• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 joseph

joseph

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 09:15 PM

hey thanks for the info, don't really know how to use the site yet, im tripping right now and trying to learn, quite difficult at times...
  • happy4nic8r likes this

#42 addicted2trippin

addicted2trippin

Addicted2myco*****

• Expired Member
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:17 PM

Can someone elaborate on evaporating the alcohol down...and I mean tell me exactly how they do it.. Call me paranoid but I am extremely sketched out heating alcohol ESPECIALY everclear... much thanks in advance

#43 SilvrHairDevil

SilvrHairDevil

Gatekeeper

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:52 PM

A double boiler will do it.

Or, a steel bowl over a pot of simmering water under a range hood fan with another fan blowing on the surface.

#44 funmkr77

funmkr77

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 215 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:40 PM

And you probably shouldn't use a gas range.:eusa_naug

#45 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:36 PM

Or, a steel bowl over a pot of simmering water under a range hood fan with another fan blowing on the surface.

That'll do it. The downside to reducing is that it's a pain and also unless one has a graduated measuring container to do the evaporation then it's hard to guarantee consistent outcomes. Especially with small amounts of liquid (<200ml).

What I'm playing with now is using 13ml / gram for the extraction. I like to use 10ml / gram when dosing and I'm guessing that due to using coffee filters and evaporation during the boil I'll lose about 3ml / gram in the process. Haven't tried this yet but this is where I'm going with this "tek".

#46 SilvrHairDevil

SilvrHairDevil

Gatekeeper

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:48 PM

You can evaporate 'til dry, weigh the result, then add back the desired amount of alcohol and re-dissolve the resin.

#47 anticheffy

anticheffy

Nice to be back in the air !

• OG VIP
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:16 PM

All this is too much work for me so I just powder the shrooms in a grinder, simmer in water for half an hour, add sugar, strain and bottle. Then just dump some in your favorite beverage and voila ! tasty too.

#48 pinkbuffalo91

pinkbuffalo91

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:23 PM

I want the most concentrated dose of psilo!!
Ok I read that you can't evap all the alcohol, keeping it suspended in liquid.
I don't want to drink alot.
Could I evap the alcohol off and put it in chocolate or honey??

#49 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,560 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:16 AM

I want the most concentrated dose of psilo!!
Ok I read that you can't evap all the alcohol, keeping it suspended in liquid.
I don't want to drink alot.
Could I evap the alcohol off and put it in chocolate or honey??

Pour a shot of alcohol into a tea cup, add tea bag (herbal tea w/ spicy flavor is good), cover w/ boiling water and steep normally. The boiling water will flash off almost all the alcohol instantly leaving you with psilocybin and herb tea.

But for the most concentrated, grow woodlovers and make extract from those. :headbang:

But be careful what you wish for; when it comes to psychedelics some folks (and I'm one of them) prefer to focus on quality over quantity. It's all about what you're really after when you take them; are you trying to learn and explore and understand or are you trying to find oblivion, which is kind of like a short-duration temporary suicide? You can definitely do both at the same time (explore and understand oblivion) but such experiences are probably best kept relatively few and far between.

#50 neo Figment

neo Figment

(evo)figment **OG**

• Expired Member
  • 436 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:49 PM

How long are dry cyrstals good? I would like to use then in the machine.

#51 Nintendo

Nintendo

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:43 PM

so not to hi jack the thread just thought i could get the info i needed here, thanks in advance. Swim has a quarter of boomies sitting in just over 4 shots of 100 proof vodka (everclear was not in stock) since the alcohol is lower proof he was wondering how long he should keep it before straining. (he was planing on 3 weeks)

Edited by Nintendo, 07 June 2013 - 12:22 AM.

#52 roscoe

roscoe

Not a mycologist.

• OG VIP
  • 2,892 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:52 PM

3 weeks should be fine, probably don't need quite that long. One thing to keep in mind is you might want to consume soonish as IME the lower proof of the vodka compared with the everclear might let your goodies degrade a bit over time. I noticed after a few months my kettle one extract didn't have the same kick as it did when it was "fresh."

