• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:39 AM

how often is the cool mist running and for how long ?

#42 apokalypse

apokalypse

Dr. Durgs

• Expired Member
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 12:30 PM

:cacti: :eusa_danc :cacti:

#43 VaporizerJon

VaporizerJon

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 12:36 PM

It's the vicks model with a built in humidistat. It runs almost all the time even with a tray of perlite in the greenhouse. I'm working on getting an ionic mist humidifier to help keep my casings from drying out so much so quickly. Basically the only reason those two matured is the cling wrap i put over the top of the box to keep the casing from drying out. Because i had a poor flush and started seeing contams in the casing layer i scraped the casing off and dunked the substrate in the fridge for about 15 hours. The "cake" from the tray broke up a bit but i put it back in the box anyways....maybe if i'm lucky i'll get a few more out of it. I have agar plates to take some isolates with. Would one of those two shrooms be suitable for a culture or should i not culture mutated shrooms?
thanks for all the help

#44 Nabby

Nabby

Mushroom Muncher

• Expired Member
  • 508 posts

Donator

Posted 23 August 2006 - 06:31 PM

Okay, here's the pics from when I first birthed my cakes, and one of my Redboy bag, before I broke it open and threw it in the terrarium with the cakes. These are from a couple weeks ago. I have since picked about 5.5 grams (dried) off the cakes.

Attached Thumbnails

• RB Bag start.jpg
  • Cake 2 start.jpg
  • Cake 3 start.jpg
  • Cake start.jpg

#45 Nabby

Nabby

Mushroom Muncher

• Expired Member
  • 508 posts

Donator

Posted 23 August 2006 - 06:37 PM

My grows slowed down, so I had a little look at the cakes... seemed like aluminum foil was a bad idea... I may have had too much moisture in the perlite, and it was coming up onto the bottom of the cakes. I flipped them over and had little pins all over the bottoms of the cakes. So I grabbed the lid to an old 1 gallon ice cream bucket, filled it with moist vermiculite, and set it in the bottom of the terrarium with the cakes on top of it, added some moist verm to the top of them too, and as you can see they're off and growing well again. On the other end of the terrarium is my Redboy myc cake that was originally a bag, but I cut it open and birthed it in there with them. The next pic is my two other bags that I'm just going to let grow as they were meant to. No pins on those yet, we'll see how it goes.

Attached Thumbnails

• Colonized Bags.jpg
  • Out of the Bag.jpg
  • Ice Cream Lid.jpg

#46 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,767 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 August 2006 - 07:37 AM

:dance:

#47 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 07:43 AM

good luck

#48 siam_jim

siam_jim

Mycotopia Mod

• Expired Member
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 07:46 AM

why congrats!!!:teeth: in fact ima gunna burn a fat bowl for ya right......now!!!

i'll second that as well,,,,:dance:

siam

#49 apokalypse

apokalypse

Dr. Durgs

• Expired Member
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:50 AM

I'll mix it up a bit..

:cacti: :dance: :cacti:

#50 Nabby

Nabby

Mushroom Muncher

• Expired Member
  • 508 posts

Donator

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:56 PM

Those pins I had on the bottom of one of my cakes are ready to be harvested today. I busted out my good digi cam and took some pics.

Wanted to show you my terrarium, in a big rubbermaid clear tote. I cut a square out of the side of it and put a patch of Tyvek over it, because sometimes I can't come home during the day to fan them, so I wanted to make sure they still get some sort of air. As you can see, it's in my closet. If I'm home during the day, the door stays open so they can get some indirect sun from the window opposite it. Otherwise, they have that tiny fluorescent lamp plugged into a timer that sets in the dry-drawer.

The dry-drawer, which was where I originally did my innoculations, I turned into a makeshift drying chamber. The extension cord that runs the operation goes into there, and from there, the timer for the terra's light source is on it, as well as the small fan (isn't it cute? impulse buy at walmart) that blows air across the drying shrooms. In the opposite corner is my little bucket of DampRid. I'm not too worried about using it up quickly on fresher shrooms because I have a LOT of the stuff. Here are pics of the drawer, and then a slightly blurry pic of it with the mushies in it for drying (on top of a freezer bag).

Lastly, I wanted to show you a few good pictures of the mushies themselves. I have a few small ones growing on one cake, there's a pic of those, but more importantly, here are pics of my cake that I am harvesting now. An above pic, a pic from the underside, a pic of a single shroom once picked, and then another of those shrooms that I cut in half. I choose to pic them before the veil starts to tear, but when it starts to have a nice dark ring to it, as you can see in the picture. Usually their veil breaks and their cap just barely starts to spread during the time it takes for them to dry anyway.

Attached Thumbnails

• WholeFresh.jpg
  • Bisect.jpg
  • Prepick.jpg
  • Smallcake.jpg
  • Underside.jpg
  • Drying.jpg
  • Terra.jpg
  • DryerDrawer.jpg

#51 fungalsporesolution

fungalsporesolution

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 367 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:04 PM

Cheers, man! :headbang:

Now go enjoy your first fruits :amazed:

'tis what I'll be doing

#52 heidiopolis

heidiopolis

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 02:15 AM

my boyfriend and i have been trying to grow mushrooms for a little while now, and have just started to really get it down. today the first pins, out of our only surviving cake, poked out. we have four more jars we just innoculated, so hopefully we will have lots of pinning cakes in a couple weeks :]

the baby pins: password ****

*Link Removed due to personal Pictures*

hopefully we will have a decent crop coming along shortly... :]

happy growing!

*spores can travel through space*

#53 scotia

scotia

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 184 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 05:36 AM

Well done. It's a great feeling when you see pins ain't it! The photos are a little blurred. What strain are they? Texan?

#54 heidiopolis

heidiopolis

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 12:27 PM

best feeling in the world! lots of work has finally paid off :]
(we had two whole 12 jar batches die... a faulty heater killed the first one, and the second cakes got dried out by a fan; we've learned some lessons. this one cake that did survive was a late bloomer from the 2nd batch; it wasnt fully colonized when we birthed the others, and we ended up birthing it after the rest had dried out.) i think we've finally got the whole system working nicely, and we have some more jars colonizing at the moment.

these are actually B+'s. ill put better pictures up when they get bigger. theyve already doubled in size since yesterday!!

*spores can travel through space*

#55 tbonus

tbonus

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 03:17 PM

good luck,hope you guys get plenty more!

#56 rockawayrooms

rockawayrooms

Hash Pipe Harry

• Expired Member
  • 2,770 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 03:20 PM

Welcome and CONGRATS:rasta:

#57 srgtm1a

srgtm1a

yeah, yeah, you know.

• Expired Member
  • 760 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 03:23 PM

I know you want to share your pics, but that link also allowed people to see personal pictures, So I removed the link....here are her pictures.

th_IMG_0473.jpg

th_IMG_0474.jpg

th_IMG_047311.jpg

Just being on the safe side. You can upload your pictures directly here in the future.

Congrats on the first grow and welcome!

#58 heidiopolis

heidiopolis

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 02:26 AM

thanks... and sorry about that. i put up that link cuz the picture size was gigantic... ill upload them next time :]

#59 Guest_pcsillypj_*

Guest_pcsillypj_*

Posted 02 September 2006 - 03:09 AM

moved to photogallery....;)

those pins are cute..:D

#60 dopey2dope

dopey2dope

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 02:02 PM

Hell yeah :eusa_danc