• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 piggy69

piggy69

E.O.S

• Expired Member
  • 233 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:25 PM

Can any one point me in the direction of some clean naptha. For some reason every thing I have found is contaminated with one or more aromatics etc.

Thanks in advance.

Pig

#2 whatchamacallit

whatchamacallit

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:27 PM

Search for VM&P naphtha, as it often is more pure than high flash naphtha. Check the MSDS's to be sure what is in each.

#3 piggy69

piggy69

E.O.S

• Expired Member
  • 233 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:40 PM

Doesnt look like any one stocks it over here. Any other ideas?

#4 lysergic

lysergic

Down on the Pharm

• Expired Member
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 04:48 PM

I've heard of people in the UK having good results with Coleman Fuel.

The US version is adulterated with some nasty rust inhibitors,
but apparently they don't seem to be present in the UK version.

Either way, be sure to do an evaporation test on anything you use to make sure it is indeed clean.

#5 piggy69

piggy69

E.O.S

• Expired Member
  • 233 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 05:00 PM

Thanks lysergic. Have also found this stuff. Any good?

Aspen 4T alkylate petrol

Aspen 4T is the cleanest petrol that you can use. Aspen is made from Alkylate Petrol which is made from the gases from the top of the distillation tower which is then synthetically modified into a liquid again. The result is a petrol that is totally free from sulphur, benzene and aromatics (solvents). It is chemically inert meaning that you can leave the fuel in the machinery and your lawn mover will start next spring again. An added bonus is that it does not smell, the exhausts does not smell, it will not smoke and you are breathing a much cleaner air when you are mowing your lawn.
Lawn mower exhausts are extremely dirty compared to fumes from normal cars that are equipped with catalytic converters. Would you have your afternoon tea behind your cars exhaust pipe??? Did not think so but you would probably happily cut your lawn with your motorised lawn mover without catalytic converters using normal petrol full of benzene and solvents. And if you are really green you are probably cultivating your own vegetables which will then be covered with fumes...
Use Aspen 4T and you will discover a completely new world of cleaner working environment - now you can cut your lawn without polluting the world and damaging your lungs.
Go to www.aspen.se for more information

Posted Image
Posted Image

ItemSizeOur Price (inc. VAT) Aspen 4T alkylate petrol 1 litre bottle£2.86Posted ImageAspen 4T alkylate petrol 5 litre can£13.65Posted ImageAspen 4T alkylate petrol 200 litre drum£520.92Posted Image

#6 lysergic

lysergic

Down on the Pharm

• Expired Member
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 05:23 PM

Check the MSDS for it.
It should list everything that it contains.
:)

#7 whatchamacallit

whatchamacallit

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:10 PM

Check lighter fluids, or camping fuel MSDS's to see if they have hexane, heptane, pentane, and/or nonane as the ingredients, as naphtha is a mix of these. One could look for these chemicals independently, as well. Hexane is best for pulling alkaloids out of the base solution, while heptane is better for recrystallizing because it holds DMT at warm to hot temps, but not at cold or freezing temps. The other chems in naphtha also probably vary a bit in there effectiveness and/or selectiveness, but SWIM doesn't know all of them individually for DMT. Anything else in the solvents may not be good, but you could post what you have found there (MSDS's) and we could look and see if anything bad is in them. Someone else asked about the alkylate petrol but SWIM doesn't know enough about what it is exactly to know how well it would work for extracting alkaloids.

#8 whatchamacallit

whatchamacallit

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:20 PM

Found the MSDS for Aspen 4T and it actually looks okay, provided one has proper ventilation. It does contain some benzene which is a carcinogen, but will work for pulling alkaloids, and the rest appears to be naphtha. Now SWIM isn't 100% sure of what exactly that naphtha has in it, but it should work for extracting. If one chooses this solvent, be sure to do an evaporation test on it to be sure it evaporates cleanly. Also, maybe post a photo of what it looks like in a clear jar to see if it has any color to it. VM&P Naphtha is clear.

From the MSDS:

Naphtha (petroleum), full-range alkylate 265-066-7 64741-64-6 85-95 % Xn ,F R-11, 38, 65, 67

benzene 200-753-7 71-43-2 <0,1 T ,F R-11, 45, 46, 36/38, 65, 48/23/24/25

Naphtha (petroleum), isomerization 265-073-5 64741-70-4 1-10 % Xn ,F R-11, 38, 65, 67

From another website on price of european naphtha:

Naphtha is an umbrella term for a range of liquid hydrocarbon materials obtained from crude oil that share the same properties - they are all highly flammable, extremely volatile and largely colorless. Kerosene and gasoline are both, technically, naphtha.

