108 replies to this topic

#41 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 July 2009 - 02:02 PM

I've been thinking if slurrified grain spawn would work :eusa_thin?
In my case it's rye.

When it comes to BRF cakes all the nutes seem to be absorbed and therefore shredding such a cake wouldn't expose extra amount of nutes that are easy to contaminate. But I'm a little worried of grain as the mycelium does not penetrate the kernels inside... Therefore shredding the grains might expose extra nutritious matter that might easily contaminate after spawning.

I hope I'm wrong about that, eatyu. Now what do you think?

i agree that it wouldn't be good to use grain spawn unless maybe millet gets completely colonized. or maybe amaranth. just smaller type grains like this. im sure there are grains that colonize throughout. just make sure your using one. i remember seeing myc post a pic of a disected sunflower seed shell. the inside did not colonize. but you might have to test your rye. next spawn you do, leave one kernal out and cut it down the middle to see if it is colonized throughout. i might think it isn't. anyway here is what he did in this badass thread right here. if it is, then slurry away i say. i mean what harm can it do if you test one bin. even if it contams. that s ok your not wasting much. or do it in a smaller tub.

http://mycotopia.net...094-post22.html

its possible that the insides of some of the grain are not colonized. that might be more prone to contam. the brf tends to get into small enough groupings that it breaks apart easily. and the brf gets completely colonized. didn't contam after 7 days. liquid. worked out better than i could imagine at this point. gonna mess with this idea alot now.

#42 koldj

koldj

Wounded Healer

• Expired Member
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 04:22 PM

i agree that it wouldn't be good to use grain spawn unless maybe millet gets completely colonized. or maybe amaranth. just smaller type grains like this. im sure there are grains that colonize throughout. just make sure your using one. i remember seeing myc post a pic of a disected sunflower seed shell. the inside did not colonize. but you might have to test your rye. next spawn you do, leave one kernal out and cut it down the middle to see if it is colonized throughout. i might think it isn't. anyway here is what he did in this badass thread right here. if it is, then slurry away i say. i mean what harm can it do if you test one bin. even if it contams. that s ok your not wasting much. or do it in a smaller tub.

http://mycotopia.net...094-post22.html

its possible that the insides of some of the grain are not colonized. that might be more prone to contam. the brf tends to get into small enough groupings that it breaks apart easily. and the brf gets completely colonized. didn't contam after 7 days. liquid. worked out better than i could imagine at this point. gonna mess with this idea alot now.

I'll do something for sure in a couple of days. I have some whole brown rice going on as well. I may use that instead cause the myc in these jars looks extra thick and rice doesn't have a thick shell like other seeds so it may be fully penetrated...

Or another idea would be making a grain spawn slurry and letting it recover for some time but I don't have a flowhood to do all that... :/

Otherwise I gotta buy a lotta verm and brf:rasta:

The tub looks quite amazing man ;].

#43 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:11 PM

just tested out two more slurry tubs. one being ape clone and the other being amazon.

both were used with a slightly muddier or less water slurry. it looked to workout perfectly. also the subs were a bit dry too. and the moisture added worked out perfectly.

and you do have to setup a bag to do your clean work in. it takes about 5 mins. then i find clean up to be much easier than using spawn. and it seems to be faster in the overall timing of the spawn session.

#44 Brakiska

Brakiska

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 238 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 01:44 AM

Well, its working wonders for me

It was much simplier than presumed

I removed the blade at it is supposed to

It fits perfectly on a small mouth of the jar

Lid is put back on

then blend

no holes no nothing, just need to be well sterelized

thanks for sharing this wonderful simple method, my lonely PE cake will be happy

#45 stimpy

stimpy

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 414 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 02:02 AM

thats geniousness

#46 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 July 2009 - 12:57 AM

the only main issue i have is that lower spawn causing lower yield. if its detrimental to your yield. then it may be better to use grain. however. if all you got is one pf cake. haha, definitely something to think about. you know how many times i find myself stuck with one pf cake and im like.....hm.....should i birth it as a cake. fuggit. ive even tossed em out before.

here is another thing. lets say this does workout. and the tub produces similar yield to what i normally get in one tub. if thats so. then that would make the more spawn equals better yield argument kinda fall apart. although i feel more spawn equals more yield anyhow lol...

now you can at the least. get a tub growing. and the yield off this tub im assuming will be greater than 1 pf cake yield. or at least hopefully lol...

