Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

so, how do i make 170 proof 'shine taste like store-bought 80 proof whiskey ?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 lysergic

lysergic

Down on the Pharm

• Expired Member
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 08:46 PM

"Bourbon flavoring" makes me think of that abomination of abominations of whiskey pretenders, the ever-so-vile Beam's 8 Star. You want your bourbon-flavored grain-neutral spirits? There it is. I've made a coffee-flavoring syrup from Beam's 8 Star, but that's only because after you boil off the alcohol, "bourbon flavor" is all that's left. Drinking that shit is like masturbating to photos of transvestite serial killers in the weekly world news behind a used records store with a homeless guy who just bought *you* some Taco Hell and managed to talk you into a deranged proposition. Not that I would know. Or know anyone who did this.

:lol:

#22 bear

bear

Silly Animal

• Expired Member
  • 984 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:10 AM

hey hip, I got you.
instead of dicking around with finding a charred barrel and waiting ten years you can get toasted oak chips. Higher surface area makes the reactions happen faster. Forgive my fogginess but as i recall the oak catalyzes the formation of tasty vanillia/fruity esters from other non-tasty chemicals and this results from the slow diffusion of oxygen through the barrel and the wood-liquor interface.

So I'd say - dilute to 100 proof
charcoal filter if its really bad
sit in jar w/ toasted oak chips, shake and burp jar regularly

worked good!

#23 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:34 AM

:bow:

#24 Guest_jay pheno_*

Guest_jay pheno_*

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:17 AM

http://www.brewhaus....ences-C127.aspx

thats the simple way for you to make your shine taste like somthen else,,
buy the essences and add them makeing pseudo rum , whisky ,scotch ,etc,,,

the best way ive tried is to use activated charcoal to take out any flavors that might be in the shine then add in the essences ,, i havent tried the oak barrels even the small 1 gallons ones cost way to much for me , though i have tried burnt wood chips ,, that seems to work sorta takes longer then i wanna wait .

#25 bear

bear

Silly Animal

• Expired Member
  • 984 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:32 PM

hey hip!
apparently the best thing to do is find your own oak sticks and toast in the oven till it smells like vanilla and almonds

http://homedistiller....php?f=4&t=6597

#26 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:46 PM

:cool:
THAT i can do.

#27 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• OG VIP
  • 3,644 posts

Donator

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:50 PM

I am bumping this thread cause I enjoyed the hell out of reading it. Also you can now order new charred barrels starting at a 1 liter for 23.00 online now. And 5 gallon for 60 or 90.

#28 anticheffy

anticheffy

Nice to be back in the air !

• OG VIP
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:28 PM

I just paid 100 bucks plus 25.00 shipping for a new charred whit oak barrel, 5 liters. but well worth it, it puts that finish on my brandy that couldn't be had other ways. You're right, great thread.

#29 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• OG VIP
  • 3,644 posts

Donator

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:04 AM

A link for Barrels

http://www.barrelsonline.com

I think its really kewl that they engrave. Also will char the barrel according to what your looking to store.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!