Homemade Grasshopper Bait Recipe*
20lb Wheat Bran
2 Gallons Water
1 Qt. Cottonseed or Other Vegetable Oil
1 Qt. Molasses
1 Qt. Flowable (Liquid) Sevin or Sevin XLR
Large Rubber or Metal Tub (For mixing)
- Mix Molasses, Water and Vegetable Oil together in a suitable container (bucket, etc).
- Add 1 tablespoon of liquid dish soap to emulsify the oil and water mixture together.
- Mix the liquid Sevin into the oil/water mixture, stirring well.
- Slowly add the water mixture to the wheat bran in a tub or other suitable container and mix together. Allow this mixture to sit for 24 hours to allow the wheat bran to absorb the liquids.
- Stir the bait after the soak period. Apply the bait in small piles around fruit trees, garden areas and other places where grasshoppers are causing problems.
- This bait works better on young grasshoppers, but works on large ones as well.
* Wear chemical-resistant gloves (available at nurseries and other retail garden outlets) while mixing these ingredients and applying the bait.