take many grows but it could be done this way I believe..

#16 Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Posted 28 December 2005 - 04:50 PM

but without a scope you have no way of knowing if the spores actually crossed..
what you are talking about is selective printing of substrains not breading a new strain... and could just as easily be done with one strain only insteed of mixing prints...
lost

#17 Bluejay

Bluejay

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 08:12 PM

No Im talking about taking a aussie pan print and mixing it with a goliath or a large florida print(have the original from years back put up) and createing a a large and abundant fruiter.

It is a new strain if it has dna from shrooms half a world apart!

#18 reefer

reefer

Mod of the Ocean

• Expired Member
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 08:59 PM

(nevermind) :rasta:

#19 Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Posted 29 December 2005 - 01:25 AM

well just b/c you got a large fruiter doesn't mean its a new strain
without a scope you have no way of knowing if the FL spores actually mated with the Goliath spore or with another FL spore..
LOST

#20 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 29 December 2005 - 06:14 PM

This would be all CHANCE FROM THE INDIVIDUAL SPORES FLOATING THEN SPROUTING. thus mono to dy something then to a fruitbody

This is the pricipal behind my spore dilution theory. The dilution adds space between the spores so that when they germinate there is a better chance of A crossing B without all the substrains of A crossing A or B crossing B occuring as they would in a non diluted environment thus overiding the results of any A crossing B. Wow! That was long winded.

Lost is right. The whole thing would be most difficult to prove without actual and costly dna testing. Although IF the two strains were compatable I'm sure there was a minor degree of dna exchange and it's probably being drown out by all the other clamping that is occuring within the dominant strain. The results would more than likely be more at a cellular level and not noticed in the appearance of the fruiting body. This is one reason I like using the PF Albino for such experiments. The albino gene seems to transfer quite readily and is as we've seen so far quite easy to distinguish when the transfer actually occurs.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!