• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 ishkaboo

ishkaboo

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 867 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 09:15 PM

Wow! Those are some beautiful crystals! I've never seen them like that IME.

Congrats! :bow:
  • UnlearnEverything likes this

#42 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 21 August 2009 - 09:15 PM

A member asked me how my friend grew these. Here was his/her process. Mar's tek, with these changes...

-1 gallon/1 pint vinegar ratio x3
-Slow simmered 3 times @ 2 hours each
-Cold filtered twice to get all sludge.
-Reduced to 3/4 gallon.
-5 heaping tablespoons Lye added to one cup hot water, slowly, one tbs at a time and mixed well.
-Lye added slowly to 1 gallon HDPE container.
-Container kept in hot bath throughout the process.
-250ml hot (not boiling) naptha added in 4 pulls, 1000ml total. ( I know it's a lot of naptha!)
-All pulls collected in a pyrex casserole dish. This is where my friend believes it helps for forming crystal chunks. The volume/depth allows for tall clusters to gather.
-Slow cooled in a dark, garage with a gentle breeze barely skimming the surface so not to much disruption occurs, but enough to agitate the surface.

Hope this helps! Deep collection dish and slow cooling seem to be the trick!

archive material

:bow:

#43 opiatoker

opiatoker

gizmologist

• Expired Member
  • 523 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 01:25 PM

so, is it the depth or the large amt of dmt in the solvent that resulted in the large clusters? or a combo of both?

my dude has always thought it was amt of dmt that determines crystal size. 3+ g makes larger rocks and so on

given slow cooling...

ok, as we all know, i'm a complete noob to dmt. but have been experimenting with chemistry projects off and on for several years. ok thats not true, i did the experiments for a while back, like 8 years ago, and have had a couple short relapses since then. so although i am no chemist, i'm not an absolute noob to it. however this has nothing to do with my experience. I was reading on wikipedia about precipitation (chemistry) and as i typically do, when there is a word i dont know i look it up, so i know everything being explained.

anyway, from what i read, i have to say the reason for the huge crystals is because the way he did it. he planted seeds and the following pulls attached to them.

with crystals that are grown out of a liquid solution, when there is a larger crystal than all the particles, then the particles are attracted to the crystal. even if there are large crystals and small crystals, the smaller crystals will actually shrink as the molecules are moving over to the larger ones. its got to do with there being more of the specific molecule in its mass and a smaller surface area in comparison.

i don't remember exactly the type of precipitation it was i was reading about, but i'll look for the page and post the link here.

anyway, if the OP didn't know that bit of chemistry before starting his project, i've got to give kudos for good thinking!!

#44 opiatoker

opiatoker

gizmologist

• Expired Member
  • 523 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 02:12 PM

awesome pic ishkaboo.... reminded me of one i created a few yrs back

Attached Thumbnails

• eyedrip.jpg

#45 opiatoker

opiatoker

gizmologist

• Expired Member
  • 523 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 02:23 PM

ok, as we all know, i'm a complete noob to dmt. but have been experimenting with chemistry projects off and on for several years. ok thats not true, i did the experiments for a while back, like 8 years ago, and have had a couple short relapses since then. so although i am no chemist, i'm not an absolute noob to it. however this has nothing to do with my experience. I was reading on wikipedia about precipitation (chemistry) and as i typically do, when there is a word i dont know i look it up, so i know everything being explained.

anyway, from what i read, i have to say the reason for the huge crystals is because the way he did it. he planted seeds and the following pulls attached to them.

with crystals that are grown out of a liquid solution, when there is a larger crystal than all the particles, then the particles are attracted to the crystal. even if there are large crystals and small crystals, the smaller crystals will actually shrink as the molecules are moving over to the larger ones. its got to do with there being more of the specific molecule in its mass and a smaller surface area in comparison.

i don't remember exactly the type of precipitation it was i was reading about, but i'll look for the page and post the link here.

anyway, if the OP didn't know that bit of chemistry before starting his project, i've got to give kudos for good thinking!!

got it!! it is called, "Ostwald Ripening"
and the wikipedia address is... http://en.wikipedia...._ripening<br />

#46 UnlearnEverything

UnlearnEverything

I'd rather be dreaming!

• Expired Member
  • 245 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:14 PM

got it!! it is called, "Ostwald Ripening"
and the wikipedia address is... http://en.wikipedia...._ripening<br />

Very interesting toker. Nice find. I wonder if this type of growth takes place in DMT crystal formation. Hmmm.. It would interesting to setup some type of time-lapse photography next time.
  • the_chosen_one likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!