Fisana

- - - - -

help with agar substitute isolation

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_valleyofmushies_*

Guest_valleyofmushies_*

Posted 08 August 2009 - 12:06 PM

ok so i made some oatmeal gelatin and it hardened enough that i'm trying to use for a growth medium for isolating . here is some pics of two dishes that are 6 days after a clone cutting and transfer onto these dishes.
i'm wanting to know if i'm right in thinking i'm supposed to sector the myc off. By cutting from small supposed sectors of growing myc and transfering onto more dishes until i can see no more sectoring???
???????????????????????/
this is my first go at isolating and i'm nervous but i watched the RR videos on it and i think i can do it.
which dish do u think i should start cutting from or maybe both????????
one looks good to me and i was also wondering do i let them grow another couple of days and let the myc growth expand for better sectoring cuts????
my plan is to make a cut tomorrow afternoon after work.
i think the recipe on this gelatin is a teaspoon lemon jello mix per half cup plain oatmeal and like a 3/4 cups water in a Qt. jar PCed for hour and ten.

Attached Thumbnails

• Image0018.jpg
  • Image0011.jpg

Edited by the_chosen_one, 14 August 2009 - 11:57 AM.
potential archive material

#2 Shroomette

Shroomette

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 12:27 PM

They both look fine but, I would let it just grow and expand out more to get a better look and easy for cutting out a portion.

#3 Guest_valleyofmushies_*

Guest_valleyofmushies_*

Posted 08 August 2009 - 02:53 PM

thx shroomette ...i'll let it grow more i was thinking the same but with a confirmation on it i will now make a cut after it grows more

thx :) i love this stuff watching it grow at such small scales :)
i'm new at this shit and just wanna learn alot
making more dishes today for this next week i got cakes of Arg. B+, Brazil, coming up...i like to take samples for LC and other shit off some good white myc.
i'll birth in front of the flow hood and start more dish work.

#4 Guest_valleyofmushies_*

Guest_valleyofmushies_*

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:29 PM

ok so i let it more grow and made some cuts...here pics and one pics of some amazon cakes that will serve me well with its fruits at an Incubus show tomorrow night in Atlanta ...:)

the pics of the one dish and the three dishes is all amazon.
the other pic with just 2 dishes in it is of brazilian..
u can tell i dropped the piece during the cutting and it dropped on one dish a few cm shy of the center and i picked up and moved..that lil bit of contact was all needed to leave enough for grow lol i kinda fucked it up but i think its cool about the amount needed for more growth.....made some more cuts today from newly ready B+ cake and an Argintina cake that i birthed infront of the flow hood and took sample of both....4 strains on Gelatin ..not bad for something that costs 94 cents a pack...

Attached Thumbnails

• Image0051.jpg
  • Image0052.jpg
  • Image0053.jpg
  • Image0054.jpg

#5 Sideshow

Sideshow

Screaming Meatball

• Expired Member
  • 397 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 11:03 PM

Those plates look really good.
It may take 2-3 transfers to get sectoring.
You can either cut out a square of colonized media or scrape the leading edge (less likely to harbor contams) of the growing mycelia for transfer to a fresh plate.
People around here are always looking for agar alternatives.
Would you be so kind as to explain in detail your recipe/proceedure?
  • the_chosen_one likes this

#6 Sideshow

Sideshow

Screaming Meatball

• Expired Member
  • 397 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 11:05 PM

Oh, and it's hard to tell b/c the pics are somewhat fuzzy, but that sure looks like sectoring to me.:thumbup:

#7 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 13 August 2009 - 11:15 PM

Those plates look really good.
It may take 2-3 transfers to get sectoring.
You can either cut out a square of colonized media or scrape the leading edge (less likely to harbor contams) of the growing mycelia for transfer to a fresh plate.
People around here are always looking for agar alternatives.
Would you be so kind as to explain in detail your recipe/proceedure?

yeah. off to a good start. i agree with sideshow. a few more jumps should begin to sector more clearly. then you can grab a few isolates to test fruiting.

..and yes. details please.

