6 replies to this topic

#1 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 May 2009 - 03:12 PM

Here is a pasteurization method for all you beginners out there. I didn't invent it, actually got the method off of Major Millet's tek. Works like a charm. I just hear so many problems with ppl pasteurizing that I decided to post this for those of you who have trouble.

It is tried and tested and works with less contamination factor than most methods out there imho. until you get pasteurization down.

Now, we won't get into arguments about anything here. I know there are bigger and better ways of doing pasteurization. Such as steam with a steam/temp gauge or in a cooler. Many many methods. This is just one method.

I feel this is a fail safe way to pasteurize for even the easiest beginner. It worked so well I have never tried another method since then. This might be a different story if your doing about 20 bulk tubs worth of substrate. You might want a barrel then.

And I know many have the problems with doing it in the oven with smell and such. As long as your dung is dry and composted. The smell will not be anything. The mess is also minimal bc your using a mixing box to mix your substrate. you just rinse out the box when your done. The subs smell like dirt.

Easy Pasteurization using turkey tins

Materials:

1) a turkey tin from walmart or grocery store

2) some medium grade foil

3) your substrate and some water

4) a sterilite plastic bin for mixing or anything you can use to mix in. a big bucket

Instructions:

1) preheat oven to 170. some ovens lowest setting are 200. this is ok. set it to 200. ive done it for years at that temp with no problems.

2)take your big bucket and mix up your substrate to just above field capacity. this means, instead of having one drip between your finger when you squeeze the sub in your hand, you have about two drips or a steady flow of water. you want just slightly above field capacity to account for water loss due to evaporation.

3) once you achieve moisture content. stick your sub into the turkey tin. you can compress it as much as you like to fit more subs into the tin. although light and fluffy is how i do it. i actually use these turkey tins as my measuring volume for substrates. its easy to judge that two turkey tins full is one of my single tubs filled to about 3" sub depth with 2 to 3 quarts spawn used. it may vary depending on the size of your fruiting chamber. now, the standard oven will fit 4 turkey tins stacked on top of each other. you may have to pull the metal racks out and leave the bottom rack in place to stack them that high. either way. you can do 2 tubs a day with this. if you want a rotation. get 8 turkey tins. when the first 4 are done. you can easily take those out to cool. then put in your 4 newly mixed subs into the oven for another pasteurizion. allowing you to total 4 bins per day at spawning.

tin.jpg

you can hear arguments about this being a small amount of substrate. for personal use its fine. and a 4 tub a week rotation is plenty for yield.

4) cover the turkey tin in foil. then place it in the oven for 2.5 hours minimum. the 30 mins extra is to account for allowing the substrate inner temp to get to pasteurization temps. once that happens. then you want to pasteurize for 2 hours solid.  you can easily fit 4 in most ovens.

over1230.jpg

oven1231.jpg

5) once the 2.5 hours is up. allow your subs to cool. take your turkey tin out to your clean area for spawning.

Edited by eatyualive, 17 August 2014 - 03:02 PM.

• Fresh Brewed, ishkaboo, Ferretious and 5 others like this

#2 Psoulocybe

Psoulocybe

Hoopy Frood

• Expired Member
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:11 PM

I use my old canning steamer and do my substrate the same way. I tried other methods, but for the volume I like, this is perfect. I can get 2 tubs in one oven cycle :) Thanks for sharing Eats

#3 Frequency

Frequency

Code Demon

• OG VIP
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 12:17 AM

Archive material bump :bow:

#4 Ferretious

Ferretious

Mycelium or your's?

• Expired Member
  • 728 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 12:56 AM

Great alternative!
I think we all need to know the alternatives in case our mainstay method collapses for one reason or another.
Good stuff EUA!:bow:

#5 RedOctober

RedOctober

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 338 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 01:02 AM

I like this method a lot and use it all the time. I just stick the substrate in a pot with the lid on and throw it in the oven for 4 hours at 160. Seems to work.

The one thing I never understood is how people pasteurize poo in water. I know lots of people do it and post pics all the time. Yet every time I try it, I end up with mud. Perhaps the laws of physics cease to exist on my stove. So any kind of manure, I now oven pasteurize. I don't think you'd have the mud problem with steam past, but I've never tried it. Straw I pasteurize in water just to get it wet.

#6 Lakegal7

Lakegal7

Student of Life

• Free Member
  • 585 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 October 2015 - 01:32 PM

For my last four grows I have taken 2 - 1 gallon glass jars , cover w/ foil, bake at 200 degrees F for 1- 1 1/2 hours. Never had any problems. If my casing has been sitting for a while I hydrate a little and re bake.
  • Heirloom and skunk like this

#7 Heirloom

Heirloom

Quantum Particle

• OG VIP
  • 4,631 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 October 2015 - 04:16 PM

nice of you to find this post and bump it up. I need to make a casing for my first pans cambo fruiting.

everyone has an oven

• Lakegal7, skunk and DBCMushie like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!