Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

homestead guns - the .22LR

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

Poll: do you own a .22 ?

do you own a .22 ?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 rocketman

rocketman

Mycotopiate

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,602 posts

Donator

Posted 14 August 2009 - 11:28 AM

cool! looked bigger for some reason. My father is a die hard revolver user and collector. He has several colt .45s as well as 45acp revolvers with the clips.

#22 firerat

firerat

Why am I so thirsty....

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,033 posts

Donator

i like rugers.
;)

Yeah Ruger's old style and newer revolvers are second to none.
Their semi-autos aren't quite as nice, but not too shaby. (when they actually avoid a factory recall :lol: )
I don't like any of their rifles though.

#23 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

This is a cool little .22 I want to pick up.
Henry AR-7 survival rifle. The whole thing breaks apart and fits in the butt-stock. Has a 10 rnd mag as well. Once in the butt-stock, it can float in water.

those are sweet.
my buddy has a .22 'hitman' gun,
folds down and fits in a briefcase.

#24 catdaddy

catdaddy

herding kittens

• Expired Member
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 11:52 AM

I've had an AR7 (or more precisely my best friend did and I borrowed it a few times) when they were Charter Arms- the new ones are MUCH more reliable, so they say...

That Ruger pistol of yours looks like the old Buntline, hip- a fine sidearm.

#25 killaweed

killaweed

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 150 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:20 PM

:headbang:Just thought I would add a pic of my lil baby. and you just have to love the price of 22 ammo

Attached Thumbnails

• 0604091723.jpg

#26 Beast

Beast

That's Mr. Beast to you..

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:25 PM

I love my 10-22, its the first firearm I ever bought, and within days of turning 18. I've customized it so much that its not even recognizable as a 10-22 anymore, but the accuracy has improved drastically (its prettier too).

I'd love to get myself a ruger mkII or mkIII.

#27 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:29 PM

watch those mk.III=
hair trigger
wifey almost blew my brains out

#28 Beast

Beast

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:40 PM

proper handling of a firearm shouldn't result in almost blown off heads, despite the hairiness of the trigger.... just sayin...

WLqfMVBoufg
  • UnlearnEverything likes this

#29 firerat

firerat

Why am I so thirsty....

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,033 posts

Donator

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:49 PM

:lol:

#30 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,904 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:50 PM

You need to check out an AR-5 Hip they have a barrel that you can exchange with a .410 shotgun barrel for home defense also :) AR-7s are very nice also, as catdaddy mentioned, they have a kit that makes them look like a m16 also that is completely rust resistant.

#31 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,307 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2009 - 03:25 PM

A have a Remington .22/.410 over and under break action rifle/shotgun. It's a great varmint gun. The only thing I have against it is it's only a single shot. But if you miss with the .22 just a flick of a switch and you have a .410 birdshot available.

For the .410 I use #4 3" Magnums. I get better distance for birds and less pellets in the breast.

#32 catdaddy

catdaddy

herding kittens

• Expired Member
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 06:04 PM

I love the old Springfield Armory M6 Scout breakdown over/unders- discussed here before- .410 and your choice of 22, 22 Hornet, or .222. as I recall. Folds down to 9 1/2".

I'm working on a cane-gun now. It is a modified Marlin tube-fed .22 with a cane handle, wrapped with glass and stained like a wooden cane.

As near as I can understand the law, as long as the trigger and loading port is visible it is still a gun and not a "disguised weapon" and as a permit holder I can carry one unconcealed.

13 shots, CCI stingers.

#33 UnlearnEverything

UnlearnEverything

I'd rather be dreaming!

• Free Member
  • 245 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:10 PM

one of the most useful,
the ruger 10-22 has many options,
you can add a scope, sling,
folding stock, even 30 round clips.
lightweight too.
i prefer stainless steel finish, no rust problems.

I had a gorgeous Ruger 10-22. The dealer let me look through his stock and I picked one out that had beautiful grain. I had a nice scope on it, and a 50 round Ram-line clip! Only prob, there was too much spring load in the after-market clip, and every once in a while a shell would jam. Other than that, awesome gun. I sold it many years ago... :(

I want another one now!