:heart:

#8 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 13 August 2009 - 11:17 PM

Oh, and it's hard to tell b/c the pics are somewhat fuzzy, but that sure looks like sectoring to me.:thumbup:

ha! was gonna say.. there's a few nice choices. :D
  • Shroomette likes this

#9 Guest_valleyofmushies_*

Guest_valleyofmushies_*

Posted 14 August 2009 - 12:03 AM

the recipe is very easy and i made it up myself......with some educated additives like oatmeal....

1 empty Qt. jar to mix in.
1 teaspoon lemon jello mix(i haven't tried other flavors yet.)
3/4 cups water
1/2 cup of plain oatmeal
shaken ...not stirred for about 5 seconds to mix everything up in the Qt jar.
after mixing then add tinfoil to the top of the jar to protect from the PCing and cook it up at the norm temps for hours and ten...
here comes the tricky part ....see this stuff hardens a lil while its still hot....i think it start to solidify around 5-6 hours after PCing .....the trick is to PC and then let set in there and after 3 hours off the stove then i would go ahead and check it and open the PC and set it out whipe it off and swirl it around to help mix it up more, then pour.
i like to swirl in between pours to get it all evenly thick i don't wanna sludge at the bottom when i'm getting close to emptying the jar.
i don't know how many plates u can make with one pack of jello...but i'm still on my first pack lol..
and wat gave me the idea was that if u poke agar that u buy from the store it feels like hard jello. so i thought shit i'll try some jello.then i thought it might not be so good by its self so i should something from a recipe of the many agar recipes in one of paul stamets' books ,,,,i looked and oatmeal was the only thing that i also had in the kitchen already.
and i made some cuts and i got like 5 other dishes that just don't look ready to show but they're doing good ...they are sectoring cuts and i hope they looked good after more growth.

#10 bozefonce

bozefonce

peculiar star

• OG VIP
  • 732 posts

Donator

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:01 AM

the recipe is very easy and i made it up myself......with some educated additives like oatmeal....

See, this is what I love about this site. So many people innovating. You take what's been done in the past, make educated guesses and experiment with it. When something new works, others begin to imitate, and the knowledge base expands. Seems like those dishes are working fine, and you didn't have to go buy agar, just used what many folks have in their cupboards already. I'll be very interested to see how things work out in the end, and whether this is repeatable by the majority. Great job, Valley! :bow::bow:
  • the_chosen_one likes this

#11 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 14 August 2009 - 11:51 AM

See, this is what I love about this site. So many people innovating. You take what's been done in the past, make educated guesses and experiment with it. When something new works, others begin to imitate, and the knowledge base expands. Seems like those dishes are working fine, and you didn't have to go buy agar, just used what many folks have in their cupboards already. I'll be very interested to see how things work out in the end, and whether this is repeatable by the majority. Great job, Valley! :bow::bow:

indeed. we love teks for everyone. just think, if one was to use 1/2 pint jars instead of petri's then basically the whole tek can be done without purchasing any mycological supplies. we may have some similar teks already, but options are always good.

archive material

:bow:

#12 Guest_valleyofmushies_*

Guest_valleyofmushies_*

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:23 PM

yeah chosen then the 1/2 pints would also be reusable in any case ...u could also bleach soak and then PC to clean em...:) i love this site...

u know i haven't even started college....just got out of high school and i think i wanna go into mycology for not just a hobby but for a job one day u guys.....
and take some chem. classes so i make me my own chemicals for any occasion.
this site has motivated me u guys...

#13 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:37 PM

many have a microwave oven too. much agar work can be done with that as well. it's just a LOT of 10 secands and OFF.. 10 seconds and OFF.. but it works!

the roots of psychedelic culture support a tree that branches in many directions. may yours bloom plentiful. :bow:

#14 Om shanti

Om shanti

S.W.I.M. in H.POO

• Expired Member
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:15 AM

Very innovative! Thanks for the tips.:headbang:

