• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Jaspmf

Jaspmf

Watchin em' grow

• Expired Member
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:00 AM

I've noticed for quite some time now that I can hear bats.

As in I hear the high pitched squeeks they make to echo locate or whatever.

I can tell anytime a bat is within maybe 30 yards?

I noticed tonight while watching the meteor shower on my roof. I'd hear a bat a few seconds before it'd wizz by my head. There were a few of the buggers nearby...heard em making that noise periodically throughout.

I can also hear that really really high pitched sound a cathode tube television set makes...

So anytime a tv is on, even if it's just black screen...I hear the high pitched noise from rooms away.

Am I some sort of freak? Anybody else have this goin on? I've asked others if they hear it and it seems like not many people do.

:amazed:

#2 Irishlion

Irishlion

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:03 AM

I've noticed for quite some time now that I can hear bats.

As in I hear the high pitched squeeks they make to echo locate or whatever.

I can tell anytime a bat is within maybe 30 yards?

I noticed tonight while watching the meteor shower on my roof. I'd hear a bat a few seconds before it'd wizz by my head. There were a few of the buggers nearby...heard em making that noise periodically throughout.

I can also hear that really really high pitched sound a cathode tube television set makes...

So anytime a tv is on, even if it's just black screen...I hear the high pitched noise from rooms away.

Am I some sort of freak? Anybody else have this goin on? I've asked others if they hear it and it seems like not many people do.

:amazed:

yeah I can hear their high pitched squeeks as well

#3 Jaspmf

Jaspmf

Watchin em' grow

• Expired Member
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:08 AM

K good, so there's a descent chance I'm not a freak (@ hearing)

#4 trips6928

trips6928

Mycotrips

• Free Member
  • 237 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:11 AM

I hear those high pitch noises also. Ever hear a cellphone wall charger from another room on the other side of the house? When I visit my Dad, I usually wake him up late at night to make him unplug his charger so I can sleep.

#5 Irishlion

Irishlion

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:27 AM

I hear those high pitch noises also. Ever hear a cellphone wall charger from another room on the other side of the house? When I visit my Dad, I usually wake him up late at night to make him unplug his charger so I can sleep.

YEP or that damned hi pitched sound that comes from the older TV's. I HATE THAT. Or the sound from your monitor and shit

#6 jbburn

jbburn

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 05:39 AM

The tv's the worst on a late night. I'm surprised I haven't busted the damn thing. But yeah--on the occasion I'm around bats I will hear squeaks. It's been maybe a year or two since I've been around them, so I'm wondering if I'd be able to hear them anymore with the amount of loud music I'm inundated with.

#7 Beast

Beast

That's Mr. Beast to you..

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:22 PM

I tripped the fuck out of a friend once, by telling him I had magical powers that allowed me to tell if a tv is on without even being in the room. He shut his door, and then proceeded to switch his tv on and off over and over, and I'd shout "ON" "OFF" "STILL OFF" "ON" lol

He was soo spooked. I had to explain that some people have hearing in a range others don't - he still thought I was a weirdo. You shoulda seen his face when he came out of his room after the 'test', you know in X-men when a mutant first shows their 'power' and a family member freaks out, ya it was like that...

#8 bugs

bugs

Are we having fun yet?

• OG VIP
  • 3,260 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:30 PM

Yup, I can still hear the little buggers.

#9 Ras Asad

Ras Asad

Amor vincit omnia

• Expired Member
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:31 PM

yea i hear them every night to.. ( but i am a freak)
and so are you, so stop foolin yerself bro. :lol: :love:

#10 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 01:19 PM

ThisisBatCountry.png

#11 seedlessstinky1

seedlessstinky1

Stinks

• Expired Member
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 02:01 PM

:rasta:Suppose im a freak. I not only hear the bats, i use their shit. So yeah i guess im bit of a freak.

#12 Raziel

Raziel

We will ... live forever

• Expired Member
  • 2,375 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 August 2009 - 02:16 PM

Some Children and young adults can hear things like high-pitched echolocation calls of bats and high pitched frequencies form TV's becuase they are young and their hearing is at it's peak but as you get order your hearing degrades.

#13 plantman21

plantman21

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 881 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 02:31 PM

I can hear them some times. Mostly when they start fighting midair.
Plantman

#14 Shroomette

Shroomette

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 02:57 PM

Yes, I can hear bats. Irishlion just had to chase one down last night because in came in through our bedroom window and he took it out side and let it go. :lol: It definitely gave Irishlion a run for his money lmao

#15 Jaspmf

Jaspmf

Watchin em' grow

• Expired Member
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:16 PM

I tripped the fuck out of a friend once, by telling him I had magical powers that allowed me to tell if a tv is on without even being in the room. He shut his door, and then proceeded to switch his tv on and off over and over, and I'd shout "ON" "OFF" "STILL OFF" "ON" lol

He was soo spooked. I had to explain that some people have hearing in a range others don't - he still thought I was a weirdo. You shoulda seen his face when he came out of his room after the 'test', you know in X-men when a mutant first shows their 'power' and a family member freaks out, ya it was like that...

Haha great story beastmaster.
I should try that on somebody sometime. :D

ThisisBatCountry.png

I knew somebody would make reference to Fear and Loathing!
Nice

yea i hear them every night to.. ( but i am a freak)
and so are you, so stop foolin yerself bro.

Aren't we all my friend, aren't we all.

#16 Ras Asad

Ras Asad

Amor vincit omnia

• Expired Member
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:22 PM

:lol: indeed. :love:

#17 mydarling

mydarling

(actual mycologist)

• Expired Member
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 10:18 PM

i can hear the tv buzzing, for sure. it always drives me crazy when i visit home and my parents leave the tv on cause they can't hear that it's still on! aagghh

#18 suckerfree

suckerfree

GATE KEEPER

• OG VIP
  • 3,032 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 August 2009 - 10:57 PM

something i found...

Not All Bats Echolocate
About 70% of all bat species worldwide have this ability.

Most bat echolocation occurs beyond the range of human hearing. Humans can hear from 20 Hz to 15-20 kHz depending on age. Bat calls can range from 9 kHz to to 200 kHz.

Some bat sounds humans can hear. The squeaks and squawks that bats make in their roosts or which occur between females and their pups can be detected by human ears, but these noises aren't considered to be echolocation sounds.

#19 Jaspmf

Jaspmf

Watchin em' grow

• Expired Member
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:52 PM

Some bat sounds humans can hear. The squeaks and squawks that bats make in their roosts or which occur between females and their pups can be detected by human ears, but these noises aren't considered to be echolocation sounds.

I doubt what I'm hearing is them talking with pups though...as I hear it when they're zipping around nearby

Interesting stuff TV

#20 Brakiska

Brakiska

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 238 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 12:03 AM

i can hear the tv buzzing, for sure. it always drives me crazy when i visit home and my parents leave the tv on cause they can't hear that it's still on! aagghh

whoa!

I aint alone!!

thank youuuuuu

I swear people give me the weird look when I either ask them to shut down the TV, especially those olt cathodic TV, telling them I can hear it even on mute, thje BBZZZEEEET' high-pitched sound

when they ask for a proof I tell them to shut it down as many times they want, either no volume or on mute
me being in another room

coming back with the correct result (which never failed) clears it out

yeh, boring and mom does the same
explained to her and now she turns it off when Im visiting and actually not watching it
before hand she would let it on all evening, not believing it was giving me headache
she thought it was because I believe TV is a bad influence on her life overall~~

oh well, glad to hear that from someone else, hooray

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!