Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

homestead guns - the .22LR

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

Poll: do you own a .22 ?

do you own a .22 ?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 catdaddy

catdaddy

herding kittens

• Expired Member
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 10:58 AM

I have 2 .22 rifles...but I must admit...I want THESE 2! Anyone know where to buy these? I would buy them tomarrow....aslong as I have enough cash on hand.

If I'm not mistaken, the derringer is from American Derringer (several styles available in .22)

http://www.amderringer.com/first.html

and the AR-7 is of course from Henry Repeating Arms.

http://www.henryrepeating.com/

Both have dealer locators- but most any firearms shop can get them for you.

Good choices.

In derringers, I like a larger caliber, like a 45/.410....

That shot really has to count when two is all you got.

#42 rocketman

rocketman

Mycotopiate

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,602 posts

Donator

Posted 15 August 2009 - 12:01 PM

The .22 is the most useful caliber weapon to have. It can kill small game without making a mess. It can be used for self defense very effectively. If I remember correctly the .22lr is responsible for more deaths than any other caliber.

They are ime the most accurate caliber in rifles and they are very cheap compared to centerfire cartridges.

I love shooting my little .22 still :)

Attached Thumbnails

• remington .22 pump.jpg

#43 Beast

Beast

That's Mr. Beast to you..

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 12:32 PM

If I remember correctly the .22lr is responsible for more deaths than any other caliber.

Deaths of squirrels maybe... .22lr has never been used as a combat round, the numbers of deaths in modern and semi-modern warfare to firearms totally outweighs that statement.

as long as I'm disagreeing with you, rm:

The .22 is the most useful caliber weapon to have.

a 12 gauge shotgun is pretty versatile in the types of rounds that it can shoot, the various sizes of shot, slugs, nonlethal rounds, etc

though I do agree that the affordability of .22lr ammo surpasses all but the affordability of shotgun ammo ;)

just sayin :bow:

Oh and Catdaddy is mistaken: That 'derringer' is made by North American Arms (if you enlarge the pic you can see the text/caption).

#44 catdaddy

catdaddy

herding kittens

• Expired Member
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 02:03 PM

Thanks BM- I can't see anything that small anymore...

Part of being ancient.

That means I need to go see what they have to offer! :teeth:

#45 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 02:46 PM

This is a cool little .22 I want to pick up.
Henry AR-7 survival rifle. The whole thing breaks apart and fits in the butt-stock. Has a 10 rnd mag as well. Once in the butt-stock, it can float in water.

I had that gun, but with a plastic stock. Sumbitch jammed quite a bit.

http://www.impactgun...9835002006.html

I also had Remmington's Nylon series .22 that was a pretty good gun as well.

#46 rocketman

rocketman

Mycotopiate

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,602 posts

Donator

Posted 15 August 2009 - 04:42 PM

Deaths of squirrels maybe... .22lr has never been used as a combat round, the numbers of deaths in modern and semi-modern warfare to firearms totally outweighs that statement.

as long as I'm disagreeing with you, rm:

a 12 gauge shotgun is pretty versatile in the types of rounds that it can shoot, the various sizes of shot, slugs, nonlethal rounds, etc

though I do agree that the affordability of .22lr ammo surpasses all but the affordability of shotgun ammo ;)

just sayin :bow:

Oh and Catdaddy is mistaken: That 'derringer' is made by North American Arms (if you enlarge the pic you can see the text/caption).

I would bet you your new ride the .22lr has killed more people in non combat scenarios than any other caliber, which is what I thought we were talking about, non combat or survival situations.

As far a versatility goes, caliber rifle vs. gauge in a shotgun are 2 different animals. But using similar logic we can then say a .223 aka 5.56 is in fact a .22 caliber and we can add the kills from the .223 to the .22 section. Yeah its stretching it out a bit so I wont stand by that.

If you were lost on a mountain and had to kill your own food, what would you rather have, a .22lr or say a 40 cal. glock or 12 gauge benelli with bird or buck shot? Its a matter of preference, but all in all the .22 can kill at greater distances than say a 12 gauge with bird shot. Shooting small game up close with a 12 gauge makes for a waste of food. The 12 gauge would be better for protection by far, and shooting birds or other moving targets at close range it would excel. Other than that I cant think of another instance, maybe you can.

Its also pretty relative to the shooters skill level but you can kill most animals within a 1 mile radius with a .22 with a very good shot.

I get what youre saying, but lets compare apples to apples.

#47 catdaddy

catdaddy

herding kittens

• Expired Member
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:08 PM

That's why you need both a shotgun AND a rifle!

