85 replies to this topic

#21 Dan Dare

Dan Dare

Pilot of the Future

• Free Member
  • 201 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 07:41 PM

So how many are in this tent?

LotRev's got it in one mate, just the two.

If you build another one of these tents, you should map it all out for the rest of us.

Hey mate, which aspect in particular - or everything ? I have all the dimensions for all the components of the two platforms (for the grow tent and header tank) and of course the scrog frame and grow tent. If you wish, I'll post all the dimensions if its any help.

Would you mind giving us the timeline of a typical grow from clone to harvest?
And any particular tekniques for topping and branching?

The new closet that is in construction is more your style so I'm keen to duplicate your success.

I've been taking pics of a grow since day 1 for a grow diary. Its now on day 43. The grow day each image was taken on is the image name. Here goes...

Note image 4 is where the tip is folded over, I use a bag tie for this and is my preferred method. I used to top, before using the FIM technique and sometimes supercropping, but these days I just tent to fold the tips over, no plant shock and so very quick results - does the job.

At day 43 now, there's still a few more weeks left on these gals, and they'll fatten up nicely no doubt :rasta:
Next week each tanks nute solution will be replaced with pH adjusted water and GH Ripen, about 80 ml in each tank.

Day 22 veg was when the lights were switched to 12/12. That's 22 days from the day the cuttings were transferred to the DWC bubblers (no drippers btw). 3 week veg time is about average I'd say, during the stretch phase the branches will need to be managed to keep them from overrunning the net, but with a bit of bonzai savvy branch training, its no problem filling the entire screen.

So you got 14oz from one plant?

I'd say 14 oz is about average for that wattage from a single plant in this style of horticultural scrog setup on a 5 square foot screen. The oldest grow room I have is the cubby grow, it typically yields anywhere from 13 oz to 15 oz. Its always been fitted with a 400 watter, the same 400 watter for many many years. The scrog screen is exactly 5 square feet, whereas the tents are 10 square feet. So whatever yields are reaped with the cubby grow with a single plant, can be doubled (at least) in the grow tents with 2 plants.
With a minimum of 80 watts per sq ft, its not too difficult to achieve circa 3 oz per sq ft in the cubby grow. 3 of the tents are now boasting 100 watts per sq ft rather than 80. My goal is to surpass 30 oz from one tent. 25 oz is easy, but this next grow to be finished will surpass the last and I'm quite looking forward to seeing what gains have been made.

Attached Thumbnails

• Day 43 005.jpg
  • Day 43 002.jpg
  • Day 43 003.jpg
  • Day 43 004.jpg
  • Day 43 001.jpg
  • Day 22 veg (day 1 flower) 001.jpg
  • Day 22 veg (day 1 flower) 002.jpg
  • Day 22 flower 001 (1).jpg
  • Day 20.jpg
  • Day 22 flower 001.jpg
  • Day 11.jpg
  • Day 2 c.jpg
  • Day 12.jpg
  • Day2 a.jpg
  • Day 2 b.jpg

• Rhyno likes this

#22 Rhyno

Rhyno

1%

• OG VIP
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:29 PM

Nice work! Great thread and pictures also.

#23 Dan Dare

Dan Dare

Pilot of the Future

• Free Member
  • 201 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:34 PM

A few more random pics of my earlier SCROGs I've managed to dredge up, same strain as above

A few recent bud shots, same strain as above

Attached Thumbnails

• wooden frame scrog2.JPG
  • wooden frame scrog.JPG
  • budshot5.JPG
  • grow_images_005.JPG
  • budshot4.JPG
  • budshot3.JPG
  • budshot2.JPG
  • budshot1.JPG

• greenie likes this

#24 procell

procell

OU812 ?

• OG VIP
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:54 PM

LotRev's got it in one mate, just the two.

Thanks bro, that's the setup I need. Basically, veg til it's fat just under the screen then 12/12?
I was going to use is ebb&flo, but bubblers are soooo easy and tend to grow plants faster than E&F. I like the way E&F hardens the plant a bit more, might have to do a side by side test. Grow one in the res, then pump the nutes to the other plant and flo back. . .

#25 Jaspmf

Jaspmf

Watchin em' grow

• Expired Member
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 01:11 AM

How reflective is the tent surface?

Have you considered adding mylar or some other highly reflective to the walls above the screen?

Cheers

#26 Jaspmf

Jaspmf

Watchin em' grow

• Expired Member
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 01:14 AM

BTW I like the carbon filters on the inside of the tent. :cool: Nice n' stealthy on the outside :reb: Although I doubt that's what you're going for...I've never thought of doing it for some reason

#27 Dan Dare

Dan Dare

Pilot of the Future

• Free Member
  • 201 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 03:52 PM

Basically, veg til it's fat just under the screen then 12/12?

I tend to flower when the plants are touching about 1/3 of the scrog screen. If you leave it a little late and the branches stretch a little too much, just pull them back under and criss-cross them underneath until they're the length you need above the screen. This works up to a point, beyond which they'll need to get chopped.

How reflective is the tent surface?

Have you considered adding mylar or some other highly reflective to the walls above the screen?

Cheers

I'm unclear how the white wall efficiency rates against that of mylar, being white the reflected light is scatttered rather than being reflected specularly as with mylar, mirrors, etc. Though it may do the job, I prefer mylar and if there were an easy, clean way to replace the white surface with mylar I'd probably do it even if just for aesthetic value, with any other benefit being a bonus ;)

#28 procell

procell

OU812 ?

• OG VIP
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 06:41 PM

I'm unclear how the white wall efficiency rates against that of mylar, being white the reflected light is scatttered rather than being reflected specularly as with mylar, mirrors, etc.

