• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 OmBudsMan

OmBudsMan

Fruit lover

• Expired Member
  • 294 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 08:29 PM

I just watched a show on the National Geographic channel about giant snakes and holy crap! they showed two pictures of humans being eaten by reticuled pythons(which can grow up to 30feet). The first picture was still up in the air about its validity(the case can be made for and against), but the second one is legit....the only reason the snake didn't finish swalling the person was because a local cop got there and shot the snake dead after taking the photo. If the snake had enough time or the mans body was laying on one side, the guy would have been swallowed! I just thought it was interesting to post up since I always thought it was a myth that snakes would eat people.

They actually also mentioned an instance where in florida a python escaped out of its cell and swallowed an aligator. But it burst eventually and the picture ended up showing half the aligator hanging out of the pythons stomach... pretty wild stuff.

And here is also another link that shows the 'alleged' 49 foot reticulated python. I'm not sure if it ever got confirmed for sure...but wow!
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/3845750/

Attached Files

#2 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• 7,737 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 09:23 PM

Man, that's horrifying for sure! My largest fear is to get attacked by a shark. A snake or bear would be next....

2 friends and I were surfing the Sabastian Inlet in Florida one day and a massive Bull shark rolled on top of the water right in between us. I've never been that scared in my life and to this day haven't gotten back in to the water unless it's shallow enough to run well. Hip high is the max for me man....

#3 perrch01

perrch01

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 03:32 AM

Retics can get to 36 feet without too much trouble, I wish my pet store didn't sell them but they do so I scare people out of buying them by telling them they need to get an exotic permit which costs several hundred dollars a year and the the department of natrual resources and wildlife will check on them and their snake every year for the next ten years. Thank god we don't sell Anacondas although several stores around here do...

Anacondas and reticulated pythons are the only snakes that really have the capability to swallow a full grown human. And no reticulated python has ever been confirmed anywhere near 46 feet. There have been rumors but nothing proving it. The are also rumors of the native tribes in the anacondas region of an ancient anaconda that is over 40 feet long but no proof has ever been found on that...

These snakes are more than capable of eating a human and should be illegal to own or sell but regretably they are not...

I got called in a few years ago to deal with 7 nile Monitors that ate their owner. In all fairness they didn't kill him but they did eat him after he died of a heart attack. It was my job to place these damn things so they now live at a petting zoo in PA under the agreement that no one can ever touch them and they can never advertise them as man eaters.

I try to warn my customers that all reptiles can be dangerous if they are over a certain size, they think their red tail boa will be fine until it gets loose and eats their cat...

Side note- I was given two red tail boas (around 7 feet each) and their 125 gallon tank today for free, oh the joys of free pets because no one else can handle them, I've gotten tons of shit this way...

sorry to hijak the thread, I've been drinking heavily and felt the need to post my two cents plus interest, lol

#4 Stenciler

Stenciler

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 493 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 03:43 AM

mmm....drunken posting on sat night/sun mornin at 4am. I'll second that

#5 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• 7,737 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 03:46 AM

I really want a Nile monitor for sure. Ever see the lame ass movie with Brian Bozworth when he had the cool Nile monitor for a pet? It was like 6 foot long and growled when he messed with it. Pretty cool IMO. I'm sure the cats would disagree though...lol

#6 Stenciler

Stenciler

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 493 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 03:48 AM

that was an awesome movie! I hear Nile's have REALLY bad breath tho.

#7 perrch01

perrch01

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 09:41 AM

I really want a Nile monitor for sure. Ever see the lame ass movie with Brian Bozworth when he had the cool Nile monitor for a pet? It was like 6 foot long and growled when he messed with it. Pretty cool IMO. I'm sure the cats would disagree though...lol

lmao

I had a Nile for awhile and he was one nasty fucker, the people who gave him to me had a 5 foot long stick with a bent nail in the end of it, thats how they handled him...We get them every once in awhile in my store, but we always have Savannah Monitors, easier to deal with...

#8 doobydoobydoo

doobydoobydoo

Lifestyles Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 12:24 PM

Yep, go to sleep, wake up find yourself being digested inside a snake. LOL JOY! hehehehe

#9 OmBudsMan

OmBudsMan

Fruit lover

• Expired Member
  • 294 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 06:16 PM

:lol:... I think being eaten by sharks is one of my worst fears as well...but after watching that show, I think being swallowed by a snake has been added to the top 5.