#48 greenie

greenie

Stonerd

• Expired Member
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:55 PM

the 22 revolver by north american is a 22 MAGNUM, a very pissed off 22 round and a bit pricier. you need to have that barrel in their guts when you pull the trigger too... or ur gonna miss. a great gun though! cheap too and LOUD

#49 Sideshow

Sideshow

Screaming Meatball

• Expired Member
  • 397 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:12 PM

I have become a big fan of convesion kits recently. Recently purchased a new kit for my 9mm and I'm totally hooked. I't great because you can practice for cheap with your main defensive sidearm - Just switch out the slide and magazine and it's ready to go. Next I want to buy a kit for the ar-15/m-4 family. Spike's tactical is the preffered unit over a Ceiner kit, IMO.

I usually buy ammunition over the net for convenience and price; but often I will buy .22's locally because they are so inexpensive and the selection is usually better in store than online. As with all firearms, and particularly .22, I try as many brands, weights and velocities of ammo I can get my hands on and then stick with a few that work the best.

#50 chimp

chimp

Space Lord Modulator

• Expired Member
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:51 PM

My grandfather left my mother a .22 revolver in his will and I now have it..I can't make out the name and haven't done any research..I can see that it was made in Germany and it is obviously pretty old since he died in the 50's

There is an RG on the right side of the grip. Maybe I should try and find out the maker of the gun. I edited out the ID number on the bottom..there's no scratch on it.

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture 002.jpg

#51 chimp

chimp

Space Lord Modulator

• Expired Member
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 07:09 PM

Edit: it is a ROHM Model 66 .22 caliber 6 shot revolver.

#52 M&M420

M&M420

Eternity Intern

• Validating
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 07:42 PM

Indeed the .22 LR is a great gun.It has come in handy quite few times.Although I must say I love the 12 gauge.I just bought it about a month ago and love it.

Attached Thumbnails

• nadcdaace.jpg

#53 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 11:08 PM

proper handling of a firearm shouldn't result in almost blown off heads, despite the hairiness of the trigger.... just sayin...

WLqfMVBoufg

well, in theory
you're absolutely correct.

hilarious video btw but
wifey'd cut my dick off
and throw it to the hogs
if i did that shit.

in her 'defense'
the time she fired a round
about an inch from my head
was the very first time
she'd ever touched a loaded gun.

and it is was a HAIR-TRIGGER,
ain't bullshittin' bout that none.

#54 Heisenberg

Heisenberg

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:11 PM

I got a pair of double deuce autoloader rifles. The first is a Marlin 795 mag fed with a laser. The other is a Western Field tube fed made back in the '60's. I shot a mouse with the Marlin in my room with a shotshell. The little fucker kept darting around like he was taunting me til I popped a cap in his ass.

#55 masterplain88

masterplain88

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 809 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 10:22 PM

so i got one of those cheap savage 22. lr on a trade. funn for country shooting. i havent shot 22 in years latly just been dear hunting with the 12ga magnum remengiton shot gun. it been afew years since i have baught 22, round at was wounder were the cheap prices are for buying bulk i found one but it diddnt seem so cheap maybe prices went way up sence i remember. i have checked cheaper than dirt there price is ok i guess for buying boxes but im thinkin of a a case of shells.
any other sites to look at would be nice.

thanks,
masterplain88

#56 rocketman

rocketman

Mycotopiate

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,602 posts

Donator

Posted 12 September 2009 - 11:43 PM

You can buy cans or bricks of CCI Stingers in .22lr for around 80 bucks. I think the stingers are by far the best .22lr cartridge, and the Yellow Jackets from Remington a good bit back in 2nd place.

Stinger HP 32gr. 1640 FPS from muzzle so they will pretty much obliterate any attacking hordes of tin cans. There are many good brands of .22 lr you can get pretty cheap.

The problem now is finding ANY cheap ammo thats any good. Most of the cheaper priced sites are sold out.

70 plus shipping at amazon from cabelas.

http://www.amazon.co...52815099&sr=8-2
expensive, but comes with a dry ammo storage case.

Wallyworld is by far the best for .22lr prices, and they sell decent cartridges.

I recommend you getting a couple of boxes of 50 or so to see which ones your gun likes best. Once you figure it out you should buy a brick or a case.

#57 masterplain88

masterplain88

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 809 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 11:47 PM

yes sounds good havnt used 22 in years. so im deff checking out a couple packs of diffrent brand.

#58 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,360 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 September 2009 - 11:52 PM

www.shotgunnews.com

have a look here. if you're into guns there's something here for you

#59 dreadydavo

dreadydavo

Sick of being "That Guy!"

• Free Member
  • 191 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 12:29 AM

:lol: i hate when them dang cans attack, especially in hordes.

#60 Sideshow

Sideshow

Screaming Meatball

• Expired Member
  • 397 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 03:28 AM

I recommend you getting a couple of boxes of 50 or so to see which ones your gun likes best. Once you figure it out you should buy a brick or a case.

Good advice here. Firearms can be picky when it comes to ammo, especially .22's. Try as many brands and weights as you can to find the 2 or three kinds that group the best. Then, buy a good supply of those brands, prefferably from the same lot of ammunition. Like Rocketman, I think the CCI brand is a good place to start.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!