Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Do you Yawn on Cubensis?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you yawn on Psilocybin?

Do you yawn on Psilocybin?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 moldylogic

moldylogic

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 520 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:44 PM

I've experienced, and noticed in both myself and many others an effect of increased yawning. This effect is apparently common; from not just Cubensis mushrooms but Psilocybes in general.

I wanted to know who else here has experienced this, and if so, what do you attribute it to.

#2 shroom57

shroom57

Papa Smurf

• Expired Member
  • 798 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:28 PM

Last time I did PE's I yawned till it hurt!

One of those yawns where you dislodge your lower jaw and could swallow a large animal...lol

#3 moldylogic

moldylogic

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 520 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:30 PM

It’s widely assumed that yawning occurs because we are tired or bored or because we see someone else doing it, but there isn’t any hard evidence to support these beliefs. ( I dont tend to get bored while tripping )

Scientists do not purport to know all of the biological mechanisms of the yawn, but tend to agree that a yawn is an involuntary respiratory reflex, which regulates the carbon dioxide and oxygen levels in the blood.

Technically, a yawn is the reflex opening of the mouth followed by the deep inhalation and slow exhalation of oxygen.
The very act of yawning is but one of a number of involuntary reflexes controlled by the spinal and nerve centers.

Scientists speculate that the onset of a yawn is triggered either by fatigue, or by sheer boredom as, at those times, breathing is shallow, and little oxygen is carried to the lungs by the oxygen-toting cardiovascular system.
When one yawns, his or her alertness is heightened, as the sudden intake of oxygen increases the heart rate, rids the lungs and the bloodstream of the carbon dioxide buildup, and forces oxygen through blood vessels in the brain, while restoring normal breathing and ventilating the lungs.

.......... What do you think?

#4 moldylogic

moldylogic

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 520 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:35 PM

One of those yawns where you dislodge your lower jaw and could swallow a large animal...lol

Been there done that, and have seen it happen to other people.

I voted frequently, I frequently notice average yawns while coming up. Every now and again I experience abnormal yawns during, or after my trip.

I normally don't yawn while sober. (or on any other psychedelics)

#5 shroom31

shroom31

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 313 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 12:16 AM

new research is saying that people yawn because ur brain is getting towarm. i read that a yawn is like a car fan when the engine gets to hot the fans turns on to cool the car and in a sense thats what the yawn is doing. cooling ur brain. i dont know if that true or not. when i study though i always seem to get warm so maybe my brain is getting to warm and i yawn. i dont know

#6 designlogic

designlogic

Researcher

• Expired Member
  • 297 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 12:30 AM

new research is saying that people yawn because ur brain is getting towarm. i read that a yawn is like a car fan when the engine gets to hot the fans turns on to cool the car and in a sense thats what the yawn is doing. cooling ur brain. i dont know if that true or not. when i study though i always seem to get warm so maybe my brain is getting to warm and i yawn. i dont know

Yeah I remeber hearing something along these lines as well...hmmm

#7 meku

meku

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 346 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 02:40 AM

i yawn when i am nervous... in the begining of the trip ...i yawn a bit but it passes...after the initial lift up after i just forget it lol

#8 ethnobotanica

ethnobotanica

Botanical-manical

• Expired Member
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 04:39 AM

I thought that it was a sensitivity response like when you just wanna stretch loads because your bodily awareness has shifted and the yawning was basically like stretchin' your face and neck.
Bit like the feeling you get from tai chi when loads of chi is released, makes you wanna bust into all sorts of spontaneous movements including mad facial contortions.
Probably not scientifically related but that's my take on it.

#9 francisco

francisco

Aztec Priest

• Expired Member
  • 104 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 08:59 AM

Many years ago when I first starting eating cubes I would yawn thru-out the whole experience, now when I am on them I dont yawn at all. Now that I've stated this I will probably start yawning again.

#10 plantman21

plantman21

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 881 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 09:00 AM

When I start yawning I get cramps under my tongue, no matter how many raisins I have eaten. (Raisins contain more potassium than bananas)
Plantman

#11 PsychoDrogue

PsychoDrogue

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 09:09 AM

i have yawned probably 9 times reading this thread so far. lol. they spread like wildfire. lol.

I had been under the impression that yawning was your body's reaction to needing more o2, as was said by moldy. I yawn the least of my tripping buds, but i am very unaffected by it. many of my friends will yawn themselves to sleep even though they are on an very speedy drug. Never seems to last long though.

#12 CRAMKO

CRAMKO

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 155 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 09:24 AM

The medicine does seem unpredictable to me. Sometimes i yawn alot, mostly on the come up. Usually i know i'm getting there when i start yawning, and i also notice my nose gets cold to the touch, and sometimes i need to get a sweatshirt. And sometimes I get more hot and sweaty. Voted frequently.

#13 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,385 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2009 - 07:08 PM

I always get the yaaaaawwwwwnnnns.

We used to call it "basketball swallowing"

#14 dice

dice

Jack of all trades.

• Expired Member
  • 2,477 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2009 - 07:27 PM

Every once in a while on the way up
I get to yawnin but def not every time.
/me yawns

#15 curenado

curenado

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 949 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 07:31 PM

You know it might be always - but I'm tripping...not sure

#16 obtuse

obtuse

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 08:00 PM

yeah, i get the yawns.

on the way up, and then on the way down.

i wonder if its a combination of nervousness/anxiety and body posture and subsequently not getting enough o2.

something to watch in future travels.

cheers, Obtuse.

#17 Guest_TaterBoard_*

Guest_TaterBoard_*

Posted 01 January 2010 - 12:33 AM

i have yawned probably 9 times reading this thread so far. lol. they spread like wildfire. lol.

agreed lol happy *yawn* new years :)

#18 deucedbi9

deucedbi9

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 07:46 AM

... not just Cubensis mushrooms but Psilocybes in general.

I wanted to know who else here has experienced this, and if so, what do you attribute it to.

yes,happens to me with liberty caps as well.

oddly enough. i had the same effect,yawning and the need to stretch extravagantly, within half an hour of taking the anti-depressant seroxat (Paroxetine)an SSRI.

what wonderful synchronicity that nature produces just at the time of year when many of us, in these northern climes, start to suffer from seasonal affective disorder ,a remedy, in the form of a fruit straight from the earth, that contains psilocybin!

not that i'm suggesting that tripping is a remedy for depression, but taken in moderation,say, upto 15 (libs) can lift the spirits, just as well as prescription drugs, without all the undesirable side effects.

#19 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,294 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 January 2010 - 12:33 PM

On cubes yes all the time.
SOme other species dont do it to me so bad.

#20 Shadowlord

Shadowlord

Shadowmancer.

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,877 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 January 2010 - 12:43 PM

I agree w/ Dial8.
Doesn't happen all the time but it's always cubes that do it to me. Other types don't. But not every cube. Some give me the worst yawns some make my nose and eyes run. Some just make me feel cold, sick and depressed.

Not to knock Mushrooms at a mushroom cultivation site, but Mushrooms are the squirreliest thing for me to trip with. Which is unfortunate as they are also the easiest to be self-sufficient with. Oh well, I haven't given up on them yet. I was just blessed/cursed to always have gotten LSD in his younger years. Since it rarely has negative side effects, I am not used to having to fight through minor discomforts while tripping.
  • Battlr likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!