• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 spaceape

spaceape

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 03:16 AM

i just joined the topia. so first off hello!
when doing all grain brewing there is a ton of spent grain left over. especially when doing 10 gallon batches of big beers. has anyone tried growing mushrooms in spent grain? if so did you mix the spent grain with anything else or give it any additives? the grain is pretty much pasteurized during the mash / sparge and im pretty sure mushrooms would love the grain husks. it would be great to be able to brew 10 gallons of beer and inoculate 10lbs of spent grain all in one run. let me know what your guys experience is with this. i definitely want to try it out after my first attempts with the PF tek.

#2 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• VIP
  • 10,036 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 08:04 AM

Welcome to Mycotopia!

Spent grain from brewing has high levels of protein and fats compared to the grain by itself, and those must be balanced with enough carbs/carbon or you risk creating anaerobic conditions. So, it's a fantastic supplement for growing in various conditions, but I've never seen anyone report good results from growing off 100% spent grain (it comes up every once in a while). It'd boost yields if growing on straw for instance, and you'd just need to mess with various ratios until you get the best results.

A friend of mine gets all the grain from a microbrewery and uses it as feed for his worm castings farm, and for simplicity I just go get a wheelbarrow full of castings whenever I need a bulk substrate and let the worms deal with the grain. You might want to consider that option since castings store indefinitely (if done right) unlike spent grain, and also can be used on your yard/garden.

Good luck!

#3 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• VIP
  • 10,036 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 08:08 AM

Oh, and here's the formal welcome and a bunch of useful links...

http://mycotopia.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=111869&stc=1&d=1229928874
to
Posted Image

plz visit our
> Mission Statement <
> Basic Board Rules <
> how to upload pix <
> user control panel <
> donate $$ to fund 'Topia <
> upgrade your account to vip <
> archives <
> vaults <
> StrainBase <
> chatroom <
> sponsors <
> affiliates <
> search engine <
> topia's glossary <
> image browser <
> marketplace <
> market rules >
> contest forum <
> fungi forum <
> botanicals forum <
> grassroots <
> Forum International <

and our bnl
http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1229910413

Also see > PFTEK <
enjoy your stay.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: grain, growing, mushrooms, spent

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!