its looking very aggressive and rhizo. from the last few experiments ive done. this tub seems to be doing much better than others. i think the moisture content is just right!

and even at the first spawning. i thought i added too little spawn. even when i mixed it. it seemed weird to me. like it wouldn't grow. just mix it up real good!

think about this. i can take a clone via 9er tek and inject it into 1 pf jar. then have a clone that i can slurry into quarts in around 4 days. then i get 10 quarts grown in 3 more days. so in 7 days from clone to spawning. maybe 8 at most. thats hell of a turnover. ive been doing that since tv wrote up that tek and i tried it. the speed is unbeatable. but you have many of those guys out there who will say hey its not possible to do anything without a flowhood like that. in fact, id bet if you toss this idea around you would have some really funny responses. i was tempted to post the tek. without the results first. to see what the general arguments would be from the boards. those in denial would always be in denial wether you show them all the proof or not. but it would still be funny. i do shit so ghetto and some of these guys do some real hard work here. they make hundreds of jars, hundreds of cakes. when simply put, you can get away with huge yield off 10 quarts a week spawn. if i had 10 jars of pf that can potentially do 10 tubs. as long as you rotate your pf jars. you have some awesome speed.

and when i take clones via 9er tek i generally make about 10 syringes per clone. that can last 2 years if you play it right. you can take one of those 10 colonized pf jar clones and just slurry it into 30 quarts. then boom. you just have no limit here really. depending on timing, ill generally only slurry when im desperate and my spawn is taking too long. well the only problem i have ever had with tv's tek is that everytime i do the tek. i have way too much spawn. when i don't do the tek, im usually waiting on spawn. so slurrying directly to tubs is really cool. at least its fun for me to toy with. not anymore difficult than spawning. you might have to prep some jars but its really not that bad. and this last batch i did, i used 2 pint jars. cut a pf cake in half. then plopped half in each jar. i had one blade assembly. so i blended one. placed the pint jar lid on the one i just blended. then moved the blade assembly to the other jar and basically switched lids on both. so as long as you don't touch the blade on anything you should be fine. just use quick movements when your moving the blade assembly. just doing tv's slurry tek a few times ive got this tek down to a t already. its really easier for me now than even doing g2g bc i don't have to prep all the grain jars. and i can simply use a trash bag to do my semi clean work in.

that one clone syringe i inject into 1 pf jar usually. i could just as easily inject 10 pf jars. then thats 10 tubs. and the pf jars store much easier than the quart jars. however, i like quart jars. jars run my life. but, if this eliminates prepping grain in a reasonable fashion. its way less work. imagine all the newbs that can't do grain. they could do this and have decent yield without so much work....

#47 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 12,242 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 July 2009 - 07:47 AM

:headbang:

Awesome. This is great stuff, and the other day I was very entertained by flipping back through that old Oss and Oeric guide to growing using agar wedge transfers to rye jars that were cased directly and fruited from the jars. I did that technique, and it was enough work to make a person decide to just grow pot instead for a few years.

A really interesting thing (to me anyway) about this and other new, fast, and high-yielding methods is that all the elements of these new teks were available back in the agar wedge transfer days...

#48 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 July 2009 - 01:02 PM

:headbang:

Awesome. This is great stuff, and the other day I was very entertained by flipping back through that old Oss and Oeric guide to growing using agar wedge transfers to rye jars that were cased directly and fruited from the jars. I did that technique, and it was enough work to make a person decide to just grow pot instead for a few years.

A really interesting thing (to me anyway) about this and other new, fast, and high-yielding methods is that all the elements of these new teks were available back in the agar wedge transfer days...

yes the internet definitely speeds up knowledge. seeing new ideas gets you thinking. then you figure out cool new things from what you learned about that. ive got my links below that i kind of collect all the really cool methods i like. so its easier for me to look at it when need be. makes quick reference really fast. and i put it in the user notes area. so its like my personal archives!

#49 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 July 2009 - 06:31 PM

both tubs ape and amazon. look very similar to the 2 days growth pics above. coming along nicely so far.

amazon is the more colonized one after 2 days. ape is a very old clone sitting in the fridge for a long time.

