• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 cheeseball

cheeseball

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 163 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 12:57 PM

Where can I purchase this? I want to use it as a second barrier for my popcorn jars, i'm already using polyfill in the hole for an innoculation point.

#2 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 31 May 2005 - 01:46 PM

http://www.intothewind.com/
When you get to the site, type in a search for 'tyvek' to go to the section.
RR

#3 paradox00

paradox00

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 01:53 PM

You should get a stunt kite while your at it, that shit is fuuuun.

#4 cheeseball

cheeseball

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 163 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 02:46 PM

Thank rr and i'll think about it paradox

#5 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 06:26 AM

that's a nice avatar

;)

#6 shroomster747

shroomster747

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 06:40 AM

I have been using popcorn in quart jars and have used tyvek or just turned the lid upside down and left the band loose . Both have worked very well except if i leave them too long eventually i get green mold. does anyone know what i could use that doesnt leak or let bacteria in eventually.

#7 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 11:37 AM

either one of those methods have worked well for me for normal colo times of 10-25 days ...the tyvec should work well if it doesn't get damp and start growing it's own fungus...maybe your contam is introduced durin innoculation....how long does eventually mean...?

#8 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 08 January 2006 - 12:15 PM

if i leave them too long eventually i get green mold.

So, don't leave them too long. When a jar is fully colonized, it should be spawned to bulk. Snooze, you lose.
RR

#9 Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Posted 08 January 2006 - 02:03 PM

i've had a jar of rye with my typical tyvek lid sterilized and sitting around for over a month with no growth of anything as far as i can tell.. kinda looks like there might be a little bacteria finaly setting in.. but it has been sitting for over a month.. and even now it could just be the grains on the bottom are not drying out as much as the rest of the jar
sounds to me like you need to re-check your method, b/c i know i got them nasty green spores floating around here.. but i have yet to see them in any of my grain jars
LOST

#10 morthos

morthos

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 582 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 08:59 PM

I could see you having problems if the tyvek was UNDER the lid & band.

If the tyvek is on top of the lid (with a few holes), then the band over that, nothing should be getting in.

Don't leave the bands loose;why did you? Are there holes in the lid?

#11 Omega 11

Omega 11

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 81 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 10:57 PM

my foaf is planning on doing his first quart grain jars this week. At fist he was going to only use popcorn, which he's had soaking in coffee for 24 hours. He also wants to try rye or wheat berries, depending upon what's available at the health food store. He has a stack of those tyvek envelopes that he grabbed from the post office. he was wondering, how does one prepare the filters? He's heard of placing them on both the top and bottom of the lid, is this correct? can the myc still breath through the tyvek? Any info is greatly appreciated.

#12 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 09 January 2006 - 09:56 AM

I place tyvek under the lids with two holes a little smaller than a pencil eraser in the lids. I also like to have a third hole that is covered with silicone for my injection site.

#13 Omega 11

Omega 11

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 81 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 12:01 PM

Thanks Dial8! Since he has no more LC or spore solution, my foaf is planning on doing a grain transfer from a pf cake. Would this require him to have a glove box?

#14 Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Posted 09 January 2006 - 02:26 PM

if he is gonna open a grain jar then
yes
i would say a glovebox is a must
don't take the cake out until you are ready to transfer
or he could break it in half and take a sample from the inside part
if he is gonna break the cake and take a sample that way
he might wanna go ahead and prep up a jar of LC so he doesn't have to resort to crumbled brf cake next time
as far as my tyvek lid set up i put 2 layers ontop of the lid under the band
and since i use wide mouth qt jars i just use the same lids as my pf jars
good luck
LOST

#15 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 January 2006 - 03:16 PM

If you don't want to try a grain transfer, you could wait for fruit and clone it (but you'll need a glovebox for that, too).

You could also try squirting some water in your cake, shaking, and sucking the water back out. If it's cloudy with mycelium, you can use it to innoculate another material.

I use two tyvek layers (top and bottom) seperated by washers. This gives a little dead air space between the filters in case one gets wet and contaminates. Not really a problem with cakes, but something to watch out for with liquid cultures.

Here is a tyvek vented lid with washers and silicone injection ports (they ROCK).

IMG_0001.JPG

Here is the underside of that vent.

IMG_0007.JPG

Your jar will breathe quite nicely and contaminants will be nipped in the bud. I've used four layers of tyvek (split up with washers) and still gotten great results, but I think two is enough.

Be sure to glue all this together with a silicone based adhesive that will survive the temps inside your PC (GE Silicone II works like a champ).

Grain 2 grain without a glove box is risky. Is there no chance your friend could aquire a new spore syringe? 1mL in an LC can spawn literally millions of babies...

#16 Omega 11

Omega 11

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 81 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 04:54 PM

My foaf just realized that he still has some liquid culture in his refridgerator, which he's going to use for his grain jars. He also has a spore print tucked away in a baggie that he needs to make syringes or more LC with. He's just not very experienced in using spore prints. In fact, the one print that he has is the only print he's ever made, so hopefully he accomplished making a sterile print. I'll keep you all posted on his progress. thanks a lot for the help!

#17 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:27 AM

:cool:

#18 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 08:42 PM

Here is a tyvek vented lid with washers and silicone injection ports (they ROCK).

IMG_0001.JPG

Here is the underside of that vent.

IMG_0007.JPG

Your jar will breathe quite nicely and contaminants will be nipped in the bud. I've used four layers of tyvek (split up with washers) and still gotten great results, but I think two is enough.

Be sure to glue all this together with a silicone based adhesive that will survive the temps inside your PC (GE Silicone II works like a champ)....

that's how i should have made my CCA jars.
ah well, next time.
:bow:

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!