#34 Beast

Beast

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:27 PM

After market 10-22, high-capacity magazines are a great example of how too much of a good thing is often a bad philosophy to implement. Every after market high-cap mag for that rifle, that I've seen, has plastic catches, and a really strong spring, they wear out fast, and even when new, rarely line the round up with the chamber resulting in plenty of frustrating misfeeds.

I've fallen for the trap more than once, thinking maybe these guys got it right, but even these new ones that I got from a friend do the same.

Considering the amount of space the 25 round magazines take up, you could fit five stock 10rounders in the same amount of pocket space, so again I fail to see the utility.

A much better idea that I've found is a little squarish grommet thing that allows you to glue two of the stock 10round magazines back to back.

#35 UnlearnEverything

UnlearnEverything

I'd rather be dreaming!

• Free Member
  • 245 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:40 PM

After market 10-22, high-capacity magazines are a great example of how too much of a good thing is often a bad philosophy to implement. Every after market high-cap mag for that rifle, that I've seen, has plastic catches, and a really strong spring, they wear out fast, and even when new, rarely line the round up with the chamber resulting in plenty of frustrating misfeeds.

I've fallen for the trap more than once, thinking maybe these guys got it right, but even these new ones that I got from a friend do the same.

Considering the amount of space the 25 round magazines take up, you could fit five stock 10rounders in the same amount of pocket space, so again I fail to see the utility.

A much better idea that I've found is a little squarish grommet thing that allows you to glue two of the stock 10round magazines back to back.

Yah, I feel for the idealistic thinking! The stock magazines NEVER had any issues. I can't recall a single 50-round magazine emptying without a few jams.

Great idea with the grommet. Is this aftermarket, or home made?

#36 claykrys

claykrys

Still at it

• Expired Member
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 08:06 PM

I have a couple .22 rifles. I have a bolt action that I learned to shoot with that I will teach my kids to shoot with and a Rem semi automatic. I recently purchased a .17 hmr and now wish I had bought a .22 mag instead. I like the 17 but .22 and .22 mag will always be cheaper to shoot and easier to find ammo for.

#37 Beast

Beast

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 08:09 PM

Aftermarket, but wouldn't be hard to make, really just a bunch of epoxy should do the trick, though the grommet helps make it secure, and you don't need as much epoxy that way.

5 bucks from brownells, + they have a 4-way one too, but that seems kinda awkward to me (+ at 12.95, why not just get two 2way ones?).

#38 UnlearnEverything

UnlearnEverything

I'd rather be dreaming!

• Free Member
  • 245 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:11 PM

Aftermarket, but wouldn't be hard to make, really just a bunch of epoxy should do the trick, though the grommet helps make it secure, and you don't need as much epoxy that way.

5 bucks from brownells, + they have a 4-way one too, but that seems kinda awkward to me (+ at 12.95, why not just get two 2way ones?).

I'm going to pick up another .22 for plinking soon. So much fun blasting cans, and the ammo is affordable. As soon as I buy another, I'm going to try making a couple 2 way 10-rounds like you recommended.

Off topic.. here's a pic of a sweet double action Derringer my pops gave me. It's a .38 special, and packs a punch for it's size!

Attached Thumbnails

• CIMG2065.jpg
  • CIMG2063.jpg

#39 Phx

Phx

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 457 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 12:27 AM

I have 2 .22 rifles...but I must admit...I want THESE 2! Anyone know where to buy these? I would buy them tomarrow....aslong as I have enough cash on hand.

.22 derringer

bought one of these several years ago,
5 shots, hollow point .22 LR
and i can fit it inside my wallet...
:reb:

This is a cool little .22 I want to pick up.
Henry AR-7 survival rifle. The whole thing breaks apart and fits in the butt-stock. Has a 10 rnd mag as well. Once in the butt-stock, it can float in water.

#40 wendal

wendal

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 431 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 09:17 AM

the ruger mark III makes a good side-arm.

That's the exact ruger I own.

Great sidearm, indeed! :thumbup:

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!