• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jordan86

Jordan86

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 630 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 01:16 PM

I'm looking to grow a small herb garden for supplying my kitchen.

Any tips?

I want oregano and basil for sure. Maybe some cilantro. I've never grown herbs before. My cousin has an herb garden and would probably give me some tips after it has been started. I could grow in small bed, I have that option. Or I could grow in little pots.

I live in Louisiana, it's warm and wet here. Supposedly its a good state for growing anything.

#2 Doctor D

Doctor D

(Not a real doctor)

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,259 posts

Donator

Posted 06 June 2009 - 01:32 PM

Garlic is super easy to grow, as are the other onion-like plants. I hear that ginger is pretty easy to grow, too.

Be careful growing mint if you have a lawn or yard that you care about, because mint takes over like wildfire and is hard to control once it gains a foothold. I'm constantly battling my neighbor's mint garden. Potted mint plants might work better than sown directly in the ground.

#3 bugs

bugs

Are we having fun yet?

• OG VIP
  • 3,260 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 June 2009 - 03:33 PM

I've seen some real pretty herb gardens done directly in the soil, and lots of people grow in pots.
I'd say, if it's just a little, go with containers. If you want to grow, say, lots of basil so you can freeze a bunch of pesto, do it in the dirt.
My ex has basil, chives, and parsley in little rectangular planters on the windowsill.
I'm going with a little raised garden, one of those underbed Sterilite containers with a bunch of holes in the bottom, mounted on a wooden frame and filled with pro-mix.
Will post pix when I get the camera back.

#4 johnnydigital

johnnydigital

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 718 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 03:50 PM

Herb gardens are wonderful. We HAD one, just on the window sill and it did wonderful. They are super easy peasy to maintain once you get them going... herbs seem to be REALLY hardy. The potted herbs are also pretty cheap. We had chamomile and mint outside growing in our flowerbed.. and the good Doctor is correct, it does grow and spread pretty fast. I think we had dill, cilantro, basil, parsley, and sage... good stuff. And it's so satisfying too. GROW LOG!!!:headbang:

#5 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,904 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 July 2009 - 12:07 PM

Heres a pic of my little indoor herb garden. Under 125 watt CFL. Catnip, oregano, basil, rosemary. Catnip is by far the fastest grower, but its a mint.

MG Organic potting soil, earthworm castings, perlite, and espoma organic fertilizer.

Attached Thumbnails

• Photo 114.jpg

#6 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 12:26 PM

Thyme is a nice addition to an herb garden, but it has very sensitive roots so be careful when planting. I killed my first few thyme plants because i handled the root ball too roughly.

Aphids freakin LOVE cilantro. The only reason i grow it anymore is to keep the aphids off my other plants. :eusa_wall

#7 bosshogg

bosshogg

spore-cano

• Expired Member
  • 725 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 12:30 PM

potted herb garden is the way to go. keeps everything nice and neat.

like stated before some of the herbs will take over your yard if not kept under control.

the other good advantage is you can bring them indoors during the winter months. i did this last year with a few of my herbs and it worked great. my red chili plant actually flowered and produced peppers in feb.

#8 Jordan86

Jordan86

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 630 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 12:56 PM

my basil and oregano are both growing great. Especially the Basil. I've gotten some use out of both in my kitchen. I grew them in pots. very easy.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!