12 replies to this topic

#1 eastwood

eastwood

Dragon Bait

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,612 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 June 2009 - 05:36 AM

I was out of karo and during the heat of the moment i decided to use molasses.I used 250ml water and added 1/2 teaspoon molasses.We will see how it goes.I'll get a photo up if i start seeing growth then ill shoot up a test jar.

Has anyone heard of this being done?If so how was the results?

#2 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,297 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 June 2009 - 10:35 AM

Seems to me it should work just fine. The only concern will be the extraneous crap
floating around in the LC, as molasses is pretty raw stuff. Overall, seems to me like
it should work as well if not better than karo, as there's more nutes in the raw product?

:)

soliver

#3 xxcportxx

xxcportxx

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 177 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 11:52 AM

My FOAF is not sure on how much to use, but he has seen it in Mushroom Cultivation books, maybe Waynes he said, and it worked fine if it was in there..... but a ratio of 1:40 should work he's thinking

#4 Awestruck

Awestruck

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 127 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 12:04 PM

On the up side, molasses is packed full of vitamin and mineral nutrients that simple karo lacks.

#5 eastwood

eastwood

Dragon Bait

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,612 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 June 2009 - 02:35 PM

Seems to me it should work just fine. The only concern will be the extraneous crap
floating around in the LC, as molasses is pretty raw stuff. Overall, seems to me like
it should work as well if not better than karo, as there's more nutes in the raw product?

:)

soliver

I thought that might happen but there is no there debree floating in the jar.Its actually pretty clear.It looks like tea.

On the up side, molasses is packed full of vitamin and mineral nutrients that simple karo lacks.

This is what i was thinking too.

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture 206.jpg

#6 mestophilies

mestophilies

Suit Up!

• OG VIP
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 04:12 PM

pulling up a chair....:eusa_clap

#7 cattlexing

cattlexing

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:37 PM

Did anyone have any success with this tek? My friend will be trying it today...

#8 buteo

buteo

Imbicilzzzz

• OG VIP
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:59 PM

nice!

#9 eastwood

eastwood

Dragon Bait

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,612 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 July 2009 - 03:55 PM

This molasses lc has the same growth as any karo or honey lc that i have made in the past.

After one week of growth i moved it to a cooler area.Its full of mycelium.

So the verdict is:Molasses works its just not as clear as a karo or honey LC .

The brf jars i inoculated with the lc had very fast growth.

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture 216.jpg

• Heirloom likes this

#10 GadgetGuy

GadgetGuy

~Resident Perv~

• Expired Member
  • 3,015 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 July 2009 - 06:37 PM

So no worse and no better? Sweet! I think that is something that a lot of people may have just laying around the house as well. My friend is having minimal luck with his LC's they grow out but not real thick like some of the people on the board. He is going to try a built in airport on his next one to see if the gas/air exchange will help them a little. What psi/time did you sterilize this at?

#11 eastwood

eastwood

Dragon Bait

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,612 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:20 PM

He is going to try a built in airport on his next one to see if the gas/air exchange will help them a little. What psi/time did you sterilize this at?

Sup Gadget.Here are a few things i have found that are essential for a healthy lc .

Some folks mess up filling there jars up to much.If your using a quart jar use 500ml of water.The extra air space in the quart jar will provide enough sterile air for the mycelium to stay healthy an thrive.This is a major factor.always leave breathing room.

The lid set up.Poke ya two holes in the lid and make self healing injection ports using rtv.Very important.

Make you a airport syringe.This will also give extra airspace in the quart jar somewhat sterile air when you are pulling solution from the jar.A airport syringe is esssential for lc.

There is no need to leave a airport syringe in the lc at all times.When you are pulling solution from the lc using the airport syringe it replenishes the air supply IMO .
  • goodnightmoon likes this

#12 GadgetGuy

GadgetGuy

~Resident Perv~

• Expired Member
  • 3,015 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:13 PM

Ok. My friend has been using 1/2 pint widemouth canning jars filled halfway with 1tsp karo and recently 1/2 tsp karo and 1/2 tsp honey per Irishlions new tek. He has had success but wishes they could be thicker thus less cc's per innoculation. Maybe he should try quart jars just to see what happens.... He has an airport syringe which has removed the need for a glovebox and removing the lid (godsend!!!). He is also very used to using silicone injection ports they just don't grow out like he has seen pics of. Maybe less pc time? He hasn't seen a LOT of carmelization and finally adjusted his gas stove to PC at 12 PSI which seems to reduce the heat. He hasn't tried another LC since. Thanks for the wisdom :bow::bow::bow:

#13 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:27 AM

cool.:headbang:

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!