Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Tomatoes not producing a lot of fruits...

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 doobydoobydoo

doobydoobydoo

Lifestyles Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:06 PM

I've got some heirloom tomato plants growing this year. "Trophy" strain it's called. An indeterminate variety. So far I've got very nice big huge plants, 6+ feet tall in cages well staked up, but I am getting few flowers and fruits.

I've fertilized it with basic fertilizer balanced NPK nutes a few times already.

Someone mentioned their plants are doing the same. Lots of vegetative growth and few fruits.

Anyone else getting similar issues?

Should I give it a shot of some heavy PK nutes and see if it packs on fruits then?

#2 prism

prism

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 5,943 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:12 PM

Yeah Doobs,

We are having the same issues in my area. Lots of Vegative growth and few flowers. I think it is all the rain and Mild temps. Have you had a mild wet summer?

#3 RestartLater

RestartLater

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 429 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:14 PM

We cut the tops out of ours and sent all the growth to flowering *hope it works*

RestartLater

#4 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:15 PM

had to do that here. the extended and cold spring really upset mine. they're doing great now. sunsugar and roma.

:heart:

#5 prism

prism

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 5,943 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:18 PM

I have 5-6 diff plants and I have about that many tommatoes. Really sad... Maybe I will try the topping...

Great thread BTW

#6 wildburr

wildburr

Wildest of Burrs

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,657 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:58 PM

My tomatoes this year are a total bust. One of my wifes patients gave us a couple of those "topsy turvy" planters you see on TV ane we decided to try them. Well I can Honestly say they dont work very well. I usually only grow two plants every year any way because of limited space and get a decent amount for family consumption. These in the upside down planters barely have gotten to be a foot and a half and only have 6 fruits each and there still small. I'll never use these damn things again.

At least my cucumbers and peppers are kicking ass this year

#7 -=Zeus=-

-=Zeus=-

-= In The Flow =-

• OG VIP
  • 2,019 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:25 PM

I have about 16 Rutgers plants that are loaded with fruit...but still kind of small. Just beginning to get a few ripe ones. Picked my first heirloom pink brandywine yesterday, a short , squat , pink fatty!

#8 doobydoobydoo

doobydoobydoo

Lifestyles Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:11 PM

2 plants seem to by dying already on me.. thats 2 of three... not sure what's wrong... just not looking healthy anymore.. they went to near 7 ft tall and didn't make many fruits... I picked a few ripe ones today, but nothing all that major.. maybe about 8 or so from 3 plants.... not impresseive this year... will have to try again next year.. maybe do up 6 plants next year and try a different strain. This was an heirloom varierty, indeterminate... was expecting fruits for months, but got lil so far... sad to say :( boo

on a side note: basil is doing amazingly well.... picked it near 5 times alreadya and still going strong.... basil up the wazzle ding a ling :) woot.

#9 420mellon

420mellon

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:58 PM

I AM in england am you are in amerika??
well my plants are doing fiine with a kapital F...tha key with any plant is not too nuke it too fuck with loadsa khemikills..tha plants won't lyke thaat..just rich compost...water when neaded...LOTSA LOVE...very important...oh and once you've got ENOUGH growth..just keap plucking out tha lil side shoots...oh and top each branch..THEN tha plant will put more energy into fruit formation and stem strengthening...oh and of KOurse plenty of good sun...i am in uk and theres not much a thaat...but different varietys different results...hope this helps...yet you are all competent growers who know this anywai...peace out...

#10 claykrys

claykrys

Still at it

• Expired Member
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 04:53 PM

My grandmother used to say if you take a broomstick and rough them up, they will start to produce. Don't know why but she swore by it.

#11 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:09 PM

My grandmother used to say if you take a broomstick and rough them up, they will start to produce. Don't know why but she swore by it.

i think she meant the kids doing yard work.. :eusa_shif

#12 usagolden

usagolden

A Tin Can Banana

• OG VIP
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:40 PM

my toms are slacking as well
it has been too cold
recently things have started to kick it in gear
got my first tom today
a purple heirloom
my brandywine had one on the vine for months
finally rotted
had to take it off

#13 Ben Dover

Ben Dover

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 01:05 PM

How much direct sunlight does it get?

Nitrogen can burn the flowers off of them but you said they are not even budding much so that might not be the problem.

#14 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 02:40 PM

too much N will give lush dark green growth
that bears very little yield.
stop giving N, flush soil with pure water
to remove accumulated mineral salts.

#15 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 02:59 PM

btw
you might try a foliar feeding using kelp,
diluted and sprayed on surfaces
can improve flowering.

#16 mydarling

mydarling

(actual mycologist)

• Expired Member
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 03:24 PM

i think she meant the kids doing yard work.. :eusa_shif

LMAO :lol:

#17 charvo

charvo

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 11:56 PM

jee sry everyone. I never like hearing about a poor crop. Not to rub it in but my tomatoes did well, and i've had to learn how to preserve by canning. I have started make salsa, and spagetti sauce, and stewed whole romma's. I thought about doing some paste, but havn't got to it yet. Just today i picked another half bussel. I grew 3 big geef's and 1 romma 1 cherry tomateo plant. I'd post some picks, but this is my first post here and havn't even figured out how to post pics yet. I dont have many good pic of the plants, but i have a few of the harvests.

There was some talk about nitrogen in the soil. My thought's are similar, thou to much nitrogen can burn the plants. Phospshorus may be the cause for lack of fruits. You almost cant have enough nitrogen, but when you do your plants will surly die. You'd have to shock the plant with fertilizer to get the N.P.K that far out of wack. I bought a soil test from cynmar it was like 25 dollars. Even after this years crop the N.P.K looks great. It a nice tool to have when preparing soil for your garden.

#18 Mermaidia

Mermaidia

Sober Sister

• Expired Member
  • 4,173 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 08:22 AM

My tomatoes this year are a total bust. One of my wifes patients gave us a couple of those "topsy turvy" planters you see on TV ane we decided to try them. Well I can Honestly say they dont work very well. I usually only grow two plants every year any way because of limited space and get a decent amount for family consumption. These in the upside down planters barely have gotten to be a foot and a half and only have 6 fruits each and there still small. I'll never use these damn things again.

At least my cucumbers and peppers are kicking ass this year

We had a family member use those upside down planters and it worked beautifully.

I think the weather has a lot to do with it.

#19 weeeeeee

weeeeeee

humanoid

• Expired Member
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 08:40 AM

yes it seems this year that most people didnt do to well with tomatoes all of my family aside from myself had terrible luck with them while mine came out beautifully... our cucumbers and zuchinis were also humongous this year almost cartoonish while the seeds stayed teh same size it was a strange year for gardening around here

#20 BotanyPhD

BotanyPhD

Ska Ska

• Expired Member
  • 307 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 09:32 AM

Have you checked your soil pH? Some of my heirlooms are a bit finicky sometimes with production vs pH they like a 6.0-6.8. Make sure you fertilize the recommended doses on the product label. I made the mistake way back when with the more is good school of thought. I had some really nice thick strong plants but they would never develop blooms they spent their energy in growing a nice pretty plant.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!