never tried it but am considering-
what would be a good starting point ?

#2 lewiscarroll

lewiscarroll

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 92 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:18 PM

I've only reloaded shotgun shells but it's fun. What are you thinking about reloading?
http://www.alpharubi...toreloading.htm

#3 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:49 PM

mostly pistol ammo-
.45, .38 SPL, .380 etc.

#4 suckerfree

suckerfree

GATE KEEPER

• OG VIP
  • 3,032 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 September 2009 - 10:23 PM

here's a good company with solid machines (some of the better made ones)
http://www.dillonprecision.com/

the square b deal is the cheapest but for fifty more you can get the RL 550B which IMO is their best machine, it takes less time to change the calibers and the parts to change calibers is cheaper for this machine.

there is a link on their page that explains each machine...

as for a good starting point, i'd buy a few books on reloading, lyman 49 edition and speers 14th edition for sure.

#5 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,402 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 September 2009 - 06:14 AM

I agree and endorse the post above. Dollar for dollar dillion is the best deal and the easiest machine to use.

reloading is very relaxing for me, one of those "good for you" things

#6 Oblivion

Oblivion

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 07:40 AM

I reload plenty of different rounds. Lee is a decent outfit for dies and such. Low cost and good durability.

http://www.leeprecision.com/

#7 dice

dice

Jack of all trades.

• OG VIP
  • 2,522 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:07 AM

I was thinking bout it also a while back.
Used to do all my stepdads shells and stuff growing up,
n honestly its very simple and def worth every cent.
Went to the range last week,
and there were so many pistol rounds laying on the ground
got me thinking again I should really purchase a setup.
I woulda been stocked with prob thousands of rounds literally.
One mans trash is another mans treasure esp
with the price of ammo now days.
So if I do purchase a setup I shall let you know which route I went.

#8 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:58 AM

ouch, those machines aren't real cheap.
ok, let's say i pop for the middle-of-the-line unit,
what else will i need to begin ?
just the cartridges, primers, powder and bullets ?
or is there more i'll need ?

#9 Oblivion

Oblivion

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 04:54 PM

If you get a machine that has a pre-measured powder chamber you wont need any powder dippers. Lee offers a nice set of powder dips that really cant be beat for the price. Like you said though, they aint cheap. I went for the single operation just to see if it was something I would enjoy. Looking back, it would have been better to my an automatic/multi station unit where one round is completed with each actuation such as the ones offered by Dillon. You will need the dies for each round size you plan to reload. As far as I know all dies brands are standardized so don't worry too much about that. Verify that though, I could be wrong. Rifle rounds lengthen with each shot so before too long, they will have to be trimmed to prevent jams. For that you need to get a trimming unit. Pistol rounds will expand at the mouth and crack after 3 or so reloads. Make sure you get the proper primers for the specific casing. 9mm and 357 magnum take different primers for example. I know you don't fuck around with safety but NEVER let anyone you dont trust with your life help you reload. I made that mistake once and a dipshit said he put powder in some 9mm rounds I was reloading. I felt a little uncomfortable with him helping so I verified each round before I pressed the bullet in. He missed 4 or 5. So I would have had those rounds possibly stuck in the barrel. If the primer had enough power to rack another round in, I would have been fucked. It's kinda like putting food up for the winter. If you like that, you'll love reloading. Good luck and have fun bro.

#10 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,402 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 September 2009 - 06:20 PM

You'll need a scale (not a problem with this crowd, I guess) and a micrometer.

You really should have a brass tumbler. A largish vibrating drum full of abrasives to clean and polish the brass. Dirty brass is not cool.

You'll want to be thinking about keeping your work area routinely clean. Fired brass has powdered lead and mercury with it and you don't want that building up in your blood via your breath.

If you buy a Dillon it will come with one "toolhead". It's a four position die holder that slips into the reloader like a magazine full of dies. You'll want one toolhead per caliber so you can change between calibers with a minimum of tedius resetting of settings for each particular round you fire in each caliber. Some of these micro measurements are very very important to the smooth operation of your semi auto's.

I don't want to :horse: or sound like I own stock, but I'd guarantee that after doing your homework you'll find that dollar for dollar and hour for hour Dillon's progressive loading station is the right way to go for pistol rounds and to a lesser degree rifle rounds which are just plain more work and time.

Feel free to ask here or PM. I'm fairly knowledgable on this topic. (Pharmer dislocates shoulder from patting self on back)

#11 Beast

Beast

That's Mr. Beast to you..

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 01:27 PM

Those multistage presses are cool and all, and you can really churn out alot of ammo with them.

A good friend of mine, for about half the price of a dillon, purchased 3 single stage, hand held presses, I think made by Smith, said they have an add in Shotgun News every month. He loads everything from handgun to rifle ammo with em, and watching his method I'd say he's every bit as precise as a multi stage press, and never any worry about mistakes as you do each round individually. Time to switch out dies and whatnot is either the same or faster due to lack of complexity with the device.

The biggest advantage of the hand helds is that he can do it in his living room while watching tv, and doesn't have to have a heavy duty work bench to mount his press to. Though that's probably not a problem for you Hip, as you're not living in a tiny apt.

I bought a cheapo tumbler from harbor freight n tool, and its great and all until its time to separate the brass from the tumbler media. There's tumblers specifically made for reloading, that actually do the separation for you some how, and aren't much more expensive than what I have.

You're gonna want to get lots of those lil trays for holding your ammo, both while loading and after, so you can mark data like grains and powder load. Lots of reloaders experiment for accuracy, best primer/powder/bullet combo for their shooting needs, and keeping data is pretty important.

#12 charvo

charvo

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 12:29 AM

reloading has been tough lately. cant find primers, and even the type of powder i'm looking for is hard to find. i can't say you will have luck finding supplies. i have a few links for you. I shoot USPSA and IDPA i reload alot man. 20,000 rounds a year. check out these places for supplies. If you get the dillion press like the square b or 550. you'll save yourself 300 hundred dollars. promise. hordandy (sry spelling) makes a nice progrssive, It's the only other choice for a long lasting problem free press. Midway has got a large selection of equipment. percision bullents are perfect for target shooting or competition. their cheap and clean shooting.

http://www.midwayusa.com/

http://www.precisionbullets.com/

https://secure3.moos...m/pricelist.tpl

http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!