That was my understanding as well, that the soft bounce from a white surface as opposed to a point reflection from a mirror's surface is better for the plant and more even.

#29 Jaspmf

Jaspmf

Watchin em' grow

• Expired Member
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:58 PM

Interesting!

Never heard that before. An interesting thought indeed.
I :heart: mylar

Hard to question someone getting 1.3 g/w though :D

#30 Dan Dare

Dan Dare

Pilot of the Future

• Free Member
  • 201 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 02:04 PM

Cheers for the comments everyone !

Basically, veg til it's fat just under the screen then 12/12?

Just as an example, the cubby grow has vegged for 3 weeks, just now switched the lights to 12/12.

day 1 flower.jpg

#31 prism

prism

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 5,943 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 June 2009 - 02:28 PM

Wow... Just 3 weeks eh? I may have to look back into Hydro...:bow::bow::bow:

#32 Dan Dare

Dan Dare

Pilot of the Future

• Free Member
  • 201 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 02:57 PM

As the thread update progresses, things could get a wee bit confused as to which grow is which, so from now on I'll refer to them by grow #, starting from the ground floor up ;)
These are the grows as they are now.

Grow 1
hydroscrog grow 1.jpg 1000 W. Day 44 flower

Grow 2
hydroscrog grow 2.jpg 800 W. Day 7 veg, tips folded over about an hour ago.

Grow 3
hydroscrog grow 3.jpg 1000 W. Day 24 flower

Grow 4
hydroscrog grow 4.jpg 1000 W. Day 7 flower, left it a bit late..lol

Grow 5
hydroscrog grow 5.jpg 400 W. Day 23 veg, day 1 flower.
  • prism likes this

#33 prism

prism

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 5,943 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 June 2009 - 03:02 PM

Beautiful results man... Simply inspiring!!

#34 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,904 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 June 2009 - 09:28 PM

Yeah... I really like that setup. Might have to convert the six plant unit i have to a SCROG myself :)

#35 procell

procell

OU812 ?

• OG VIP
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 11:38 PM

As the thread update progresses, things could get a wee bit confused

Wow, you can say that again. Great setup, all I need now is the screen frame to copy it. Thanks Bro.

The 2 beans of Feminized Durban Poison from Dutch Passion just sank in the glass of water . . .

Oh, 1 quick question, do you run the bubblers 24/7? I've had good luck running 15 min every 4 hours.

#36 Dan Dare

Dan Dare

Pilot of the Future

• Free Member
  • 201 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 12:41 PM

Oh, 1 quick question, do you run the bubblers 24/7? I've had good luck running 15 min every 4 hours.

Yep I run them constantly, the more oxygen to the roots the better they generally perform.

#37 procell

procell

OU812 ?

• OG VIP
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 03:28 PM

Yep I run them constantly, the more oxygen to the roots the better they generally perform.

Agreed, yes that is true. However that was thought to cause a problem with things growing too fast and getting airy buds, not nice hard nugs.

Too bad I went for a single tub for 2 plants or I could run (1) 24/7 and the one next to it 15min/4Hrs.

This little mother closet only runs 15min/6Hrs, trying to slow growth but it still grows fast.

The Aluminium foil was to make the walls light tight not so much for reflection but I'm sure it hleps.

Posted Image Posted Image

#38 seedlessstinky1

seedlessstinky1

Stinks

• Expired Member
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 03:36 PM

:rasta:Cheers mate! :weedpoke:

What an excellent crop of ladies. Superb. Fascinating. Most definately dank as all dank. Fucking righteous dude.:eusa_clap:bow::bow::bow:

Very Nice!:headbang:
  • TheObserver likes this

#39 Dan Dare

Dan Dare

Pilot of the Future

• Free Member
  • 201 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 10:41 AM

Thanks for the comments all, tbh considering this is an internet forum - I was expecting more than my fair shair of non-constructive criticisms when I decided to post this thread, but you folks have been very kind, again thankyou all. Constructive critique is always welcome as its a good thing.

Nice setup procell :)
Quite stealthy, easily manageable yet has the capacity to keep ya stoned year 'round - its clear you've put a lot of work into it, well done :eusa_clap

Agreed, yes that is true. However that was thought to cause a problem with things growing too fast and getting airy buds, not nice hard nugs.

Too bad I went for a single tub for 2 plants or I could run (1) 24/7 and the one next to it 15min/4Hrs.

This little mother closet only runs 15min/6Hrs, trying to slow growth but it still grows fast.

Interesting, now I see where you're going with this. Quite plainly, I've never heard of such a thing before. It may well be the case that limiting the oxygen supply can produce denser buds, but I'd certainly imagine the overall yield would be reduced. I suppose its up to individual tastes (and strains), I don't like the bud too densely packed whereas I know other peeps who prefer fossilised jurassic nugs :rasta:

To increase bud compactness, I use General Hydroponics Ripen during the last couple weeks of flowering, I find it helps somewhat to increase the bud density and the overall yield.

#40 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,904 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 June 2009 - 05:53 PM

DD, I would not change what you are doing!
I don't think that taking oxygen away from the roots is going to have any positive effect. It just doesn't make sense from a biological standpoint. The cannabis plant functions the same as any other angiosperm, it is going to try to reproduce harder (ie more flowers) in a better environment.
The bud cannot grow any faster than the oxygen supply that it has, just the same as it cant grow faster than its water, nutrients, ph or any of the other growth limiting factors.

You're obviously doing something right ;) Look at your returns!!

:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:
  • Twister likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!