• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 blackout

blackout

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 302 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 09:59 AM

I used disposable petris with no glove box to fill. I microwaved the agar in a filtered jar, then sucked up the hot agar in a 60ml syringe and injected into the plates. It was a thin layer so cooled quickly with no condensation

#22 vrooota

vrooota

Onamonapia

• Free Member
  • 677 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 11:29 AM

injecting your agar into the plates is actually a really good idea for getting clean plates for us poor boys lacking flowhoods. I found doing transfers in the GB is not a big deal but trying to pour clean, uniform plates in the GB w/o spilling shit and knowcking plates all over is pretty frustrating.

#23 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 12:33 PM

Hmmmm. That is a good idea Blackout....

#24 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 01:15 PM

I agree ...wonder how many plates u could make with one 60cc syringe..?

#25 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 10:48 PM

9 or 10....

#26 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 22 January 2006 - 01:46 AM

You can use a clear plastic garden leaf bag or clear trash bag as an awesome glovebox. Better than the rubbermaid gloveboxes imo. Just put your work in the bag, put on some latex gloves and go to work. Tuck the edges of the bag around your arms after you stick them in.
RR

#27 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 02:57 AM

Now why would I use that when i have a fantastic gloove box you so heavily endorse? lol!:lol: Just kidden man....

#28 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 22 January 2006 - 04:21 PM

I like to use the plastic bags when cleaning up outdoor cultures from contaminants. Use it and toss it.

Hey, kickoff in two hours.....gotta get to the game.
RR

#29 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 02:10 AM

Well, pointless. The soap wears down in 5 or 6 days and condensation sets in. Well, maybe not pointless as the hot pour works great in the open air. But, as Roger suggested; you'll still need to store the dishes vertical to prevent it long term...

#30 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 12,240 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 February 2006 - 05:59 PM

Condensation set in 5-6 days later? That sounds like the room temp is fluctuating a bit too much. Turning up the heat will evap off the condensation (and turning it down will bring it back). Also I've noticed excess condensation when I put a bit too much water in the mix.

I liked the report of using plastic petris over 50 times just by cleaning then and pouring while the agar's hot. I was going to try to reuse some after cleaning followed by setting in a lightproof box with a germicidal UV light on 'em for an hour or two or overnight...nothing survives that radiation as long as the large particles are washed away (contams can hide in 'shadows' cast by dust or whatever).

#31 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 11:52 AM

Don't try the technique above. It's worthless with a low success rate. Just clean out your dishes with alcohol well and pour in a gloove box exc...

#32 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 02:03 PM

so in the end
the soap was a bust ?
bummer.
:(

#33 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 12:39 AM

Actually, alcohol is a lame way to sterilize used dishes. 3% H202 gets her done perfectly every time.

I wonder if that was my problem here.

#34 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 07:07 AM

peroxide , nice tip
:bow:

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!