Attached Thumbnails

• ape.jpg
  • amazon.jpg

#50 pvacant

pvacant

a DeAd BoY

• Expired Member
  • 192 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:21 AM

Eats.....i have a half pint of pan mycelium that i'm gonna do this "slurry in a hurry" with (it is BRF verm and Poo, kind of a waylitjim type jar) and i FINALLY found my blender blade, so i'm ready to go. How much, or what ratio would i use for 1 pf style jar. i don't wanna make the bulk sub too thick for pans.
i guess what i'm asking is... how should i proceed, in your opinion, to optimise the amount of myc i have to use, and create the most...... umm...... amount of yield (if it works).
oh and the bulk sub is aged hpoo and med-course verm, and pasteurized in the oven like you do. i also have sterile H2O2, and dry sterile verm, in case i don't get the moister right.

#51 pvacant

pvacant

a DeAd BoY

• Expired Member
  • 192 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:28 AM

i guess after reading my post what i meant to say is, how much H2O2 to 1/2 pint cake, should i use per amount of bulk sub. i'm kinda unclear about this from the posts above, plus it's pans not cubies, but fully colonized.

#52 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:24 AM

what volume of substrate are you thinking about using. the above volume? for pans id say slurry about one turkey tin volume substrate per 1 pf cake. this in a large tub may not completely fill the bottom. if your intentions are to have a tub to do so. then you may want to get a smaller tub. or you can use a tray. for pans ive always used thoses 4" deep cat litter trays. and i only usually make the pan subs 2" deep maybe with a small 1/4" casing layer on it. i think a turkey tin would fill one of those cat litter trays a few inches for the volume of substrate.

maybe just follow the 1 pint liquid to 1/2 pint mycelia for the slurry. you probably want a smaller volume of substrate with pans as the mycelia is brittle.

and the slurry itself may not even be as muddy at the cube mycelia. only know when you try this.

but if your balsy. try 2 turkey tins volume like the above ratio. although for first trial. id probably start off with a lower volume so you don't waste if it contams. then work your way up volumes to find out where that balance is with the one pf cake volume of mycelia. there has to be some kind of volume limit for the amount of water. we just have to figure it out.

#53 stimpy

stimpy

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 414 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:25 AM

The cubes will still get nutrition from the substrate and grain is very very nutritious to cube, so maybe if you slurry it like that it will give all the necessary concentrated nutrition, and also make the inoculation points more similar to a high grainspawn ratio. I dont know lewlz

Maybe supercake can offset some of the loss of concentrated grain nutrients

#54 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:37 AM

The cubes will still get nutrition from the substrate and grain is very very nutritious to cube, so maybe if you slurry it like that it will give all the necessary concentrated nutrition, and also make the inoculation points more similar to a high grainspawn ratio. I dont know lewlz

Maybe supercake can offset some of the loss of concentrated grain nutrients

yeah good idea. thats why i tossed the supercake in there.

#55 Guest_milkman59_*

Guest_milkman59_*

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:48 PM

cant wait to see the ending result in this.

#56 koldj

koldj

Wounded Healer

• Expired Member
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:23 AM

Yesterday I slurried 2 x 0,35 l brown rice cakes into around 10-12 l of straw in a tray. Some growth is visible already.

I'll post the pics when I succeed :rasta:.

I couldn't fit the blender and a jar into my glovebox so I just did it in open air, just clean. I mean - what's the difference whether you make a slurry or just spawn it if you're doing it in open air anyway?

#57 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:27 PM

finally got pins today.
7-21 posted in 1st post.

below is amazon and ape. a few days in.

Attached Thumbnails

• ape2.jpg
  • amslurry.jpg

#58 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:27 PM

Yesterday I slurried 2 x 0,35 l brown rice cakes into around 10-12 l of straw in a tray. Some growth is visible already.

I'll post the pics when I succeed :rasta:.

I couldn't fit the blender and a jar into my glovebox so I just did it in open air, just clean. I mean - what's the difference whether you make a slurry or just spawn it if you're doing it in open air anyway?

i think it should be fine as long as your clean about it. next time, you can use clear 50 gallon or larger lawn bags. should give you plenty of work area.

i guess after reading my post what i meant to say is, how much H2O2 to 1/2 pint cake, should i use per amount of bulk sub. i'm kinda unclear about this from the posts above, plus it's pans not cubies, but fully colonized.

no h202. distilled water only. h202 isn't necessary.

#59 stimpy

stimpy

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 414 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:57 PM

that was fast lol i still see a bunch of strawnet

#60 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 July 2009 - 01:16 PM

that was fast lol i still see a bunch of strawnet

pic was uploaded to the first post. sorry.tex strain pins faster than most strains when it has the right conditions. usually if the tex strain isn't pinning very fast its most likely your moisture content is far too dry.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!