Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

homestead guns - the .22LR

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

Poll: do you own a .22 ?

do you own a .22 ?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 rocketman

rocketman

Mycotopiate

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,602 posts

Donator

Posted 04 December 2009 - 03:47 PM

If the US armed forces used a ball heavier than 50-60 grains I think the round would be much more effective in .223. Still quite a ways off from a 7.62 in killing power. I also agree with Lee Ermy that the newer 9mm berettas etc. and the matching ammo is a joke compared to some of the options available, hell man its not as good as the 1911 it replaced as far as stoppability. How do they figure a 9mm is as good as a .45 center mass? It would be laughable if it werent my country.

#122 firerat

firerat

Why am I so thirsty....

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,033 posts

Donator

Posted 04 December 2009 - 04:13 PM

Unfortunately, in deciding what the military will use in terms of calibre has little to do with the stopping power and more to do with who is the lowest bidder who can meet the milspecs.

Personally, I prefer a 9mm over a .45 for a few reasons. One being higher mag capacity. Two being easier follow up shots due to lighter recoil. But thats just a personal preference.

YMMV

I don't want to start a 9mm vs. .45 ACP pissing match.

#123 Beast

Beast

That's Mr. Beast to you..

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 04:24 PM

Center mass is center mass, and as RM said earlier in this thread .22lr is the deadliest round around. Sure the .45 is 2x heavier than a 9mm but you get 2x more bullets in the mag with the 9mm, and easier followup/less flinch. The beretta is a better design, mechanically, as well, less malfunctions, etc.

In the military, weapon choice is more about efficiency, and being able to be handled by a wide range of body sizes, and nothing to do with machismo. Civilians carry 'big' ammo, military carries what works cheapest while maintaining effectiveness/efficiency and leaves the egos behind in the barracks.

:offtopic:firerat is right though, this is a .22lr thread, not a complain-about-bureaucratization-of-the-military nor is it a 9mm vs .45 thread lets keep our heads in the game :lol:

#124 rocketman

rocketman

Mycotopiate

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,602 posts

Donator

Posted 04 December 2009 - 04:49 PM

Yeah Beast knock it off :lol:

edited to say: you know 2 shots from a 9mm are no more or less deadly than a .45 acp. Its all in the shooters hands so to speak. 3x maybe, but again thats wasting brass.

To get back on track here I am going to buy a 10/22 as a gift for a friend this xmas. I remember just a couple of years ago you could get one well under $200, now the minimum is like $250 and to accessorize it goes way up from there.

#125 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 06:26 PM

my thinking is
two guns are better than one,
even one with a conversion kit.
and for $1500
i can buy a bunch of guns.

#126 Sideshow

Sideshow

Screaming Meatball

• Expired Member
  • 397 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 07:23 PM

i've heard good reports on the ar15 conversion kits
but i'm a poor man
and $1500+ guns
are out of the question.
besides
the bullet is what hits the target,
and $1500 guns fire the same bullets
as cheap guns do.

I just want to say -
An AR-15 doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg.
You can pick up an AR Lower receiver from the gunshop - that's the part you need a background check to buy. It's about the size of a handgun and costs about $100. I found a deal locally for $80 each.
[ATTACH]151658[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]151657[/ATTACH]

And buy everything else on the Internets. You will need an upper receiver, buttstock and lower parts kit. Many vendors sell these for +/- $550.00.
Here's an example for $485, I've bought from them before, and would recommend their kits for the budget minded.

http://www.model1sal...FTOKEN=71644729

That brings the total cost to maybe $600.00, of what would otherwise be a $1500 rifle. The quality is just as good as what you would get from S&W, Bushmaster, DPMS, etc. It takes all of an hour to assemble.

#127 Beast

Beast

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:11 PM

you know 2 shots from a 9mm are no more or less deadly than a .45 acp. Its all in the shooters hands so to speak. 3x maybe, but again thats wasting brass.

A single shot from a 9mm is just as deadly as a single shot from a .45acp. Especially if you're hitting center mass, as you stated.

If you're using hollow points, 9mm is even more efficient as some hollow points have better expansion/energy transmission than the same hollow point chambered in .45acp. But that's getting into a different discussion, that of stopping power. But if you hit center mass, then you don't have to really worry about whether its 9mm or .45 or .357sig (a very badass round) or whatever...

#128 growurown

growurown

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 209 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:59 PM

have you guys seen the new .50 coversion kit for the ar? I read a good review about it.

There all two pricey for me to.

I have a ruger 10/22. bought it used for 150 bucks. They had a marlin tube fed with a rail for a hundred but it had been through the works. I like the rugers better.

The bananna mags are nice but buy the ones with the metal lips and some cheaper shells might not feed. The factory rotary mag has yet to screw up on me. Im prolly gonna pick up some more of them. They were on cabelas site like for 14 bucks.

#129 growurown

growurown

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 209 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 12:08 AM

[quote name='euid']

Turn it into a high powered crossbow, for example:

http://tac15.com/

It would be damn near silent so as to not alurt any body. so lets say shtf then youdont have to worry about ppl trying to steal your deer.
Now lets say it hasnt yet. Harder for ppl hear you road hunting at night. NO muzzle flash

#130 Beast

Beast

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 01:50 AM

have you guys seen the new .50 coversion kit for the ar? I read a good review about it.

got a link?

#131 growurown

growurown

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 209 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 06:22 PM

http://www.50bmg.net/

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!