#201 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,372 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 June 2016 - 03:44 PM

Ok, so I just got done racking my beer to the secondary fermenter.
racking off.jpg dry hopping.jpg

I'm using a grow tent to ferment in, as it allows me to easily keep the almost constant daylight this time of year off of my beer.
  • CatsAndBats likes this

#202 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 8,842 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:31 AM

Wow, I followed your link to here.  Juth, lookin' good old man. 

Yes, you have to get set up to keg.   The time you'll save can be invested in fishing and drinking.   Plus, you will love hopping in the kegs.

Using a carboy for a primary must be a bit of a pain.   When I was brewing, I had use of a ten gallon crock.  It worked great for a primary.  I would just put a clean new sheet of black plastic (a garbage bag -- I would turn it inside out and get two batches per bag) over the top and use a string and a rubber band around it for a cover.  The gassing would inflate the cover, and the gas flow kept out any bad bugs.   The inflation of the cover would tell you when it was time to go to the secondary carboy.  When I moved from there and lost access to that crock, I bought a 12 gallon stainless crab cooker to be my primary. 

I too used extract and dry yeast for my pale ales.   I could drink good ale the easy way.  

Here is a great thing about a primary with a wide open top.  It is easy to save your yeast from the first dry yeast batch.   I had a bunch of small baby food jars, sterilized and ready when I did the transfer.  I would fill about 7 of them, if memory serves, from a seven gallon batch (into a 6.5 gallon carboy).  These jars of harvested yeast would do my next seven batches before I had to open another packet of dry yeast.   I tried to do a second generation harvest a couple of times but the taste had gone off both of those times and I gave up trying.  But I never had any problem with one yeast harvest's quality. 

Well, even if I can't have my ale any more, I still remember how much I loved to drink what I brewed. 

Edited by Alder Logs, 21 June 2016 - 10:34 AM.

• Juthro likes this

#203 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,372 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 June 2016 - 12:31 PM

Thanks for stopping by, Alder. I appreciate the input. I do so need me some corny kegs :)
It would make my preference to dry hoped, pale ale, a lot easier of achieve. Bottling all that beer is a major PITA for sure, and I've learned that's not the worst. Bottle cleaning and sanitizing is the worst IMHO. Though I have learned to always rinse and drain my empties now, its all part of my beer ritual, and is done before the beer is consumed.

That 6.5 carboy is all I've ever used for a primary, so I cant compare it to others, but other then being a heavy, breakable, SOB, it hasn't been bad so far.

I found that trying to get all the hop flowers through the mouth and neck of the secondary carboy is a huge PITA. I had used pelletized hops on my previous run. But this batch I had the brewing store in Anchorage just ship me my ingredients, so as to save me the 6 hour round trip to pick it up. I usually shop for beer stuff when on a mission for other things, but had no other necessary reasons to make that drive. Anyway, I didn't specify a preference, so this is what I got. No worries, I am curious to see how much difference it makes in the final product.

I've thought about harvesting my own yeast, but so far it has gone to help keep my septic system happy. I am going to have to try it though, if for no other reason then to show myself I can.
  • Alder Logs likes this

#204 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

Shiitake Novice 206 Logs

• OG VIP
  • 8,842 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 June 2016 - 02:43 PM

The thing I discovered about dry hopping in the keg was the finish hop flavor curve.  It peaks out in three days, and then begins fading from there.  Those aromatic oils are very delicate I believe.   No complaints after the third day, but it would have been bad to not know what I had been missing when I was just adding the finish at the end of the boil.   Being a dry hopping home brewer with Corny kegs is to be an initiate in a mystery school. 

Look at all them yeasties at the bottom of your primary fermenter.  Them's yer grandkids, ya hillbilly!   You'll find 'em good company, but don't let 'em intermarry.  

• Juthro likes this

#205 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,372 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 June 2016 - 03:01 PM

You aint-a-kidden Alder, there was one hell of a yeast cake in that fermenter.

This batch was actually from a liquid starter (Wyeast 1056 IIRC) that I proofed, and expanded in jar before pitching. That way the yeast cells that are going to be dominate in my temp, and environment have a chance to raise an army to convert the evil sugar into alcohol.

And I'm all right with them being kin 'an all. Mater of fact I find 'em more useful then some of the kin I already had by default.

:)

EDIT: Besides the making of a yeast starter, I did a much better job aerating the wort this batch, prior to pitching the yeast. The combination dramatically increased the rate of primary fermentation.

For the first couple of days the yeast were swimming around the carboy so enthusiastically that it look as if it were boiling. My wife made fun of me cuz I would just sit there and watch'em swimming around with a look of amazement on my face.

