• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 stimpy

stimpy

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 414 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 04:41 AM

What kind of game do you like? Fried squirrel is damn good, easy and practicly free to hunt. I've used pellet guns on them, and it works great. Destroys less meat than a shotgun. The legs are the meatiest parts you dont want to hit them in the leg, thats why i dont like shotgun so much for squirrel. with a pellet gun you gotta hit them from 30 or less yards to get a good shot on his head, or between the shoulders if he's facing his back to you. 22s enable you to shoot em way way farther ill take them from 80 yards with those.

Rabbits i always use a shotgun, unless im squirrel hunting and see one ill pop him with the rifle. They actually have thinner skin than fox squirrels even the pellet rifle will plug straight through them on some shots. Rabbits taste great and are real easy to skin compared to squirrels. Harder to hunt though they will just sit there motionless till you practicly step on them, and bolt. Hence the shotgun.

Feral pigs are good eating, and generaly people are encouraged to kill them on sight because they quickly fubar the habitat for native animals, and are very destructive to farmland. You can kill em with 22's but its better to have a heavier round or buckshot load. They can be mean. My friend uses 12 guage buckshot and i like 7.62x39 for the hogs. 30/30, .243, a good deer rifle will work.

Share hunting stories and such talk about it

#2 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 06:59 AM

next season here, i believe, is doves -
never saw much point.
i see game almost every day,
just recently saw 3 deer
on my way to the Grab 'n Run
a couple miles away.
then a couple days later
i had to stop and wait on
2 young toms [turkey]
playing in the road 1/2 mile from my driveway.
last time i went down to our creek
i saw an adult river otter,
gorgeous animal-
hope no one gets him.
muskrats on one of my ponds,
ducks on the other two ponds.
i imagine that,
given the abundance of meat on my farm,
i'll content myself this fall
with 1 turkey and 1 deer.
no sense in being greedy eh.

#3 growurown

growurown

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 209 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 09:22 PM

im waiting on early muzzleloader for deer. .50 inline with polytipped sabots and pryodex pellets.

#4 Dr.Hallucination

Dr.Hallucination

Chasing the Rabbit.

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,480 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 October 2009 - 11:04 PM

There isn't too much wild game I do not like,Deer Moose Rabbits Duck Goose Partridge/Pheasants just to name a few of my favorites.I still have a bit of Moose and Deer meat in the deep freeze from last year,Not enough to last this winter though so I will be deer hunting this year.There are 2 big Salmon in there,some rainbow and some speckled trout,a few dozen mackerel and a couple dozen smelts,so I have lots of fish for the winter too.

I enjoy hunting and just being outdoors in general.Deer hunting is ok but it can get too boring for my liking,too much sitting and waiting,you have to be so quiet all the time,plus that thing weighs a tonne,carrying it out of the woods is not that fun,and moose are even worse...But when you see that big buck off in the distance,with that massive rack,and you can see its breath coming out its huge black nostrils,your heart is racing like the engine in a Ferrari,it is an adrenalin rush that's for sure...

I much rather walking through the woods,12 gauge in hand and chance upon something like a pheasant or scare up a rabbit.That sudden ...shit there it is,,,there it goes,,,,get it....I like that lol.
I enjoy rabbit hunting in the winters with rabbit hounds.When I was younger my father used to breed and train them to chase.There amazing little dogs,love to chase rabbits but will chase anything,even deer,which is not a good thing,they will chase the deer until it is exhausted to death,so no dogs out during deer season,hunters kill dogs that chase deer,and rightfully so I say...

They will also chase a rabbit or just its scent all night for miles and miles without stopping.I have had to leave many dogs in the woods over night in some pretty shitty weather and had to come back the next day for them,because they will NOT stop chasing that rabbit once there on it.I always hated that part,but there usually ok,Usually.I have lost a few to the elements and one to coyotes,Always sad.

#5 Burger

Burger

Old Hand.

• Validating
  • 596 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:18 AM

Feral pigs are good eating, and generaly people are encouraged to kill them on sight because they quickly fubar the habitat for native animals, and are very destructive to farmland. You can kill em with 22's but its better to have a heavier round or buckshot load. They can be mean.

Wild boar can indeed be mean, I have been on a few hunts with nothing but dogs and a knife.

Scary stuff at times.

They taste a bit 'gamey' but blend well in sausages.

Duck is another one of my favourites, and rabbits can be very nice when cooked right.

#6 growurown

growurown

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 209 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 11:59 PM

Pheasent season is just days away were i live. Cant wait

i shot three rabbits today with the pellet gun. There in the crock pot right now.

Edited by Beast, 25 October 2009 - 10:34 PM.

#7 Beast

Beast

That's Mr. Beast to you..

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:36 PM

Yeah I hear ya on the doves, Hip. I nabbed a couple with a pellet gun a few years ago and really the only sizeable portion of meat on them was the breasts, which equated to about half a plum sized piece of meat each. I guess the idea is to shoot a couple dozen of em...

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!