• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Irishlion

Irishlion

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 06:51 AM

This is very simple Tek. It is very very easy and very effective.

First, Measure your popcorn dry. Approxmently 1/2 a jar dry will = whole jar Hydrated.

Dump all measured popcorn into the Pressure Cooker "loose" meaning not inside of jars.

Dump double the water that there is popcorn, if you dump more water thats even better as the popcorn will double in size. Pressure Cook @ 15 P.S.I. for 60 minutes (one hour)

Once the pressure cooking is done release pressure from the PC.

Once pressure is released strain popcorn out on window screen or something of the like, while hot. Wear gloves or some type of hand protection for this. So as to not burn your hands with the steam. It is done this way so all the moisture will evaporate from the outside of the popcorn kernels. Allow the popcorn to cool to the touch before jarring.

You will notice if you have done right the outside of the kernels will be dry or almost dry, don't let this fool you as all the moisture will be inside the kernel. You can take a dry kernel and do a side by side comparision of the hydrated one to see the difference. The hydrated one should be twice as big as dry one.

Add 1/8 cup to 1/4 cup fine verm (or whatever you have, I use fine for this as it allows for alot better distrbution as you shake) to the bottom of each jar.

Jar popcorn up, making sure not to fill the jars up completly, the reason u don't fill the jars completly is so you can shake them after inoculation and distribute the spores evenly, only fill jars up to about 2 inchs from top of the jar, if using pint then compensate accordingly, Place lid on with rubber seal of the lid touching the glass neck of the jar, Tighten Ring Down tight. Cover lid and ring with tinfoil. Then PC @ 15 psi for 60 more minutes. Allow to cool over night. Now you are ready for incoulation.

Heres what it should look like before PCing.

1.jpg

Remember to remove tinfoil after inoculating so the jars can breath if jars are gonna be setting after PCing any length of time. More than a day then remove tinfoil this will prevent bacterial contamnination.

This is After Pcing

2.jpg

Inoculate through the Polyfil center of the Lid, Flame your needle, whipe it with a ISO soaked cotton ball and inject approxmently 1 to 2 cc's of spore solution into each jar, then shake the jars really well to distribute the spores througout the spawn, this will prevent you from having to shake the jars later as popcorn tends to be fragile and the kernels if shaken to hard will bust open and trun to mush causing contamninate problems.

This is a 7 day old MS inoculation using the above tek

3.jpg

LIDS

Making whole grain lids is very simple. Heres the ones I use and they work killer.

Single Whole polyfil Lids
Things required
Lids
Polyfill
Big phillips Screwdriver or anything that will make a 1/4" to 1/2" hole in center of lid. A 3/8 dril bit is the best (if using a drill bit then the screwdriver and hammer aren't required.)
hammer
Scissors

Lay lid down face up on flat surface. a cooking board or flat board works well.

Drive the screw driver through the center of the lid and wobble screw drive in the whole in a 360 degree fashion. Then turn lid over, using hammer flatten sharp edges so you don't cut yourself while pulling the polyfil through.

Next grab some polyfil and twist it tight and pull through the hole. The harder it is to get through the whole the better off you are. pull though hole till its about 3/4" to 1" or more on the both sides making sure its gets harder to pull through as you pull (remember the harder it is to pull through the better protection it will offer while still giving the FAE you need).

Next take scissors and trim off the polyfil about 1/2" on both sides.

Bingo, now you have a lid that will breath and you can inoculate through as well.

Heres a picture of one of the lids so you get a idea

4.jpg

5.jpg

Edited by Irishlion, 22 October 2009 - 04:15 AM.
added info

• fipdiblr and ilikethings like this

#2 AGAMA

AGAMA

Open Your Eyes And Realize That We Are One

• Site Administrator
  • 5,094 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 September 2009 - 07:38 AM

Thanx.
You guys just keep making this easier and easier with all this wonderful info!

Please keep it up!!!

May what you give out come back to you tenfold.

#3 Irishlion

Irishlion

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 07:43 AM

Thanks. However this isn't my tek, was taught to me but, its so simple and easy and effective, I just figured that I would post it and share as I haven't seen it around although I am sure its probally buried somewhere around here.

Just figured I would explain it step by step and give some visual aids so peeps could start popcorn simply and easily.

#4 P4ulada

P4ulada

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 945 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 08:05 AM

great tuto Irish
thank you ;)

#5 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 September 2009 - 08:24 AM

That is how I do popcorn, other than I run hot, then cold water over the kernels in a strainer--then I lay the popcorn out between two large bath towels to dry for a few minutes.

It works every time.

And this will save newbies a lot of searching. Thanks, Irish.

#6 coyoteyogi

coyoteyogi

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 12:05 PM

Got the popcorn soaking as I type. Will cook it tonight and jar it. Using LC to innoc. Thanks for this as it clears up a few small questions I had.

#7 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 September 2009 - 12:12 PM

Nice write up, Irish. Very straight forward with good pics.

I always process my popcorn hot. I put 3-4 cups of hydrated corn in a big colander and stir with a spoon until it stops steaming. I have a little clip on fan that I aim down into the colander to speed evaporation. It gets the moisture perfect every time.

I also always shake up the finished popcorn jar/bag and then return to the incubator for 24 hours to recover before spawning with it.

#8 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 12:21 PM

http://archives.myco...html?1072487280

http://archives.myco...html?1037929726

#9 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 September 2009 - 12:39 PM

Man, I ain't seen that popcorn page in a dog's years! Seems like forever ago...

#10 Faaip De Oaid

Faaip De Oaid

Rotten Apple

• Expired Member
  • 173 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:06 PM

this is a great write up. I followed it before and it was a huge success. hopefully i can start a batch again

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!