#10 mindovermycelia

mindovermycelia

Imaginary friend

• Free Member
  • 767 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 06:54 PM

I may be wrong, but I don't think sharks usually eat people, they just take a few bites, enough to maim/kill you, and go off to look for somethig more tasty, maybe a little pissed about the false advertising.

#11 OmBudsMan

OmBudsMan

Fruit lover

• Expired Member
  • 294 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 12:02 AM

They generally don't from what I have watched/read but there are instances of that happening. I'm an avid watcher of the National Geographic and Discovery channels, and there was an episode about the planned attack of the two great white sharks on a sufrer off the coast of South Africa. I'm not sure if you saw the footage but it was of the guy that was riding his board on top of a wave and two great whites attacked him at the same time. But yes, most of the attacks are result of a confusion on the part of sharks thinking we are seals/other regular animals that they eat.

Still...mistakes or not, id be scared as hell if I saw one coming up to bite me!

#12 maliki

maliki

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 392 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 06:41 AM

Perch I would gladley remove the two red tails from your care..... No isues to speak of.....
I miss my Berm in the worst way...
She was 18 feet and of old age.........
Realy Ill give em a good home....
Are they true Columbian reds
Or simply red tail boas....
???

#13 perrch01

perrch01

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 12:57 PM

lol, thanks for the offer, after they eat me out of house and home I may call you.

They are not true ColUmbians, just red tails. Pretty cool snakes though. Had to give up the dinning room table to make room for them. But once my idiot roommate moves out they will go in there. Now I just need to get some weight on them...

#14 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• 7,737 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 01:37 PM

They generally don't from what I have watched/read but there are instances of that happening. I'm an avid watcher of the National Geographic and Discovery channels, and there was an episode about the planned attack of the two great white sharks on a sufrer off the coast of South Africa. I'm not sure if you saw the footage but it was of the guy that was riding his board on top of a wave and two great whites attacked him at the same time. But yes, most of the attacks are result of a confusion on the part of sharks thinking we are seals/other regular animals that they eat.

Still...mistakes or not, id be scared as hell if I saw one coming up to bite me!

Yeah, I saw that footage. He was very fortunate indeed to only get a mild bite to the hand. Even after that, he still gets his ass in the water at the same surf spot. No way! My encounter was good enough and we didn't get harmed thankfully. I mean, being in a predators stomping grounds like a White shark isn't something i'd even attempt. I don't care how good the surfing is. My nervousness while bobbing around the water simply makes it unpleasurable for me.....

#15 maliki

maliki

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 392 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 05:41 PM

Perch Gut Load the mice or rats with some very high protien food.
One of the better gut loads ive found is monkey chow for iguanas.
The Mice\ rats Love it and its super high in protien. And dont forget to dust them with reptivite...
I imagine ya know all this.....
But Just in case..

#16 perrch01

perrch01

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 08:47 PM

Yeah don't worry, I'm a vet tech and I work in a pet store, I know how to take care of them, lol.

#17 OmBudsMan

OmBudsMan

Fruit lover

• Expired Member
  • 294 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 08:36 AM

that's wild stuff Lazlo! I'm sure I wouldn't go back in the water either if that happened to me. I've never surfed but I've been to New Zealand before and saw caught,dead sharks layed out on the very beach that I've been going to for swimming. After seeing something like that, I was scared to go too far offshore in the open wate...even though sharks still can roam in knee deep! yikes! ... they are quite the predators.

#18 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• 7,737 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 09:56 AM

Ohhhh man! Here's a link to some horrible shark attacks I just found looking for an article. One dude DEFINATELY got eat'en! Ouch! Not the he cares anymore. Not to be takin lightly for the soft stomached.....
http://www.sharkatta....com/index.html

#19 OmBudsMan

OmBudsMan

Fruit lover

• Expired Member
  • 294 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 10:30 AM

:amazed::amazed:

wow...yeah, the weak stomached really ought not take a look.

#20 OmBudsMan

OmBudsMan

Fruit lover

• Expired Member
  • 294 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 09:28 AM

hey Lazlo...nice new avi. :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: maneating, snakes

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!