AGAMA

Open Your Eyes And Realize That We Are One

• Site Administrator
  • 5,094 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:03 AM

:eusa_clap

Attached are some pics of my G2G(rye berries to popcorn), just shaken for last time today. Will combine with HPoo and verm tomorrow. May try to get straw too. Any opinions??? strain is unknown(had three different strains- don't know what I have left). Popcorn was soaked overnight then simmered for two hours. 1/4 cup Perlite in bottom of each of four quart mason jars then divide Popcorn between them. Lids each have a 1/2 inch hole drilled and stuffed with polyfill. Entire top quarter of jar covered with al foil. PC @ 15 PSI for 90 minutes. Left in PC till next day. Took a pint jar of rye berries that was fully colonized and divided it up between the four jars of Popcorn . Shook Popcorn at 40% colonized, and again today. Wish me luck!!!:meditate:
:teeth:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by TastyBeverage, 25 August 2009 - 09:45 AM.
fixed formatting

#2 junior1

junior1

Cacooey

• Expired Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:26 AM

Looking GOOD, that's some nice growth/colonization there:headbang:....Good Luck!

#3 AGAMA

AGAMA

• Site Administrator
  • 5,094 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:36 PM

Thanx, and thanx!
Originally started with 8 pint w/ms. PC'd rye, H2O, and 1/4 c perlite(in bottom) for 1 hour @15 PSI. Inoculated with sporeprint scrapings and ignored until 3 were 30 to 50% colonized. By then 3 were removed d/t contamination, one for no growth, and one for <3% growth.
One pint was used for G2G with 4 popcorn qts(shown earlier in this thread). The other two were cased with some sterilized seed starting mix. 23 days from dry innoculation to pins. WOW!
Still got to get that pcorn monotub going. One thing after another. Opinions regarding photos would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails

• P8080073.JPG
  • P8080072.JPG
  • P8080071.JPG
  • P8080066.JPG
  • P8080063.JPG
  • P8080056.JPG
  • P8080055.JPG
  • PICT0134.JPG
  • PICT0132.JPG

#4 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:51 PM

Congrats on yer pins.

This thread belongs in Fungi...hold on tight while I move it...

#5 AGAMA

AGAMA

• Site Administrator
  • 5,094 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 August 2009 - 10:02 PM

Thanx. In time I will get with the program around here. Just need a lot more practice posting first.

#6 Scratch

Scratch

and Sniff

• Free Member
  • 459 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:32 AM

Nice looking jars.

Never would have thought about adding perlite to a popcorn jar.
Appears that works very well.

Did you use miracle grow perlite?

#7 AGAMA

AGAMA

• Site Administrator
  • 5,094 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 August 2009 - 02:56 AM

Sure enough. Wonderful(?) Wallyworld.

#8 AGAMA

AGAMA

• Site Administrator
  • 5,094 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:11 AM

I only used perlite bc that's all I had. Just learned what vermiculite was when I bought my first bag a few days ago. Let the learning begin!!!

#9 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:42 AM

Anything that absorbs extra moisture will work with popcorn. Just don't add too much - dry corn won't run nearly as fast.

#10 coconut1225

coconut1225

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 204 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 08:59 PM

great grow. hard work and some patience really pays off. what was the name of the seed starter mix you used to case. did you bring it to field capacity and then pc it.

#11 AGAMA

AGAMA

• Site Administrator
  • 5,094 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 August 2009 - 10:50 PM

Seed Starter Mix by American Seed. 2 quarts. Ingredients:Sphagnum peat, horticultural vermiculite, perlite, wetting agent, and lime for pH balance. Came from The Wonderful(?) Wallyworld last fall for clearance price of $0.50 each. I took all 15!!
Yes, and Yes. 15 PSI for 1 hr in qt wm mason jars with seal inverted.
Will post update tomorrow. Am feeling sleep deprived. Gotta go for now.

