15 replies to this topic

#1 shedthemonkey

shedthemonkey

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 08:51 PM

Hi fellow microscope enthusiasts.

We all know that spores are just for viewing, so here are some pix for those of you who wanna see. :)

First pic is of 400x Pan Cyan (Australia)
Next 4 pix are 650x Pan Cyan (Ausies) with different lighting conditions
Sixth pic is of 400x Psy Cubensis (PE6)
Remainder is 650x same cubies with different lighting conditions.

All the strains of cubies I have inspected look exactly alike to me. I bet we humans all look exactly alike to the mushrooms! LOL

Attached Thumbnails

• psycubpe6 650x polarized.jpg
  • psycubpe6 650x darkfield.jpg
  • psycubpe6 650x darkfield2.jpg
  • psycubpe6 400x darkfield.jpg
  • pancyan650x dpolarized 04.jpg
  • pancyan650x darkfield 06.jpg
  • pancyan650x darkfield 03.jpg
  • pancyan400x 01.jpg
  • pancyan650x brightfield 05.jpg

#2 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 January 2006 - 09:14 PM

THANK YOU FOR THESE!!!!! I *CRAVE* a 'scope. CRAVE IT I SAY!

Seriously, I am very anxious for ANY scope shots you want to upload. Anything at all. I love these spore shots. Lots of detail and you can really see the difference between strains. All of these are going in my personal archives.

Mycellium, germination, contaminants, ANYTHING you wanna stick under that baby will be gobbled up enthusiastically by this 'topiate!!!!

:kewl: :kewl: :kewl:

#3 Stenciler

Stenciler

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 493 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 10:16 PM

I too would appreciate spore shots. My eyes were never too keen looking down those lenses. What apparatus are you using to photograph them?

#4 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 January 2006 - 10:27 PM

Oh yes, dude. Not to annoy but ANY pics/info about your scope and CCD setup would be incredibly appreciated as well.

I'll take just more pics of anything fungi related, too!

I would LOVE to see a section of sporulating vs. not sporulating gill tissure...I'm not requesting, by the way. Whatever you wanna post is great by me!

This may be way below your level, but here is a page about manipulating an Intel QX3 digitial 'scope for better images:

http://micro.magnet....tics/intelplay/

If you are interested, also, you can do some REALLY cool things with "light staining." There are some low heat/high output colored LEDs that would be ideal for such a thing.

No pressure...

#5 shedthemonkey

shedthemonkey

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 11:45 PM

Banzai, thanks for the link. I have tons to learn so appreciate the link. I've been looking at the info on darkfield and nomarski microscopes.

I will get the specifics on the scope but it is a darkfield, polarizing, and brightfield binocular setup with a nice digicam mounted. Has 10x eyepieces and a 10x, 25x, 40x, 65x objectives. You can switch from the three modes very quickly. The 650x seems a bit fuzzy, but it might not be set up right...looking at the trouble shooting section. I think the light source is not perfectly placed also. But at 400x it is crisp.

Next time I get some fresh mushrooms...heck, even some storebought shiitakes, I will take some pix. :) Glad you like.

I have access to a true Nomarski with up to 1000x but it's harder to use. It also has a camera.

#6 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 12:01 AM

nice shed

#7 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 12:29 AM

Monkeys gotta new toy..Those r great ausi shots , just planted some o them..I love looking at bugs n molds with mine...trippppyyyy....

#8 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,175 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 January 2006 - 10:59 AM

Nice pics, Mr. Monkey.

Here's a link by Rodger you may find interesting
http://mycotopia.net...read.php?t=2766

#9 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 24 January 2006 - 11:26 AM

Nice mr. monkey.

BTW, in that link just above, the 'historical photo' if anyone didn't figure it out at the time is the very first clamp connection that resulted in the rebirth of the Redboy.
RR

#10 shedthemonkey

shedthemonkey

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 08:01 PM

Cool. Yep, I like the Redboy clamp baby pix. Seen them before. So today I was adjusting, cleaning, and messing with the darkfield scope again and took a couple pix. I think to make this easier I will post multiple times to keep the various subject matter seperated.

First up is some random eye candy of some crystals under various lighting and magnifications. I especially like the rainbows that happen naturally in these. :D

Attached Thumbnails

• KN 650x df 11.jpg
  • KN 400x df 10.jpg
  • KN 250x df 09.jpg
  • KN 250x df 08.jpg
  • KN 100x df 07.jpg
  • KN 650x df 06.jpg
  • KN 250x df 04.jpg
  • KN 400x df 05.jpg
  • KN 250x pol 03.jpg
  • KN 100x pol 01.jpg
  • KN 100x df 02.jpg

#11 shedthemonkey

shedthemonkey

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 08:04 PM

Then there are some random wild Oregon mushroom spores from a trip last year during the fall. Here are some Brownish Orange spores.

Attached Thumbnails

• Brown Orange 650x pol.jpg
  • Brown Orange 400x pol.jpg
  • Brown Orange 250x pol.jpg
  • Brown Orange 100x pol.jpg

#12 shedthemonkey

shedthemonkey

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 08:08 PM

Here is one Buff (off white) pic and a couple of white prints from what I thought would have been Liberty caps. They obviously weren't cuz they printed white but wow did they have me fooled. :) And then some yellowish spores from some LBMs. :D

Attached Thumbnails

• LBM 400x pol.jpg
  • LBM 250x pol.jpg
  • White 650x df.jpg
  • LBM 100x pol.jpg
  • White 400x df.jpg
  • Buff color 650x df.jpg

#13 Stenciler

Stenciler

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 493 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 08:09 PM

:love:

#14 shedthemonkey

shedthemonkey

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 08:17 PM

And then lastly there are some wood loving orange little buggers that were eating an oak stump in my sister-n-laws yard. Printed purplish black. Didn't eat any of these and if I run across the old pix of the acutal mushrooms again I will post them too. I shoulda collected that one destroying angel I found on my brother's property, but didn't even want to touch the thing! LOL
Oh, and since this is the last of the bunch (and two different sets that I am lumping together just cuz they are so similar) I will let Bonzai know:
This is a reflection darkfield and/or polarizing (brightfield too) bi-ocular scope made in Japan by Meiji Techno with an Infinity 1 camera made by lumenara scientific. :) If I play with the Nomarski again soon I will get data on it. But this one is in my lab. :D

Oh...one more thing...you can really see the texture of the off-white newspaper grade paper I used for printing all these. Should have had some white typing paper but, alas, this is what I had, so the colors are all a bit funky. It's amazing I could even get pix of the light and white spores using the darkfield cuz I really couldn't see them with the other two modes. I wish I had an 800x or 1000x setting but beggars and choosers...

Attached Thumbnails

• Purple black 650x pol.jpg
  • Purple black 250x pol.jpg
  • Purple black 400x pol.jpg
  • Purple black 100x pol.jpg
  • Dark 400x pol.jpg
  • Dark 650x pol.jpg
  • Dark 250x pol.jpg
  • Dark 100x pol.jpg

#15 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 January 2006 - 09:05 PM

DUDE...so sweet. I dig the crystal shots. The rainbow pic is just beautiful.

You are already getting better at lighting and pulling out details!!!! Keep at it, man, you'll be a pro in no time!!!

I love all the different shapes and colors of spores. All those tiny little packets of life. It boggles the mind.

Totally cool, dude!!! PLEASE keep it up !!!!!:bow:

#16 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 09:09 PM

archive material to spores

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!