• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 magic_mush87

magic_mush87

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 08:15 PM

Hello everybody this is my first post, but not my first experience with growing. I've done pf cakes and plenty of caseings but not the tek i'm documenting right now. This tek is The Shroom Gods tek, i'm using popcorn as the spawn and straw as the substrate, the caseing layer will be made of vern, coco coir with crushed oyster shells. I recently knocked up my 7 jars of popcorn spawn last tuesday, and they are now hanging out in my incubator. I will be posting more pics as I progress hopefully with the aid of your expert tips :eusa_pray

~Magic_Mush87~

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0286.jpg
  • IMG_0287.jpg
  • IMG_0285.jpg

#2 Guest_pcsillypj_*

Guest_pcsillypj_*

Posted 21 January 2006 - 10:12 PM

happy first post...congrats....:roll:
i'm always happy to see a new face around
here....i'm sure you will get lots of help from
all of us around here...keep us posted...:D

#3 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 10:16 PM

Looks good man! IMO though, i'd cut that heat down to at least 80. 85's pushing it for your first grow attmept. None the less, looking good.

#4 {Mr}fLoYd

{Mr}fLoYd

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 209 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 02:00 PM

Hey man good to see your post, i have also done some stuff with cakes and casing and will be posting some results soon. Likewise im looking for something new and am in the middle of doing my own popcorn jars. My only question is do you have to spawn popcorn onto something else, like straw or straw/poo or can they be birthed and grown like PF cakes. I have plans on doing straw teks but i also have A lot of jars (12 half quart) incubating and while i would be overjoyed to get them all birthed .... i would also be wondering WTF am i gonna do with them all, i just dont have that much room. sorry to post over your thread but your situation is so similar i had to ask. Cheers

FLOYD

#5 DJTetsu

DJTetsu

View Source Code

• Expired Member
  • 301 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 03:11 PM

floyd,

I am now qualified to answer this, since I'm having my pins pop out of my first popcorn attempt.

They don't need to spawned. What I did was just lay them out in an aluminum tray, cover it with some verm on top (barely enough so that the contents of the jars become hidden), and put in my terr just like my pf cakes.

#6 {Mr}fLoYd

{Mr}fLoYd

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 209 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 05:24 PM

Cheers for the responce, i was hoping that i could find a way to stagger them out, I.E. a couple jars getting fruiting results within 7 days, and then some longer straw casings that require another 2-3 weeks of incubation before they need a fruiting chamber ... an abitious experiment but i always prep for failure ... thanks again and good luck Magic Mush87 and DJTetsu.

FLOYD

#7 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 January 2006 - 06:50 PM

Welcome to the 'topia Magic!

My FOAF has had no problem at all fruiting "plain" popcorn cakes of Hillbilly. I feel certain yours will work.

Stagger them out by just birthing the cakes two or three days apart. Leaving them in the jar for a few days extra won't hurt a thing - it actually seems to make 'em work a little better to "overcolonize." This has worked quite well for my FOAF, guaranteeing freshies whenever he wants them...invitros are also real good for freshies when you want them, as you can put a nearly mature jar in the fridge for weeks and weeks without it spoiling.

#8 {Mr}fLoYd

{Mr}fLoYd

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 209 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 11:32 PM

WOW, thanks, glad i have options in case i do so well ... sorry again for hijacking your thread Majic

Floyd

#9 jrogers311

jrogers311

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 406 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 11:24 AM

any news magic mush 87? Any results add to our knowledge. best wishes.

#10 magic_mush87

magic_mush87

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 09:07 PM

Hey everybody sorry that I haven't been updating my project lately I've been busy with life. Today I pasteurized three pillow cases of straw, enough to fill my tub pictured in the images below. For each layer of hay one jar of popcorn spawn was used, equaling a total of seven jars. After completing the layers I proceeded to push the hay down to a more compact height as the "shroom god tek" suggests. One thing I am not sure of though after tucking in the hay with plastic and poking holes every 2 square inches, is how often I am supposed to mist to keep things moist? And how often should I fan the tub? Another thing I am unsure of is the effiency of the light I am considering using, it is the green neon string shown below, it emits some light, but i'm not sure if it will be enough to encourage pinning and strong growth, the only reason I am even thinking of using this puny light source is because my grow is Closet-Stealth and the neon produces little to no heat.
So what do you guys think?

More to come in about a week:eusa_danc

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0392.jpg
  • IMG_0390.jpg
  • IMG_0389.jpg
  • IMG_0387.jpg
  • IMG_0383.jpg
  • IMG_0380.jpg
  • IMG_0376.jpg
  • IMG_0379.jpg

#11 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 11:46 AM

i would give brighter light if possible.
fan at lest once a day.
it's easy to over-do misting
so go light, let surface dry a bit
easier to add water than to remove

#12 jrogers311

jrogers311

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 406 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 04:06 PM

Good luck 87!:D

#13 magic_mush87

magic_mush87

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 01:33 AM

Hey everyone sorry about the long wait Ive been really busy with my new job and everything. Anyways my straw finley finished on the 1st of this month and i cased with a 60/40 coco coir and verm mix and i also added lime and oyster shells to the mix to kick things up a bit. For the lighting I had 2 lights but they didn't work because the humidity was shorting them out. A few questions for ya. Whats the ideal Temp, humidity, and how often should I fan? I will do my best to update more often from now on. Peace!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0528.jpg
  • IMG_0526.jpg
  • IMG_0531.jpg
  • IMG_0527.jpg
  • IMG_0522.jpg

#14 jrogers311

jrogers311

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 406 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 08:58 AM

I'd say 70-80%rh since you've cased them. You can tell when the coir is drying out it will get lighter in color. Around the same for temps 60-80. Lots of different ideas on airflow from covering with waxed paper to fish airpumps on timers to polyfill stuffed holes. Best of luck!

#15 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 12:45 PM

something like this rubbermaid with
polyfil stuffed in several holes to give filtered exchange
might be a good choice,
no extra fanning needed.
http://mycotopia.net...14&d=1141843004

#16 Hippie3