#12 AGAMA

AGAMA

• Site Administrator
  • 5,094 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:28 PM

Well, continuing pics of the two rye jars. Also got my hpoo yesterday but am running out of time again today. Did get some sheep shit oven pasteurized this eve. Already has straw composted in it(stable litter). I rinsed it twice(hope that's enough), let it drain 24 Hrs, and baked in turkey roasting pan covered in foil at ~175 deg for 2.5 Hrs. Will let cool overnight and mix with pcorn spawn into monotub in AM.
Onward through the fog.Posted Image

Attached Thumbnails

• P8100089.JPG
  • P8100079.JPG
  • P8100081.JPG
  • P8100086.JPG
  • P8100084.JPG

#13 GadgetGuy

GadgetGuy

~Resident Perv~

• Expired Member
  • 3,015 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:36 PM

My recommendation is that when you spawn you make sure there is no exposed grain on the top of the substrate, make sure the last layer is completely poo and covers all the popcorn. I made the mistake of having some grains (popcorn) on the top of my substrate and it has me a littlle worried as there were some spots on it that looked bare. I hope it doesn't contam, they are all pretty white now but I can still see that little hint of yellow and it makes me cringe. I could be wrong but this is my first popcorn run.

#14 AGAMA

AGAMA

• Site Administrator
  • 5,094 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:54 PM

My first popcorn spawn AND my first monotub. Love rye berries and mason jars. That's where my experience, such as it is, lies. Several upcoming experiments planned to stretch wings, so to speak. Wish I'd found this place years ago. But things happen because they happen. Am enjoying going forward from here.

#15 AGAMA

AGAMA

• Site Administrator
  • 5,094 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:06 AM

Built my first monotub this morn. 2 qts pcorn spawn and just under 4 qts sheep shit composted with straw. We'll have to see how this works. Also took a LQ of the same strain(whatever it is) and inoculated again three qts that were already shot with a different print of a different strain that showed no signs of growth aftera couple of weeks. Was going to pitch, but decided re-inoculating this would do no harm and may just teach me something. Hpoo monotub gets made this evening.
Geez, it seems the more interesting this stuff gets, the less time I have to work on it!!!!!!! Must be some inversely proportional stuff going on here.
:amazed:Will also get more pics up this eve.
Goodday!!

#16 AGAMA

AGAMA

• Site Administrator
  • 5,094 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:43 PM

The hpoo/verm monotub is colonizing much faster than the sheep shit/straw. Got first flush from the two rye jars. No dunk. Second flush had one much larger guy in each jar, one at a time. Am taking multiple sporeprints from the first one now. Second bigun' hasn't popped it's top yet. Am also innoculating 8-pt and 4-1/2 pt w/m jars with mycowater made from the stem of the cap I'm printing. Am looking for more size and uniformity. Also made extra mycosyringes to see how long they stay useable in the fringe. the 24.4g was the first flush of the two pt rye jars. First jar has been dunked after 2nd flush. A couple inches of field capacity PC'd verm was put in the bottom of a clean pt jar and the cake placed inside with a ziplock fit over the top. Curious if this will fruit adequately. The colonizing pt of BRF is from another print from the same MS colony(gathered at an earlier date). Will continue to post developments.

Attached Thumbnails

• P8140137.JPG
  • P8140134.JPG
  • P8140127.JPG
  • P8140130.JPG
  • P8150147.JPG
  • P8130123.JPG
  • P8110110.JPG
  • P8120113.JPG
  • P8130118.JPG
  • P8100084.JPG
  • P8100085.JPG
  • P8110090.JPG
  • P8110103.JPG

• Sidestreet likes this

#17 AGAMA

AGAMA

• Site Administrator
  • 5,094 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:25 AM

When I picked this hobby back up a few weeks ago, I decided to use what I had first, then source known genetics later. Unfortunately I don't know what strain I have. Is there any reasomable way to determine this, ie appearance, growth habits, etc...? Would appreciate any imput.

#18 koldj

koldj

Wounded Healer

• Expired Member
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:50 AM

Don't bother with that. It's some kinda 'standard' cubie. Play with isolates if you wanna achieve better results. Honestly there's little difference between the usual cubes. Growth parameters can change their appearance so much that they can no longer look like the "mother" mushrooms.

I've just grown a B+ isolate and there were two kinds of veils on them - the first kind was just normally left on the stem and the other kind of veil used to rip almost like on your shrooms. Since it was an isolate they should be identical, apparently they weren't.
  • MLBjammer and AGAMA like this

#19 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:56 AM

Most cubensis looks a whole lot alike, unless it is very distinct-- something like PE or PF Albino. That is a tough call.

I would caution you about using damp vermiculite in your jar grows. I did it a couple times, seemed to encourange contams.

As far as the mycelium/water syringes, you should use those immediately, as they will degenerate.

Good luck!
  • AGAMA likes this

#20 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,598 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:23 AM

Good stuff AGAMA. Unique grows.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!