Edited by Juthro, 21 June 2016 - 03:09 PM.

• Alder Logs likes this

#206 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,372 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 August 2016 - 03:42 PM

Another batch of APA has just made it to the secondary fermenter. I went a little heavier on the hops on this batch, as I though the last batch was just a little light in that department.

I plan on bottling it in about 2 weeks.

carboy.jpg

#207 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,372 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:47 PM

It is clearing up, and settling out nicely. One more week and in the bottles it goes.

carboy 1week.jpg

#208 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 3,766 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 August 2016 - 09:31 PM

I'm thirsty! Beautiful color !
  • Juthro likes this

#209 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,372 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 August 2016 - 09:44 PM

Thank you my brother Bear :)

I'm looking forward to trying this batch, but I look forward to trying every batch, lol.

You know there is always a beer for you here my friend.

#210 stmhunter

stmhunter

stxsp

• Free Member
  • 567 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 06:13 AM

my last batch was the same grain bill, makers mark uses. i made 4 gallons of great Bourbon with part of it and the rest i just left white. right now i have a batch of sweet feed fermenting it makes pretty good shine.

• Juthro likes this

#211 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,372 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:47 PM

my last batch was the same grain bill, makers mark uses. i made 4 gallons of great Bourbon with part of it and the rest i just left white. right now i have a batch of sweet feed fermenting it makes pretty good shine.

If you don't mind me asking, STM. What kind of still are you running?

#212 stmhunter

stmhunter

stxsp

• Free Member
  • 567 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 10:49 PM

i have a 16 gallon still i made from a beer keg.12.jpg 18.jpg

• Juthro likes this

#213 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,372 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 August 2016 - 11:42 PM

Nice pot still :) Thanks for sharing, my Texan friend.

I've been thinking of making a similar set up, but have been hung up on whether to use a half keg, or a full size keg. I have been worried that a full keg would be to large to be convenient for running for just me. Do you mind sharing some insight?

I assume the content of those jugs must have been aged in some wood to get that beautiful color. And it does look good.

Have you been happy with your set up?

Hope your hand has healed up well, BTW.

#214 stmhunter

stmhunter

stxsp

• Free Member
  • 567 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 02:33 PM

i like it for what i do. i'll ferment a batch in a 55 gallon plastic drum and run off 12 gallons of mash at a time. 12 gallons will give me a little over a gallon and a half of shine once i temper it down to 110 proof. 16 gallon keg works good for me because i'll make a few gallons at a time, have several friends i share it with. i run it off slow to get a higher proof so it might take 8 hrs to run that 12 gallons.if you're just doing for you i'd go with the smaller keg so you don't have as much running time.

the bourbon was aged on oak chips. this is a good source for info.  http://homedistiller.org/forum/

• Juthro likes this

#215 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,372 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 August 2016 - 03:39 PM

Thanks, STM :)

#216 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 4,372 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 August 2016 - 12:10 AM

Bottling day!!

What a pain in the ass, lol :)

My wife does not drink(or make) beer, but she loves to help with this part of the process. She gets to run the bottling wand and fill the bottles. She thanks me every time we bottle a batch, for letting her help, lol.

Frankly, bottling is a major PITA, and I am thankful for any help I get. But I haven't saved up enough dough to buy all of the equipment I need to start kegging.

bottle tree.jpg carboy bottling day.jpg

I got a hell of a yeast cake on this batch.

I got forty five, 12oz bottles out of this batch, and a quart of sediment heavy beer left from the bottling bucket that will get used this week for beer battered cod, and maybe enough will be left for a batch of beer cheese soup (sorry Alder, but its SOOO good).

It doesn't get mentioned much, but bottle conditioned beer is a great source of probiotics. I don't care for yogurt, but I make up for it with this :)
  • skunkbudda403 likes this

#217 archersmark

archersmark

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 126 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:03 PM

I just found this topic, I didn't realize so many folks have multiple consuming hobbies like I do.  I have found wine and mead making to be so much easier than fungi, though I am learning.  I've been making wine for almost 12 years now.  At various points I've come close to pursuing opening a winery but have always chickened out.  One good thing is that I have invested in lots of equipment and have been able to each several dozen people how to make their own wine.  

Here are some batches I started over the winter.  I'm using better bottle carboys, which have a spigot on the bottom, which makes sampling easy and doesn't require putting a wine thief in :)  It does lead to a lot of wine being drunk before it can be bottled, which isn't such a bad thing since bottling is another hassle and expense.  

20170322_125415.jpg

From left to right: 

Pinot Gris

Chablis

Angel Bianco ( blend of Chardonnay, Muscat and Riesling)

Mezza Luna Red (Zinfandel blend)

• Juthro likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!