• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 Sky Rayven

Sky Rayven

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 652 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 08:00 PM

Hmm....It doesn't seem so extreme. looks really simple. less time spent. Stick this here, stick that there and kaboom, no mus no fus IMHO.

#22 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 26 September 2006 - 09:23 PM

Believe what you want, but this is a true experience: I once worked in the plastics industry selling the plastic gallon jugs for water to bottling/filling plants. One day in the deep south, I was visiting a very small plant which was having problems of some sort, the matter which is not relevant here. What IS relevant, however, is whenever the filler operator came across a dented jug, he would PUT IT UP TO HIS MOUTH & BLOW IN IT TO REMOVE THE DENTS! Poor old boy just didn't have a nickel worth of brains! So the next time you might think whatever is sterile in that jug, picture this TRUE story. Sterile my ass!

I've had some troubles thoughout the years with syringes that were factory sealed and labelled sterile. One bout not all that long ago..some strange white shit. Out of all the distilled water I've found maybe a few gallons with bacteria. One not that long ago either and one could even see the bacteria under a microscope. These sorts of problems are rare but they do occur. I almost always sterilize just to be sure but I suppose one could go for years without and never have a problem.

#23 1984isnow

1984isnow

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 10:59 PM

Yeah Hippie that is exactly what was going to be done. The water jug already has blobs of RTV adhesive and the airport is ready to go. Just didn't want to screw a bunch of stuff up.

No fuss... that is what the goal is here. :thumbup:

Thanks for the input. So it is safe to say problems with contamants in bottled distilled water are rare.

#24 Pixie Dust

Pixie Dust

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 122 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 11:52 PM

Damn, I didnt even think of the possibility of unsterile needles.. Can the spore solution be contaminated (at manufactureurs fault)?

So how long must you boil water?

and I will use the airport system in next grow

#25 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 07:04 AM

Yeah Hippie that is exactly what was going to be done. The water jug already has blobs of RTV adhesive and the airport is ready to go. Just didn't want to screw a bunch of stuff up.

No fuss... that is what the goal is here. :thumbup:

Thanks for the input. So it is safe to say problems with contamants in bottled distilled water are rare.

i recommend taping over the rtv adhesive blob just to make sure it doesn't accidently pop off as needles enter/exit, doesn't stick as well on plastic so tape is extra layer of security just in case

#26 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 07:09 AM

a 20 minute boil should sterilize plain water well enough pixie.
and yes of course using unsterile syringes would contam the solution.

#27 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 07:14 PM

That airport system rocks....

So you are saying that distilled water is just good to go, just use an airport???

Thats a hell of an idea... I always just assumed the water was sterilized per the distillation process but that the jugs were filled in the open air.....

#28 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 07:18 PM

if one had an ultraviolet sterilizer
one could make sure still without opening it...
but i've tested enough to be pretty confident that like 95% are sterile
if it's distilled,
don't try that on spring water or the cheap shit,
get pure steam distilled and you should be good

i suppose if one was careful
one could microwave them enough
to ensure full sterility
without melting the jug
but you'd need to zero in on the needed power/time duration
for your particular 'wave and brand of water.
submersing the jug in a hot water bath to heat it would also work,
it's essentially clean anyway
just worried about a few stray microbes
so pasteurization temps of about 160*F
would raise sterility from that 95% figure to more like 99.9%
but frankly i think such extremes are un-needed,
if you get a bad one i'd switch brands.

#29 iamsmiley

iamsmiley

the ice woman

• Expired Member
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 08:03 PM

i have injected distilled water out of jugs and had better than 90% colinize on mycobags i mixed to dry and i think distilled water is generally fine to use straight out of the bottle.I just stuck the syringe directly into the soft plastic cap without ever opening the bottle up to the air.I even use distilled water in perlite to prevent bacteria but i find salt in city tap water to work just as well

#30 Cryingblackoil

Cryingblackoil

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 389 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 09:53 AM

They are all UV sterilized after being sealed so that they can be stored almost indefinitly (for example in a tornado shelter). Read the fine print on the label.

That being said still use the airport because the second you open it its no longer sterile :P

#31 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 29 September 2006 - 10:43 AM

So the bacteria I saw were most likely dead.

#32 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 11:03 AM

95 -99% is just plain awesome. And the ease of use is unbeatable.

In stamets books he talks about always having 'blanks' for your various stages. That way if you get a contamed set of jars, you can look to the blanks to better determine which vector of contamination is in play. Well, if one was concerned their bottle falls in the 1 -5% of contamed bottles, and they are doing a big or important grow, that person could just use a blank a few days before to test it. Agar users would have even better results.

Brilliant idea, imo.

#33 cortez

cortez

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 01:17 PM

It is never completely steril, they never thaught that to you in science classes? But normally you shouldn't have probs I guess

#34 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 29 September 2006 - 04:08 PM

It is never completely steril, they never thaught that to you in science classes? But normally you shouldn't have probs I guess

:lol: So maybe they weren't dead...just suntanned :p

#35 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 05:25 PM

They are all UV sterilized after being sealed so that they can be stored almost indefinitly (for example in a tornado shelter). Read the fine print on the label.

That being said still use the airport because the second you open it its no longer sterile :P

doesn't say anything about sterility on the label of the jug right beside me ATM

#36 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 07:06 PM

What does ATM mean?

#37 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 07:08 PM

at the moment
:bow:

#38 shadyfigure

shadyfigure

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 271 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 11:25 PM

proly fairly rare though, odin.
most are sterile enough until opened
my airport system is perfect for pulling sterile water right out of an unopened jug
http://mycotopia.net...40&d=1129720108

wow, that's great i never thought of doing it like that. no more microwaving cups of tap water and burning my hands. hurray!

#39 Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Posted 30 September 2006 - 03:02 AM

i'm with TCO
i always just PC a 1/2 pint of distilled water and use the airport tek..
it's just nice to know it's sterile and i normaly throw it in with the syringes or LC jars
LOST

#40 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 30 September 2006 - 03:19 AM

nice. i have some uv sterilization lights available to me...always wanted to build a UV sterilizing hood to keep in the glovebox but always too scared around the spores and whatnot.. i guess it could be designed to shield light on the sides but i havent put any thought into it hehe has anyone played around with these lamps before?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!