• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#41 lewiscarroll

lewiscarroll

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 92 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:19 PM

The second part of this explains that this is a myth. Too bad...I got gnats too. I put up a sticky fly trap & that helps - also caught a spider unfortunately.

https://www.washingt...s/skineggs.html

#42 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:37 PM

wait wait if you just sit one in a room it will scare gnats away? What proximity do they cover like a 10 foot circle to deter insects?

no,
like i stated-
they don't work.

#43 Rooster

Rooster

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 92 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:07 PM

Have you guys ever tried the hot shot brand no pest strips? Those are what some mj growers use when they have bugs.

#44 GoodMojo

GoodMojo

frequently ambivalent

• Expired Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 09:52 PM

The common ingredient amongst the various suggestions is vinegar.

Here is the page of results I just pulled up: getting rid of gnats

I would imagine just about everyone has some vinegar around the kitchen or laundry room. It's worth a shot before spending money and fouling the house with chems.

#45 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,707 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:41 AM

I've tried everything so far.
Gnatrol looked most promising 'til the manufacturer stopped producing it.......musta been toxic
My next step is to burn the house to the ground and start over.
Good luck getting rid of them.

I use yellow sticky traps
'Just so I can have the satisfaction of counting their little dead bodies'

#46 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 11:38 AM

:lol:

#47 dreadydavo

dreadydavo

Sick of being "That Guy!"

• Free Member
  • 191 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 12:06 PM

Neat idea, but maybe you need to crack one of them suckers open to help their effectivness? Their pretty sticky inside and got kinda of a pungent sappy smell too, once you're finally able to get one open, baseball bats arent only for recreation- they seem to be a neccessity on those hard buggers. i dont mean to question you Hippie3, but did you try to open one up to see how it works then?

#48 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 12:17 PM

you be my guest, man. i see no reason to do further work on it.

#49 Leftover Salmon

Leftover Salmon

Bold as Love

• Expired Member
  • 490 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 12:31 PM

So these hedge apples are not effective in deterring gnats correct? Is the same true for insects other than gnats? These are uncommon round here so I have no way of testing... I am only curious..

#50 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 12:35 PM

didn't deter flies either.
of course i didn't test every species of insect...

#51 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 September 2009 - 01:05 PM

Most of the anecdotal reports on the Internet describe them as basically being somewhat "miraculous." That is to say, dramatic.

If you saw no notable effects at all, I'd be likely to put it in the old wive's tale category...

Wait, you DID harvest them under the full moon didn't you?

#52 ishkaboo

ishkaboo

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 867 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 07:04 PM

Was watching TV and caught an advertisement for these new Out! bug-off things.

Evidently they work as well as DEET bug spray but you just clip it on or around you... so I was thinking it might work to clip a couple of these in the grow room or maybe even in the tubs if the gnat infestation is that bad.

http://www.offprotec...uito-repellent/

Also, about the gnatrol. It is still in production, you just cannot buy it like you used to be able to. I was able to buy a gallon of it from a local hydroponics shop. He had to go in the back of the store to get it for me and said that they are not allowed to put it out on the shelf anymore for whatever reason.
  • Leftover Salmon likes this

#53 tenjin

tenjin

dizzy with possibilities

• Expired Member
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 09:41 PM

I've tried everything so far.
Gnatrol looked most promising 'til the manufacturer stopped producing it.......musta been toxic
My next step is to burn the house to the ground and start over.
Good luck getting rid of them.

I use yellow tape and traps and seems to help. Heard alot of good things about Gnatrol though. The yellow sticky traps and tape are pretty effective, if you can kill the adults then you don't have to worry as much about the larva. It was my understanding that the gnats themselves are pretty harmless, but when they burrow in the top layer of the soil and lay eggs, their larva will eat your root hairs possibly spreading disease to the plant thus killing it.

#54 Leftover Salmon

Leftover Salmon

Bold as Love

• Expired Member
  • 490 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 11:18 PM

Was watching TV and caught an advertisement for these new Out! bug-off things.

Evidently they work as well as DEET bug spray but you just clip it on or around you... so I was thinking it might work to clip a couple of these in the grow room or maybe even in the tubs if the gnat infestation is that bad.

This sounds like a great idea! If you happen to try this let us know how they fare. . . Pretty clever my friend!

#55 suckerfree

suckerfree

GATE KEEPER

• OG VIP
  • 3,032 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 September 2009 - 11:25 PM

Also, about the gnatrol. It is still in production, you just cannot buy it like you used to be able to. I was able to buy a gallon of it from a local hydroponics shop. He had to go in the back of the store to get it for me and said that they are not allowed to put it out on the shelf anymore for whatever reason.

looks like they changed their product line, no longer selling liquid form, they are selling it in granule form... supposed to have a twice as long shelf life now...

#56 Leftover Salmon

Leftover Salmon

Bold as Love

• Expired Member
  • 490 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 01:14 AM

Oopsy...

Edited by Leftover Salmon, 23 September 2009 - 01:21 AM.
drunken double post... Sorry,..:(

#57 Leftover Salmon

Leftover Salmon

Bold as Love

• Expired Member
  • 490 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 01:20 AM

With the granules; one is still able to make a liquid and spray things down, yes? And we are talking about the Gnatrol correct? Any idea what is in this Gnatrol?

#58 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:15 AM

Most of the anecdotal reports on the Internet describe them as basically being somewhat "miraculous." That is to say, dramatic.

If you saw no notable effects at all, I'd be likely to put it in the old wive's tale category...

Wait, you DID harvest them under the full moon didn't you?

dammit - i knew i was forgetting something!..
:lol:

#59 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,707 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:36 AM

With the granules; one is still able to make a liquid and spray things down, yes? And we are talking about the Gnatrol correct? Any idea what is in this Gnatrol?

BTI

#60 mushhut

mushhut

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 936 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:54 PM

sorry for the false alarm. I wish there was a way to rid the gnats forever. I resorted to press and seal under my lids and myco spore tape over the holes of my tubs.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!