In Europe, naphtha comes predominantly from simple refineries and in a range of forms identified by their paraffinic content.

Paraffinic content is the key to modern naphtha use; lower paraffinic material tends to move to the US to be used as a blend stock for gasoline, while higher paraffinic naphtha is generally used as a feedstock for the petrochemical industry.

Another explanation:

Naphtha-
Mostly a mixture of hydrocarbons from 8 to 20 carbon atoms. The principal 8 carbon atoms hydrocarbon being the octane, main componant of the car gas. But the exact composition of naphtha can vary and depend of the origin of the crude oil from witch it has been distilled.

Refined petroleum naphtha of restricted boiling range; used as a solvent and paint thinner and in dry cleaning; Stoddard solvent is a special grade of solvent naphtha.

Link to a whole bunch of stuff about the differences in naphtha (.gov PDF file):

http://www.anl.gov/P..._08-92_1809.pdf

#9 piggy69

piggy69

E.O.S

• Expired Member
  • 233 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 12:24 PM

Thanks for your replys guys! This is the sort of help that makes topia what it is.

Will keep you updated.

#10 Leftover Salmon

Leftover Salmon

Bold as Love

• Expired Member
  • 490 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 12:12 PM

How does one tell if evaporates cleanly? Should there be no residues left behind?

#11 whatchamacallit

whatchamacallit

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 05:47 PM

How does one tell if evaporates cleanly? Should there be no residues left behind?

Nothing, no residues, correct.

#12 Raziel

Raziel

We will ... live forever

• Expired Member
  • 2,375 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 August 2009 - 02:01 PM

I have read that this is the next best thing to Napha that is available in the UK.

http://www.diy.com/d...6&isSearch=true

#13 piggy69

piggy69

E.O.S

• Expired Member
  • 233 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 03:08 PM

Thank you! Will see how good it is a thinning paint.

#14 Raziel

Raziel

We will ... live forever

• Expired Member
  • 2,375 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 August 2009 - 03:12 PM

Let me know how you get on with it or I will let you know because I will be buying this in a few days, I have lots of paint to thin out :eusa_shif

#15 SilvrHairDevil

SilvrHairDevil

Gatekeeper

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:04 PM

You can get VM&P Naphtha from the paint store also. It will leave no residue.

http://www.sciencela...ha_VM_P-9926175

(Varnish Makers & Painters)

#16 Raziel

Raziel

We will ... live forever

• Expired Member
  • 2,375 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:24 PM

You can get VM&P Naphtha from the paint store also. It will leave no residue.

http://www.sciencela...ha_VM_P-9926175

(Varnish Makers & Painters)

Not in the uk you can't.

#17 ethnobotanica

ethnobotanica

Botanical-manical

• Expired Member
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 08:48 AM

Hey you guys,

Has none of you gone into Snow & Rock or Black's???

They have a product called Primus camping fuel. Its basically a cleaner coleman's.

A really quick ice cold ammonia wash afterwards will get it really, really clean.

Coleman's is shit, zippo fluid is ok but expensive by weight.

Its also hard to get top grade chem's from supplier's without being a relevant company.

Give it a try, you might like it ;)

Not to say this Aspen stuff isn't good but I havn't heard of it til now, may look into it. :)

Primus definately works though..not sure about the benzene content but they do claim it is low.
An ammonia wash ( ice cold ) on a nice dry, white, fluffy product ( which u get with afformentioned product) should get any residual benzene's and such stuff out. Foaf's spice is very strong and quite smooth, if spice can be smooth.:lol:
I know what its like taking a hit from dirty batch btw and the difference noticed when using the different solvent was astounding.

Hope that is of some use Piggy69 :)

Peace:rasta:

#18 ethnobotanica

ethnobotanica

Botanical-manical

• Expired Member
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 08:59 AM

BTW, its the one in the same shape can as Coleman's. ;)

#19 piggy69

piggy69

E.O.S

• Expired Member
  • 233 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 10:35 AM

Thanks for your reply. I have settled for Ronsonol lighter fuel which although expensive gives a great end product.
The ice cold ammonia wash definitely makes a big difference to smoothness as does infusing onto a herb of somekind.
I really think that infusing onto blue lotus, pao d'arco or passion flower give a much smoother ride and each one adds something to the experience. Worth a try IMHO

Pig

#20 SilvrHairDevil

SilvrHairDevil

Gatekeeper

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:50 PM

Not in the uk you can't.

I discovered that what you want to look for is "White Spirits" and I found one supplier...

http://www.birdbrand...&_Solvents.html

there are more.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!