• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dan

Dan

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 11:07 PM

so....swim is in a bit of a predicament. He broke his sep funnell and he's is in the middle of an a/b mhrb extraction.He's using a big one gallon pickle jar....so he went running around town and could not find one glass turkey baster,only plastic ones.

Can he do his naptha pulls using a plastic baster......usually when he's used a glass baster in the past....when he gets down to that very thin layer of naptha, that is impossible to pull with a baster, he will switch to a plastic syringe......so he's thinking he might be able to get away with using a plastic baster.

Any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanx ahead of time.

#2 lysergic

lysergic

Down on the Pharm

• Expired Member
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 03:42 AM

so....swim is in a bit of a predicament. He broke his sep funnell and he's is in the middle of an a/b mhrb extraction.He's using a big one gallon pickle jar....so he went running around town and could not find one glass turkey baster,only plastic ones.

Can he do his naptha pulls using a plastic baster......usually when he's used a glass baster in the past....when he gets down to that very thin layer of naptha, that is impossible to pull with a baster, he will switch to a plastic syringe......so he's thinking he might be able to get away with using a plastic baster.

Any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanx ahead of time.

It really depends on what type of plastic the baster is made out of.
Plastic #2 is what you want.

Syringes work great,
My friends use two of them glued on top of one another to do all the pulls.

You have to be careful not to let any solvent touch the rubber on the plunger though
or else it will warp it and the plunger will get stuck.

#3 Dan

Dan

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 08:10 AM

Thanks for the info on the type of plastic.......

i've seen people do the syringe thing glued, which is a really good idea but i happened to stumble upon a huge syring (flavor injector) and it holds a lot more volume and i'm pretty sure...it's the right type of plastic because it hasn't failed yet. Swim rubs just a dap of vasline on the rubber stopper just to make things smoother. He just did'nt want to do the whole pull with it.

Anyway's thanks for responding and thanks for the info.... cheers.

#4 lysergic

lysergic

Down on the Pharm

• Expired Member
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 01:35 PM

Thanks for the info on the type of plastic.......

i've seen people do the syringe thing glued, which is a really good idea but i happened to stumble upon a huge syring (flavor injector) and it holds a lot more volume and i'm pretty sure...it's the right type of plastic because it hasn't failed yet. Swim rubs just a dap of vasline on the rubber stopper just to make things smoother. He just did'nt want to do the whole pull with it.

Anyway's thanks for responding and thanks for the info.... cheers.

:thumbup:

#5 Thre365ive

Thre365ive

Alchemycologist

• Expired Member
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:04 PM

You could always make an aspirator siphon, too. Siphon > turkey baster. PTFE (2-liter bottles) are fine for this, too.
  • kcmoxtractor likes this

#6 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,810 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 August 2009 - 12:20 AM

Agreed with siphon > turkey baster.
If you slowly pour your solvent off the top you can use a propel gatorade bottle also, it has a twist cap that you can use to regulate the flow.

#7 UnlearnEverything

UnlearnEverything

I'd rather be dreaming!

• Expired Member
  • 245 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:34 AM

I prefer a turkey baster because you can see what your sucking up. If little drops of basic solution are sucked up, you can see them in the baster. All you have to do is stop sucking up teh solvent, hold the volume in the baster, and the basified solution falls back into the mix.

#8 Thre365ive

Thre365ive

Alchemycologist

• Expired Member
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 10:02 PM

I prefer a turkey baster because you can see what your sucking up. If little drops of basic solution are sucked up, you can see them in the baster. All you have to do is stop sucking up teh solvent, hold the volume in the baster, and the basified solution falls back into the mix.

But it tends to jostle things up in the process, so you have to pick a different spot to siphon. Just makes it take longer.

I usually just siphon the solvent, then run it through a sep funnel. Easy as hell. Also, I had bad problems with xylene melting my turkey basters when extracting mescaline. Aquarium hose & 2-liter bottles both stood up to it just fine.

#9 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,810 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 August 2009 - 03:45 AM

Yeah having to wait for the layers to stop rippling can become quite the pain. Pretty to look at with all the color flecks, but takes more time. Suck some water up with the siphon until you get a good feel for it and you will see how precise it can be.
If you get a little lye in the bottom of the two liter, you can poke a hole and just drain the lye out, after the lye is out cover with your thumb, then drain your solvent into whatever the next vessel will be.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!