• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 abaca

abaca

jerk of all trades

• Expired Member
  • 439 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 09:32 PM

I can't find coir at the moment and am not in a situation to order it online. I have vermiculite, worm castings, potting soil, calcium carbonate, hydraited lime etc. I'm looking for opinions on a casing recipe.

#2 perrch01

perrch01

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 09:38 PM

Go to any pet store they should all have it in the reptile or hermit crab section, one of the name brands is bed-a-beast

#3 WiteSpy

WiteSpy

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 11:05 PM

hydo store?

#4 OZ

OZ

Mycotopiate

• Validating
  • 502 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 11:33 PM

forget coir man, straight verm makes for a good casing on its own..... otheres will recommend peat

#5 suckerfree

suckerfree

GATE KEEPER

• OG VIP
  • 3,032 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 January 2006 - 10:23 AM

Yeah I don't really care for coir either..... tends to overlay. I stick to straight verm.

#6 vitamin_d_added

vitamin_d_added

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 11:25 AM

IME The classic 50/50 peat and vermiculite is the biggest bang for you buck.
Far less problems with overlay than with a coir based casing. The mycelium just dosent seem to colonize the peat as readily. Just dont forget to raise the pH into the optimal range.

Also I have found the addition of some king of "aggragate" to help with mushroom formation. Most often I just use about .1 part (1/10) of perlite, but I have also used crushed oystershell, egg shells, and even little plastic beads. The perlite sems to work the best IMO.

#7 OZ

OZ

Mycotopiate

• Validating
  • 502 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 11:41 AM

desont perlite in the casing layer kinda defeat the purpose? the casing layer is supposed to hold moisture, and perlite gives moisture off dont it?

#8 InfectedMushroom420

InfectedMushroom420

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 180 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 09:14 AM

desont perlite in the casing layer kinda defeat the purpose? the casing layer is supposed to hold moisture, and perlite gives moisture off dont it?

Perlite give's moisture off as it holds it and retains it well thats why it's used in fruiting chambers to keep the humidity up :)

#9 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 09:16 AM

a mix of verm and soil would work,
keep it light in texture, mostly verm

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!