• Please log in to reply
235 replies to this topic

#41 NappyCappy

NappyCappy

Captain Morgan

• Validating
  • 57 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:44 PM

Just Brewed Up 5 Gal Of Summertime Pale Ale With Some Mt. Hood Hops.
Airlock Just Started Bubbling. It Has Been About Three Years Since My Last Batch, So I Am Very Excited And Can't Wait To Tank This Bad Boy Down =)
Damn It Smells Good!

#42 Guest_topiasucks_*

Guest_topiasucks_*

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:47 PM

poop.

#43 idky

idky

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 08:01 PM

I stuffed a cat in my fermenter

#44 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:09 AM

10 Gallons of Imperial IPA. (all Summit hops with 10% rye) 9%

I ferment in plastic carboys, which sit inside tubs of water. I control the water temperature with aquarium heaters. This is an affordable way to maintain consistent fermentation temps, which has greatly improved my beers.

Posted Image

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN49030001.JPG

#45 DarkLestor

DarkLestor

Wanderer

• Expired Member
  • 689 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 06:44 PM

dryhopped IPA with rose extract. in secondary right now. smells SOOOOO good. the rose plays extremely wel with the hops.

yumm.

#46 afg

afg

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 03:43 AM

Nice setup there Jim. I have a collapsible cooler that will hold a carboy and do pretty much the same thing, but I have to swap out ice bottles to hold 68*f.
Had to downsize my living arrangements and my 10g AG setup was a casulty. So I've been on a wine kick. In the fermenters I have 5g of Windsor Oaks Sauv Blanc ready to be racked then fined & cold stabilized(when the bro-in-law can give up some 2nd fridge room)... I also have some kit wines going, all from Wine Expert. The Vintner's Reserve Riesling should be ready to bottle next week and their Limited Edition Australian Petite Verdot and South African Shiraz should be ready to bottle sometime next month.
For beers I'm trying to dial in an extract brown ale. I want to make one for cooking(chicken/mushrooms/onions in brown ale reduction) but I still want it to drink good. It's been good for drinking, but a bit hoppy for cooking. I just need to suck it up and brew a batch with no late hop additions. Yes that is scary for me.
  • Scroto Baggins likes this

#47 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 May 2010 - 05:22 AM

I ferment in plastic carboys, which sit inside tubs of water. I control the water temperature with aquarium heaters. \

:headbang:

And here i was thinking i was original. . .

Same here waylit, but I have hard cider, or cizer if you want to get technical about it. I use small barrels that I cut in half to hold my carboys. I devised this years ago when i brewed beer and lived in a apt with steam heater that was stuck on all the time, so we had the windows open all winter and there was crazy temperature variation dependent on positive or negative airflow. . . :horse:

5 gal unpasteurized apple cider
6 cups fructose
4lbs honey
red star champagne yeast =
awesomeness

I dissolve the fructose in water, add the honey, and skim off the white foamy honey-proteins. When it stops producing froth at a very low simmer I cool it and add it to the cider. I don't boil the cider and have never had flavor issues. Pitch a starter and off to the races!

Easy and awesome. I just have to remember to call the cider mill on Thursdays and make sure they save me a few gallons of unpasteurized cider when its not apple season.

Did a few batches with a lb or 2 of blackberries and a bit less honey last summer/fall and it was pure bliss. . .

:pirate: TR

Edited by TurkeyRanch, 07 May 2010 - 05:30 AM.

#48 taliesin

taliesin

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 03:49 PM

11% Imperial Stout

- with vanilla bean, molasses, licorice root, and bourbon soaked oak chips

Sound very tasty, :teeth::thumbup: I'm starting a licquorice and aniseed stout tomorrow, dandelion and burdocks just dropped clear

#49 taliesin

taliesin

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:55 AM

Well i love experimenting with brews especially unusual additives to my brew so I've bitten the bullet and done it fresh in my fermenter as of last night Coffee Ale:headbang:
will try and get a thread up here later with pics I took of process but what could be better than a beer you can drink thats loaded with caffeine so you can stay up longer and drink more:teeth:

#50 Tripp

Tripp

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 890 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:01 AM

Hey long time no post...