#15 Guest_valleyofmushies_*

Guest_valleyofmushies_*

Posted 22 August 2009 - 01:49 PM

heres some pics of the gelatin project and the amazon is looking nice with cuttings from fruits and transferred to gelatin but the Arg. B+ and brazilian are from cuts of myc from multispore ...so i guess they will take longer to get to a iso...i'll just keep sectoring...and more...more

honestly idk but i keep reading from this site ........in hopes to learn enough

and also some pics for u guys of some fruits i'm enjoying in Atlanta this weekend with some friends . while seeing sts9

the dark caps are amazon from LC and the white ish ones are Brazilian from multispore.
when i get home i should be looking at some good gelatin ....2 monotubs that will be needing light to start fruiting ....and some Arg. B+ and more amazon cakes fruiting :greenboun......and prolly something else i forgot to...lol

Attached Thumbnails

• sts 012.JPG
  • sts 004.JPG
  • sts 015.JPG
  • Image0011.jpg
  • Image0012.jpg
  • sts 002.JPG

#16 Foster

Foster

cyanophile

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,254 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 August 2009 - 02:20 PM

Hi VoM. Lookls like you are doing pretty well with that mix. Congrats man.
Are you doing this all open air? In a glove box?

I'm impressed with the success if open air. Hell I'm impressed if not ;)

Rock on mang.:headbang:

#17 weiliicoyote

weiliicoyote

respect the shroom

• Expired Member
  • 228 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 03:36 PM

Hey valleyofmushies that agar substitute is really cool, I got a question for ya. Ive got the 5 minute cook type of oatmeal, is that what you use? or will this work

PS I was at the sts9 show at the tabernacle last night, it was kickass. wish I was going to the one tonight but I have special plans

#18 designlogic

designlogic

Researcher

• Expired Member
  • 297 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 05:23 PM

Innovative, good recipe, appears very successful and useful.
I would say there are plenty of topiates who could make use of
this agar substitute. It would be great to see a very detailed
tek created with step by step pics.
The information is here though and apreciated.:bow:
Great work! Keep it up.

STS9 rocks :headbang: enjoy the show and the trip!

#19 Guest_valleyofmushies_*

Guest_valleyofmushies_*

Posted 23 August 2009 - 06:34 PM

i did enjoy the show and thx guys. i mean my inspiration came from this site for everything i do :) . u guys rock.....and thats the shit weilicoyote -i was wondering while at the show, was there anyone else from the site there....:) and the after party at that art place kicked ass.....i took mushies with me too and GAVE my friends some....they loved em.

and he will update this thread tomorrow night with detailed steps on the gelatin oatmeal.
and hey coyote its the Quaker quick 1-2 minute cook oatmeal from dollar store in the big container. and he used the 94 cent lemon jello mix from walmart - great value brand -cheapest i think :)

and i am not doing open air ...i have a MJ high powered fan for a carbon air filter blowing on a H.E.P.A filter (flow hood box)and then i work in front of that and turn it on high for gelatin work and it blow shit off the table some times ....so i think it works good. but my FOAF has had two contams dishes...one green mold and a light discoloration on another dish....trashed. but i got back from the show this morning and found nothing but good things. my FOAF's monotubs doing good. dishes good. and a good sized fruit off a Brazilian cake that he is cloning tomorrow.
will post pics with my details on the recipe that he made up of gelatin.

peace

#20 Guest_valleyofmushies_*

Guest_valleyofmushies_*

Posted 30 August 2009 - 03:26 PM

ok so here is some pics and a full step by step of the process ...i just did it this morning and its been 5 hours and i'm about to smoke a bowl, post this and go pour off into some dishes

ok so u need:
1 Qt. mason jar(no lid needed)
1/2 cup reg. plain oatmeal ( one may grind if preferred ) i say this because i have coffee put it thru the grinder before and found this works well too.
both work tho.

1 cup water.....i found that 1 cup water works better then 3/4 cups and doesn't harden up as quick while its still cooling off in the PC....

one Teaspoon of "great value-lemon flavored jello mix" from walmart...walmart brand and cheap.

mix the water in the empty jar.
then throw in the jello and do not mix yet...
then throw in the oatmeal and put ur hand on top of the jar....shake for 10 seconds and then put a tin foil piece on it to protect from the PC raining water inside ......PC for at least one hour....then let sit and wait at least 3 hours then pour off into dishes ...

Attached Thumbnails

• too 007.JPG
  • too 008.JPG
  • too 006.JPG
  • too 005.JPG
  • too 003.JPG

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!