• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Frequency

Frequency

Code Demon

• OG VIP
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 02:17 PM

Hey all, I posted this little tek for making your own High-Pressure Sodium lighting kit over at grasscity a while ago and I thought you guys could benefit here too!

Wiring it up is very easy. It consists of:

• HPS Bulb & Socket + Metallic Cover Cone
  • The Power Cord from an Old Deep Fat Friar 220v (from a Wendy's restaurant)
  • Igniter + Power Source in Glass Ashtray + Wiring Harness + Wires
Put them together with a little electrical knowledge and you have yourself a cheap HPS ballast in your closet! pwnd :D It's serving me quite well!

:headbang:

Attached Thumbnails

• hps3.jpg
  • hps1.jpg
  • hps2.jpg

#2 ShroomGuerilla

ShroomGuerilla

Myco-Monkey

• Expired Member
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 07:39 PM

Great stuff.
Im too scared of blowing myself through a wall
to mess around with all that jazz.
Kudos to you though.
:weedpoke:

#3 roscoe

roscoe

Not a mycologist.

• OG VIP
  • 2,911 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 June 2009 - 05:34 AM

i dont want to be a nit picker butt...

let me start off by saying im a state certified electrician, not and engineer.
i dont want to hear about you burning down your house and\or getting busted.

but here goes. first, you need to mount all the equipment in a metal box. with a lid. you then bond the box to the ground lead of any equipment that has one. via a ground wire preferably green, not that the current cares about color its so you know what it is. next duct tape neh any tape is an inappropriate means of secureing ANYTHING in an electrical system. use screws, metal pipe clamps, two screw connectors, or the like. any time the wires go through a hole in any metal they MUST be protected via a plastic bushing or some sort of wire retention type thingy, they are CHEAP. and last you need ATLEAST one half of an inch between the light and any combustibles ie. wood. since its home made i would keep it minimum of one inch till you run it for a long session and check for heat. we all know heat builds quickly in these situations.

if you have any questions about electricity and how to work and use it safe do not hesitate to pm me. that goes for any topiates. i love you all and want you to be safe. i would bet that electricity has killed WAY more people than the night shade family! it only takes half of a milliamp to kill you. thats two decimal places to the right, if you care.:love:
  • Frequency likes this

#4 Frequency

Frequency

Code Demon

• OG VIP
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 12:14 PM

Great stuff.
Im too scared of blowing myself through a wall
to mess around with all that jazz.
Kudos to you though.

Thanks SG! I often risk my safety to satisfy idle curiosities. Part of being a scientist... or a madman. ^_^

i dont want to be a nit picker butt...

i love you all and want you to be safe. i would bet that electricity has killed WAY more people than the night shade family! it only takes half of a milliamp to kill you. thats two decimal places to the right, if you care.:love:

Totally bro, I appreciate the advice! Any suggestions that might prevent me from killing myself in the process are welcome! lol. It was just something quick I rigged up and you should be thankful I chose a glass ashtray for a heat-buffer instead of dry timber like I was going to use! :loveeyes: j/k - Just a neat little rig I thought I'd share and I encourage all of you to be as safe as possible when rigging up stuff like this. Thanks for commenting for our safety roscoe! I'll see if I can't upgrade a bit for my own protection.

#5 Psoulocybe

Psoulocybe

Hoopy Frood

• Free Member
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 12:49 PM

Built a couple ballasts... I've used old computer cases or project boxes from radio shack. Get yourself a dremmel :)

#6 Guest_jay pheno_*

Guest_jay pheno_*

Posted 19 June 2009 - 05:15 PM

thats gheto diy ,, wooot ! :headbang:

thinking outside the box ! :eusa_clap

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!