Anyway i have a batch of Ringwood bitter in my fermenter about 19L i expect to lose a litre of that to trub etc. though. Will be tasting today as last weekend it was still a bit green so hopefully it will taste a bit better today :D
http://www.ringwoodb...best-bitter.asp
Oh and if any of you are into english ale i must reccomend Graham Wheelers book.

Wow, that's possibly my favourite brewery! I used to live near there. My favourite of theirs is 49er ;)

I'm currently brewing my first ever batch, it's a Stout, got the cheapest one from a local brewshop. Hopefully it will go into the keg tomorrow, then bottle a week or two after! Wish me luck :)

#51 Juliakhanam

Juliakhanam

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 07:26 AM

While I believe that some mycoplasma fermentation is carried out using stirring, the answer you may be looking for is that penicillin production is a batch process where mycoprotein is a continuous fermentation process. In a continuous process, nutrients and oxygen are continually added and produced mycoprotein is continually harvested.

#52 Tripp

Tripp

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 890 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:11 AM

Just got done starting a Coopers Real Ale kit. My first ale!

#53 firerat

firerat

Why am I so thirsty....

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,949 posts

Donator

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:23 AM

Technically not in the fermentor yet, but I have all the fixins for a Southern English Brown Ale on the way!!

It'll be my first All Grain Brew!!

#54 Tripp

Tripp

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 890 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:54 AM

Technically not in the fermentor yet, but I have all the fixins for a Southern English Brown Ale on the way!!

Nice! Got my mouth watering! Just so happens I am in Southern England right now, so might have to go get me a Brown Ale!

Let us know how it turns out, firerat :)

#55 firerat

firerat

Why am I so thirsty....

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,949 posts

Donator

Posted 17 November 2010 - 04:07 PM

She's been bottled for 2 weeks and is awaiting her first taste test!!

At bottling she had a nice chocolately flavor, so I have high hopes for this one!!

In the fermentor:

My last of the original Mr. Beer kit in a can things. It's an Octoberfest (I know I'm late) Lager!!

Going to bottle this weekend!!

#56 MrGumball

MrGumball

show me do it

• Expired Member
  • 2,339 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 December 2010 - 03:38 PM

I just bottled Edwort's Apfelwein.

#57 Tripp

Tripp

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 890 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:45 AM

She's been bottled for 2 weeks and is awaiting her first taste test!!

At bottling she had a nice chocolately flavor, so I have high hopes for this one!!

In the fermentor:

My last of the original Mr. Beer kit in a can things. It's an Octoberfest (I know I'm late) Lager!!

Going to bottle this weekend!!

Excellent! Hope it lives up to expectations :)

Technically not in the fermenter yet, but later on it will be...

English Nut Brown ale. Trying demerara sugar out for the first time in beer ;)

#58 firerat

firerat

Why am I so thirsty....

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,949 posts

Donator

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:51 AM

Excellent! Hope it lives up to expectations :)

She's still a little green. Gonna give it a little more time bottle conditioning and try it again. Patience and virtues and all that ya know.

I just bottled Edwort's Apfelwein.

Yummy!! I love Apfelwein!!

#59 Tripp

Tripp

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 890 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 06:53 AM

She's still a little green. Gonna give it a little more time bottle conditioning and try it again. Patience and virtues and all that ya know.

Hope your patience pays off :)

I got my IPA started yesterday, a litle sloppy as I was in a hurry, but we'll see how it turns out! Nut Brown Ale is nearly ready for bottle conditioning. Yum!

#60 STLawesome

STLawesome

Residing in a dark hollow

• Expired Member
  • 181 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 02:16 AM

I've got 11 gallons of my cyser ageing since August. I want to be lazy and wait till March to bottle it but if I do it now it will be nice and ready by then.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!