• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 sam0seed

sam0seed

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 300 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:50 PM

Any one have a good simple way for extracting the Psi out of booms ?

#2 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:08 PM

Grind 'em up and soak them in vodka or grain alcohol for a few days - shake often.

Filter out all the particles and then evaporate as much of the alcohol as you want. Store in the freezer in an amber bottle (light damages psilocybin).

DON'T evaporate all the alcohol. The actives will oxidize and break down within a day or two if they aren't suspended in liquid.
  • sampioen likes this

#3 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 12:50 PM

Here are a few suggestions to maximize your absorbtion rate.

1. use a coffee grinder to powder your shrooms. I use 5g dry per person.
2. Use 1 gram of shrooms to 15ml of everclear. You can use lower % alcohol it just doesn't work as well.
3. place shrooms and everclear in a sealed jar and use a stir plate to suspend all the particals (very important).
4. Cover with a cloth to protect from light.
5. Leave this way for 2 - 3 days. Longer is better.
6. Place jar in water on top of a cloth and bring solution to a slow boil for 15 minutes.
7. Strain using coffee filters. Note: wet filters with water b4 straining to prevent the loss of liquid into the paper.

I've tried numerous other methods and they can work but the extraction rate is lower.

If you don't use a stir plate you want to let them the solution for a couple of weeks.
  • mushit likes this

#4 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,357 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 September 2009 - 04:16 PM

I just dump shrooms in a jar and cover them with everclear, enough so that I can shake them around pretty good. Sometimes I break up the shrooms, but sometimes not.... I put the jar on the kitchen counter and shake it whenever I walk by - usually for about three weeks, sometimes more, never less. After three weeks, I filter it with a wire strainer first, then with coffee filters pre-wetted with everclear. I squeeze the beejesus out of the leftover mush to get all the goods out... Personally, I evap mine down to 5mls / gram, as taking a shot of everclear in order to get a few gram dose is extremely disgusting to me. At this level of evaporation, I usually get some sugars crystalizing at the bottom of the jar, but they don't eat much :) It's REALLY simple as long as you're not in a rush. I tried using stove heat ONCE, and had a jar of everclear-mush shatter, covering my stove but fortunately not igniting - that stuff is EXTREMELY flammable, so be really careful if you're heating it... When I do the evap, I put the liquor in a large pyrex measuring cup (I have a 4 cup pourable container), I put the cup on a heating pad set on high (no worries about explosions there) and place a small fan aimed at the surface on low... it evaps pretty quickly that way. Extract rocks.... takes away all the tummy nasties and (for me and the wife at least) runny eyes, yawns, etc., are all gone. :) soliver
  • Dlight and morganik like this

#5 marmy

marmy

riding the roller coaster

• Expired Member
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 11:43 PM

In a pint mason with an OZ in it, how much of an airspace would one leave? Some? none?

Why yes, they all would be covered

#6 MushroomJoe

MushroomJoe

Mycotechnician

• Expired Member
  • 429 posts

Donator

Posted 02 November 2009 - 05:21 PM

Alright, so since your saying Everclear, I imagine that pure ethanol will work. :)

So, once you evap the ethanol away and are left with the substance, what is your prefered method of taking it.

And you say 5g of mushrooms per person?

What if you only usually take 2g orally?

#7 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 November 2009 - 11:26 PM

Ethanol and Everclear are the same thing.

If you evaporate all the liquid, the psilocybin will be mostly oxidized (and rendered useless) before you ever get a chance to consume it.
  • sampioen likes this

#8 joseph

joseph

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 03:37 AM

what extraction would you recomend for someone who cannot consume alcohol? recovering alcoholic here. . . needing a non-alcoholic extraction method. . .
  • Dlight likes this

#9 marmy

marmy

riding the roller coaster

• Expired Member
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:05 AM

what extraction would you recomend for someone who cannot consume alcohol? recovering alcoholic here. . . needing a non-alcoholic extraction method. . .

Golly's honey extract of course....

http://mycotopia.net...ract-2-0-a.html

VERY YUMMY!!!!

and welcome to topia.

#10 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,572 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:53 AM

Alright, so since your saying Everclear, I imagine that pure ethanol will work. :)

So, once you evap the ethanol away and are left with the substance, what is your prefered method of taking it.

And you say 5g of mushrooms per person?

What if you only usually take 2g orally?

If by "Pure" you mean 100% ethanol like the kind used to make E85 fuel, just be sure to dilute it with some water before trying to drink any.

And you don't want to evap it all away since as BB pointed out the magic will oxidize very quickly.

However strongly you concentrate it, start out with a modest test dose to gauge the potency since every extract will be different. You can even mix in some citric acid crystals to get the same effect as the lemon juice trick (my favorite way to eat 'em; mash up a few dry grams, put in shot glass, cover w/ just enough fresh-squeezed lemon or lime juice to make into a muddy consistency, let sit at room temp. about 20 minutes, take the shot and chase w/ water). This method has no body load, very fast onset, and shorter duration. I added citric acid to my last everclear extract and it worked great. It probably also helps preserve potency (not that extracts need much help with that). For the shots, I prefer Key limes since they are most acidic and best tasting.