#53 scrawlaz

scrawlaz

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:31 AM

so im planning on doing this with my next harvest..  to get everclear however i would be looking at a pretty long drive lol, i do have a resonably good lab set up however and was thinking of distilling a lower quality liquor to obtain my ethanol for the procedure.

( i personally think its a silly idea to remove the water using epsom salts. although in theory it could work...  a better route would be to use 3A zeolite as a desiccant.  my reasoning for saying this is salts are ionic polar compounds and are desolved in polar solvents.  although ethanol is a relatively less polar than water it is still polar.   anhydrous MgSO4 (epsom salt) is soluble at 25.5g/100 ml of water at 20 C, in comparison 1.16g/100ml in ethanol.  it is also important to note that the heptahydrate of MgSO4{ after MgSO4 absorbs water} is also slightly soluble in ethanol. what i conclude from these figures is that if u try to dry an ethanol/h2o solution like vodka with 40% alcohol with anhydrous MgSO4, what you will have is a reasonably salty yet higher concentration ethanol solution than what u started with.  although it will still not be very dry and you may need to repeat the process many times to increase the ethanol concentration to the point were it would be useable for our application... it would be much easier and take less time to just distill the ethanol/h2o till we reach 95% percent alcohol with two distillations.) just my thoughts tho if u feel like u dont mind a really salty drink and cant distill, maybe give it a try but dont expect 95% percent alcohol or expect it to taste good when ur done lol...

probably going to use bicardi 151 as its the highest proof stuff around me.  planning on using my hot plate stirrer heating a RB flask in a water bath to 174.5 F or 79.1 C, collecting the ethanol vapours through a liebig condenser and into a cooled RB flask.  once ive obtained my ethanol i plan to add my fresh finely chopped organic material to be able to extract both the psilocybin and psilocin while also adding some key lime juice/ dried vitamin crystals to reduce oxidation effects.  once both are added i plan to leave to stir on my hot plate for about 3 days.  once complete i will strain the solution to remove particulate matter.  i plan to evaporate to desired potency using 3 small computer fans blowing on the solution and heating to 90-95 F or 32.2-35 C ( keeping temp low not to destroy psychoactive compounds).  once the desired volume has been achieved i plan to measure out individual doses and store in dark brown glass vials once again to reduce the effects of oxidation through contact with light as our desired compounds are photosensitive.  i think at that point i will leave the solution in this form as to be versatile in the way it can be taken.  it can be added to a nice rum n coke, added to tea, or taken straight out of the vial.  

also i plan to use adequate ventilation to avoid dangerous vapour build up.  

my main question at this point is how much lime juice/ vitamin to use... is there a max amount i should add or the more the better, also im leaning more towards using crystal vitamin supplement as there wouldn't be any added h2o from the juice.

is there anything that you guys and galls can think of to add to procedure or change??! any feed back would be greatly appreciated :D

peace and love to all like minded individuals :D

Edited by scrawlaz, 15 February 2014 - 03:25 AM.

#54 1967FordTitus

1967FordTitus

Mycotopiate

• Banned Member
  • 2,099 posts

Donator

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:03 AM

This is a killer thread! So much info, so much sharing.

#55 invisibilitysyndrome

invisibilitysyndrome

SEE?

• OG VIP
  • 1,331 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:56 AM

Alright, so since your saying Everclear, I imagine that pure ethanol will work. :)

So, once you evap the ethanol away and are left with the substance, what is your prefered method of taking it.

And you say 5g of mushrooms per person?

What if you only usually take 2g orally?

I havent read this whole thred yet but if this has been said plz excuse...
pure ethenol isnt as good as everclear as I have read that a small amnt of water is necessary for extract...

#56 invisibilitysyndrome

invisibilitysyndrome

SEE?

• OG VIP
  • 1,331 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:00 AM

Buzz, so since you've taken the extract also, I want to know:

Did the stomach uneasiness, yawning, and general lethargy that come with eating them whole seem less with the extract?

This was something that another member claimed and I want to know if there is some consensus in the matter.

imho its cleaner more in the head aside from the anxiousness I get from fresh or extracted

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!