Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

pins came early? before 100% colonization ?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#21 the jesus

the jesus

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 04:53 PM

Right on hogwild, you are the speedy bearer of good news squared. (this and the outdoor thing) Thanks bro.

#22 perrch01

perrch01

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 05:59 PM

I see this a lot with PR ime, pretty cool

#23 the jesus

the jesus

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 07:46 PM

So the pins in these jars are getting big. About 2-3 inches long and 1/4 inch around and they are still not completely colonized. I dropped the temp down to 75 since they started pinning hoping they wouldn't abort and that seems to have stalled the myc. If I let them go invitro is it a big deal that I can't open them and get the verm layer off for room? Also could it be that the non-colonizing areas are contaminated? Any input of whether this is common or not would be greatly appreciated.

#24 perrch01

perrch01

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 08:30 PM

sometimes stalling can happen for a variety of reasons- some prefer to remove the uncolonized portion of the cake to prevent it growing contams since it obviously ain't growing mycelium...

The pins will make room for themselves if the verm layer is still there but it will be a mess when you harvest. Is it top or bottom that isn't colonized?

#25 the jesus

the jesus

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 08:39 PM

It is about 1/4 of the bottom that isn't colonized and a little of the side. The myc growing in that area is real ropey not fluffy and the area is pretty dark, but I figured that was was because the cake is pulling away from the sides of the jar. Thanks a bunch for your help!

#26 perrch01

perrch01

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 12:18 AM

Did you flip the jars when they were about 75% colonized? Is the tape removed from the holes?

I have cut off uncolonized portions covering the bottom and sides- didn't get great results but better than nothing...

is invitro your overall plan or did you want to do a fruiting chamber?

how are the rest of your jars doing?

#27 hogwild

hogwild

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 12:31 AM

i cut off uncolonized parts of cakes often. ive been working with different brf blends and my water content hasnt been perfect on some of them so they get too waterlogged and dont colonize all the way. Most of the time they come out fine, ive only had one contam and it went to the garden.... soon after it fruited.

#28 the jesus

the jesus

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 12:43 AM

I did flip them at 75% and then the pins came. Never had tape 'cause they are pre-sterilized from mycrotopia. I was gonna do chronic tek but I am afraid to "birth" them since they aren't 100% colonized. I am afraid of cutting off uncolonized parts because now the fruits are so big they are growing around the uncolonized area. My B+ jars are doing this and the others are Cambos and are way behind. I have had constant light on them and I was honestly so excited when I saw pins that I named them. Should I try to cut off the uncolonized area and put them in the quart jars? Thank you so much for this help perrch.

#29 the jesus

the jesus

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 12:49 AM

So Hog you don't get contams when you cut parts off the cake? Do you do it in a glovebox? I would love to get these in my Quarts so I would have a chance at some prints. You posted while I was 'cause I keep gettin' delayed watching the Def Lepard story on VH1.

#30 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 08:12 AM

best bet is just let them finish this flush invitro.
if you feel lucky
birth cakes into clean terrarium and watch,
often any bare spots will be quickly covered by mycellia
in a day.
if not covered by 2 days
then cut down to colonized tissue, removing any uncolonized portions.
but i'd just let it be, personally.

#31 the jesus

the jesus

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 05:06 PM

Well I birthed one just for the hell of it and there really wasn't much to cut off at all. Thank you Hippie your jars are as advertised, they are growing like gangbusters! Think I'll go with your 1/2 pint glass next time though. I'll be sure to post my yeilds as it looks to be pretty good for a first grow.

#32 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 05:13 PM

Thank you Hippie your jars are as advertised, they are growing like gangbusters!

:bow:
it's my pleasure to serve you.

#33 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 05:15 PM

Never had tape 'cause they are pre-sterilized from mycrotopia.

yeah, i never tape but i do use an extra thick verm. layer

#34 tbonus

tbonus

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 11:29 AM

I noticed today that 2 of my b+ jars are showing pins.I was going to do half INVITRO and the other half in the f.c. Should I dunk the jars that are pinning even though they arent fully coll?:cool: :eusa_droo

#35 Guest_DaGoon_*

Guest_DaGoon_*

Posted 01 August 2006 - 11:35 AM

I dont know about invitro
but my regular cakes pinned before they were colonized
i dunked them and fruited with 2 of them fine..

then i tried a dunk and roll (with casing around the cake)
with 2 and they contaminated..

Its never a safe bet to do anything unless the cake is all the way colonized, but im sure some one will come along and tell you the specifics for invitro

#36 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 11:40 AM

. Should I Dunk the jars that are Pinning even though they arent fully coll?

hell no.
leave jars sealed until full colonization

#37 the jesus

the jesus

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 11:43 AM

I had this exact thing happen to me, same strain and all. On one of them I just waited until it was fully colonized and then birthed it without a dunk. The pins were about an inch long by then so I didn't want to risk killing them. The other stalled so I just cut off the uncolonized part and birthed, again with no dunk. The first flushes are a bit weak, but it's better than nothing. After first harvest I dunked for 18 hrs. and the second flushes were fantastic. Good luck.

#38 max

max

canadian

• Banned Member
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 12:13 PM

if it ain't broken...don't fix it!

#39 tbonus

tbonus

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 02:28 PM

THANX

#40 {Mr}fLoYd

{Mr}fLoYd

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 209 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 10:47 AM

hmmm well not to sound cliche but i opened up the fruiting chamber which has been in incubation mode for 9 days now while my casing colonizes and i found a couple pins poking out of the corner. details of my grow are as follows....

1 X 1/2 pint colonized popcorn of EQ from multi spore
2.25 quarts (or there abouts) of 50/50 verm/peat mixture divided up half on bottom half on top there is a little bit of lime in the mix too. spwn was boil sterelized for 90 minutes.

Tray was prepped in a normal sandwich manner. the popcorn is on one layer in the middle of the top and bottom halfs of verm/peat.

i had a problem with my heat bomb not heating to proper temp so for about 4 days it was only at about 78 degrees F. then i got a new heating unit and it incubated for another 5 or 6 days @ normal 82 degrees F. I have a peice of plastic over the tray while it incubated and lifited it once or twice a day and gave it a very mild hand mist once a day during incubation (less than 1.5 cc of water sprayed aprox.)

the tray isnt as colonized as usual, or maybee im wrong i havnt done a case grow in a long time ... what does the community think i should do? continue to incubate with plastic on or off? ( i have not misted the casing in about 2 days because i thought it was close to birthing) or should i switch the fruiting chamber over to a fruiting chamber and let it get light and take the plastic off the of the casing?

Pic 1 : 9-22-06
Pic 2&3: 9-25-06

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0585.jpg
  • 100_0587.jpg
  • 100_0572.jpg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!