#11 sticky.mycelium

sticky.mycelium

Transcendent Sage

• Expired Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:57 AM

There's no reason to leave the booms in the alcohol for weeks at a time. you're just wasting time if you do that, all you need to do is shake it vigorously until the booze turns as blue as you think it can get, maybe an hour or two(if that).. then if you want to evaporate it you can or you can just drink the booze.

#12 Mushroom Kingdom

Mushroom Kingdom

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 183 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 12:19 PM

You could also try putting it in chocolate if you dont wanna do the honey :)

this is from Eatyualive
http://mycotopia.net...een-treats.html

#13 copelandiaKidd

copelandiaKidd

I am

• Free Member
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:22 PM

yummmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmm, mushroom chocolates!

#14 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,572 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 November 2009 - 02:03 PM

shake it vigorously until the booze turns as blue as you think it can get, maybe an hour or two(if that)..

What proof alcohol are you using? I ask because when I use Everclear (190 proof) the extract turns a golden amber color, kind of like tequila (so I store it in a tequila bottle).

#15 MushroomJoe

MushroomJoe

Mycotechnician

• Expired Member
  • 429 posts

Donator

Posted 03 November 2009 - 04:29 PM

Does anyone see why you couldn't extract the mushies with ethanol then distill down to a very concentrated amount of fluid, then add to chocolate?

Just curious. I may be trying this soon. I will post information if I do.

#16 Buzztea

Buzztea

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 146 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 08:59 AM

if you grind them to powder be sure to have a good way to filter..

(a vakuum pump) i had massive problems filtering my extracts using a tea filer and coffe filters..

other thing is what results did you have with storage, how long do they keep in your experience

my extract was awesome, then I reheated and added honey and after a week or so it was sonsumed and it was much less potent (difficult to say if i fucked up reheating or if it broke later)

#17 MushroomJoe

MushroomJoe

Mycotechnician

• Expired Member
  • 429 posts

Donator

Posted 04 November 2009 - 04:30 PM

Buzz, so since you've taken the extract also, I want to know:

Did the stomach uneasiness, yawning, and general lethargy that come with eating them whole seem less with the extract?

This was something that another member claimed and I want to know if there is some consensus in the matter.

#18 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,357 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:20 PM

There's no reason to leave the booms in the alcohol for weeks at a time. you're just wasting time if you do that, all you need to do is shake it vigorously until the booze turns as blue as you think it can get, maybe an hour or two(if that).. then if you want to evaporate it you can or you can just drink the booze.

That's straight out incorrect. You're going to really ruin some people's
hobby shrooms spreading misinformation like that...

My experience has shown that three weeks is a safe amount of time to
let them sit... a few hours (even shaking them, but besides, who the hell
could shake a jar vigorously for two hours?) won't do jack squat to penetrate
the dry parts of the shroom, and for the record,

I've NEVER seen a shroom extract in liquor turn BLUE.
Brown, yes - amber, yes - but not blue. I don't know what you think
you're talking about, but it's not everclear extract...

Boomers blue in Honey, not ethanol.

The extract does remove most of the yawning, weirdness, and stomach
upset, which is why it's pretty much the only method I use any more.
Heating and / or adding the extract to honey will only speed up the loss
of potency. Extract it, evap down to about one gram / .5ml (or one gram to
one ml, whichever) then store it in the freezer. Done!

:)

soliver
  • invisibilitysyndrome likes this

#19 MushroomJoe

MushroomJoe

Mycotechnician

• Expired Member
  • 429 posts

Donator

Posted 05 November 2009 - 11:06 PM

The extract does remove most of the yawning, weirdness, and stomach
upset, which is why it's pretty much the only method I use any more.
Heating and / or adding the extract to honey will only speed up the loss
of potency. Extract it, evap down to about one gram / .5ml (or one gram to
one ml, whichever) then store it in the freezer. Done!

:)

soliver

When you say one gram per .5 ml do you mean that if I started out with 20g of dry material and extracted, I would want to evap to about 10ml of remaining ethanol?

Also, what sort of potency have you noticed. Like if I normally like 1g of dry matter, how much would I need to make an extract with similar effects. I know that these are gross estimations but even a guesstimate would be awesome.

I have basic chem knowledge and some distillation equipment, so I could do this and loose none of the original ethanol. (minus the amount that I ingest)

Thanks for all the info. I will be attempting this the next time that I have a small batch, I will definitely report my results. I will have a few others to give their reports of their experiences (about 4 total) so I will get a decent amount of feedback and I will share with all who are contemplating this as well.

I plan on adding the final solution to melted chocolate to make small treats. I can't think of any reason why this would affect the potency. It should just act as a tasty vehicle for the extract to reside in on its trip down to my insides.

#20 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,629 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 November 2009 - 11:37 PM

Soliver responded already to my other thread, but I wonder if anyone else will weigh-in: if Everclear is not available in my state, can I increase the proof of Bacardi 151 using epsom salt to remove water content?

Sol said that there's been a lot of talk about this, but not much action. Any chemists in the house?

TVC, I used your lime method and it did work for me, which is sweet. Less body load means it's easier to focus...
  • happy4nic8r likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!