Fisana

- - - - -

Bio gas to run a absorption refrigerator

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Mule_*

Guest_Mule_*

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:51 AM

I live way off the grid, and while I have a good solar power system {600 watt of panels, eight t105 batteries, 1500 watt inverter etc}, I run into the problem that some have the power to run a refrigerator and a freezer just is to much of a waste.
The way I get around it is to use a absorption refrigerator and freezer. They run off LP gas, right now they burn a 100lb tank of gas in about four months, (depends on the temps, living tropics like I do, don't help).
What I want to do is to run them off Bio gas, we have live stock etc. to make the gas. Has any one heard of any one doing this or tried it? If so how did it go?

Any idea if it is even possible?

Some notes;

The refrigerator is a Dometic RM2551

The Freezer is a Blizzard BF10F

#2 Heisenberg

Heisenberg

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 04:22 PM

Bio gas as in methane? From what I know it's produced by anaerobically fermenting/decomposing organic material with bacteria. The county I live in may build a power plant that runs off methane that'll be produced from cow manure.
Reminds me of Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome. Bartertown ran off that stuff. Don't know anything about running in a fridge though. Might work fine with some adaptions.

#3 bugs

bugs

Are we having fun yet?

• OG VIP
  • 3,260 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 August 2009 - 05:04 PM

I think, but don't know for sure, you just have to change the orifice in the burner. A little larger for natural gas than LP.
I saw a documentary years ago about farms in India powering 'most everything using methane from manure.
Here's a link to check out:
http://www.extension...99/methane.html

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!