• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Shroom Masta

Shroom Masta

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 12:35 AM

Several 'topes have ask for my process in response to my first casing success and I am glad I can give something back to this amazing resource.

Here are the results after my initial attempt:
[dead link]

Without further ado.. the Stealth\Budget WBS Tek
***************First and foremost***********************
100% of what I've compiled is found somewhere in these forums and the vaults.
Some of this is even cut-n-paste from other teks.
I not here to take away any glory from anyone.
This is a combination of probably 15 or so different teks to suit my situation and finances.
What is my situation and finances.. well i have a big family, teenage kids, dogs, cats and I work from home.. so basically I need a low profile setup, cheap, effective, and something I can do while everyone is at school.

Also i'm unable to have a designated "clean room", I do my best to wash surfaces, buckets, utensils, tray, etc etc etc and spray Lysol like its a new form of oxygen.. but I try to be a fast and efficient as I can while maintaining a clean work area. Oh and latex gloves at all times..

Again I would just like to state - 100% of this is somewhere in these forums. I took what works for me, compiled them, and made it a success.

The trays i use you can get from wally world or even the local grocery stores around here.
They are the 3 drawer "organizer" things.. 12" by 18" i think.. somewhere in that size.

-----------=========== SPAWN ===========-----------
1. Get a 5 Gal. bucket w/ a tight lid.
2. Drill 100 or so 1/4' holes in the lid. The holes closest to the rim are important.
3. HOT GLUE/silicon a piece of window screen to the inside of the lid covering the holes.

(Makes about 10 qt. jars)
1. Pour 10-12 lbs. of WBS in the bucket.
2. Fill with water, stir it up good with your hand.
3. Screen off the Sunflower seeds,empty husks and dirt that floats.
4. Attach lid.
5. Flip bucket, drain water.
6. Flip right side up, "Tap"/Bang bucket on floor to get kernels off of the lid/sides.
7. Re-fill, rinse, repeat until the poured off water is pretty damn clear. (Could take 5 times)
8. Fill bucket with HOT TAP water.
9. Wait 12-48 hrs.. A 8 to 12 hour soak is fine. all seem to work. (If it smells bad and is fizzy it is OK, just don't go past 48 hrs.)
10. Flip bucket and drain for 1-4 hrs, shake it every now and again. Hold lid on and SHAKE HARD. Once soaked, simply rinse the seed very thoroughly in a colander, or strainer. Then allow it to drain - WELL. As in 30 or more minutes. If it is drips - one drop - it is not drained.
11. Stir up grain to mix before loading into bags/jars. If doing qt. jars only fill 3/4.
*****I'm using the 4 silicon injection port w/ tyvek filter hole in the middle.****
*****Cover lid with a double coffee filters then a layer of foil, attached with a big rubber band*****
12. PC 60 min @ 15 psi
13. SHAKE THE SHIT OUT OF THEM WHILE THEY ARE STILL HOT! No joke.. just do it.
14. Place jars inside the oven on a rack, to cool, overnight.
15. Inoculate with 2-3cc spores.
16. Place in a incubator.

Incubation = 83 degrees, no light

17. Shake when 10% colonized.
18. Shake when 40% colonized.
19. Shake when 80% colonized.
20. Once i see all the seed is covered, I start a 3 day timer..

-----------=========== CASING ===========-----------
Casing Recipe:
1 cup Verm
1 cup Worm Casing
Distilled water as needed to "field capacity" - basically i can pick up a handful with out drips but squeezing it gently immediately produces water.

Casing/tray setup:
Casing 1/8" layer
Spawn 1" layer
Casing 1/2" to 3/4" layer

Fruiting chamber = 68-72 degrees, 95% humidity, 12on/12off light

1. After the 3 days, setup your trays/cases as mentioned above and sit back and wait.
2. I harvest as the veils are breaking or fully ripped.
3. Once all the shrooms are harvested rinse loose material. I just used a garden hose..
4. Dunk 24 hours
5. Gently remove from tray.
6. Replace bottom 1/8" casing layer
7. Place back in tray.
8. Put about a 1/4" to 1/2" casing on top and fill sides
9. Repeat.

Edited by Sidestreet, 31 January 2018 - 05:40 AM.

#2 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 September 2009 - 01:07 AM

Nice writeup, man. Good details and not a lot of extraneous stuff.

I like the 5 gallon soak/drain bucket. Good design idea, screen glued inside the lid.

The long soak is an excellent idea. All the nasty spores have a chance to germinate and start growing. Living contams like that are way easier to kill in the PC than contam spores.

But you don't want to pass that 48 hour soak mark. Some of the really nasty stuff starts to make new spores at that point.

Nice WBS process technique, man.

Archive material to Wild Birdseed Teks

Edited by BuckarooBanzai, 16 September 2009 - 09:27 AM.
I can't spell...

#3 P4ulada

P4ulada

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 945 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:46 AM

Oh, awesome dude!
Thanks

#4 Shroomette

Shroomette

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:59 AM

Excellent write up and very easy to understand.:heart::eusa_clap

#5 Leftover Salmon

Leftover Salmon

Bold as Love

• Expired Member
  • 490 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:04 AM

Sweet, thank you for sharing!:eusa_clap What kind of FC are you using? Tubs?

#6 brax

brax

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:15 AM

Thanks! This is great.

If I could get one things clarified

When you inoculate, you lift the foil and two filters and then replace all of them? Even with the Tyvek/silicon self healing lids? This seems like overkill, but if it works....

#7 Shroom Masta

Shroom Masta

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 05:52 PM

Sweet, thank you for sharing!:eusa_clap What kind of FC are you using? Tubs?

Sorry for the delay in my replies...

FC well.. it's a custom setup. Basically it's a 4'tall X4'wide x2' deep heavy duty sheet plastic pulled over a 1" PVC frame. Front flap is held down by industrial grade velcro.
4 shelves, lights and ultrasonic humidifier on a timer.

I am in work on detailing my automated system, i'll try to get something posted soon.
I am in work on another design that automates the FAE and humidity with timers on the lights.. really cool.

More to come.

#8 Shroom Masta

Shroom Masta

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 05:53 PM

Thanks! This is great.

If I could get one things clarified

When you inoculate, you lift the foil and two filters and then replace all of them? Even with the Tyvek/silicon self healing lids? This seems like overkill, but if it works....

Nope, the foil and coffee filters come off and in the trash..

#9 Hawks2010

Hawks2010

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 04:14 AM

i wish i knew enough to post some kind of facts in this but i do think its awesome that people here are quick to create ideas from those of others and then credit the others, i've ben around many who just would claim them as their own

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!