12 replies to this topic

#1 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 09:57 PM

How to make a $6.00 chicken plucker
I had 14 birds I needed to butcher about 8 weeks ago, and wasn’t prepared to pluck them by hand, even with the help of my eager six year old helper.
I was thinking of making a plucker along the lines of the one in Backwoods about a year ago, but didn’t have the motor, and while I tried, the only plucker fingers I could find were three hours drive away, and almost three bucks each. So, I “invented” my own. Total cost - $6.00
I bought a PVC end cap (about $2.00) and drilled a 3/8” hole in the center, and installed a long carriage bolt I already had as the shaft. Then I drilled 3/8” holes all around the outside. I made the fingers out two bungie cords. (rubber straps with S hooks a both ends) I had a bunch around, but wanted to get the softest rubber I could, so I bought two long ones. (about $4.00) I cut the cord into three inch lengths, then cut the edge off both sides of each piece, except for a half an inch at the end. Then I pulled the fingers through the holes in the PVC cap, they couldn’t come out because of the half inch bump out at the end. The pictures will explain if the words don’t. Then I popped the shaft into my drill and tied the drill to the picnic table with bungie cords. A wire tie abound the trigger held it at a medium speed.
It plucks a scalded bird in about 45 seconds. It won’t pull the primary wing and tail feathers, and has trouble with the feathers along the leading edge of the wing, but works amazing for my purposes. I pluck the birds with the plucker, rinse it off and pull out the big feathers by hand. Total time is certainly less then 90 seconds a bird.
I’ve posted pictures, and have a thirty second video that video google is clearing. I will post a link to the video once it clears.
Pete
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_2330.jpg
  • 100_2332.jpg
  • 100_2334.jpg
  • 100_2337.jpg

#2 slummunky

slummunky

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 398 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 11:29 PM

I love me some chicken!

#3 boots420

boots420

We Get Lifted

• Expired Member
  • 579 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 11:34 PM

i love chicken with a passion. yet i could never see myself plucking my own. although, im a city boy whod love to live in the country.

#4 Mushrooms201

Mushrooms201

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 561 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 11:42 PM

sweet idea!:headbang:

#5 s0mer4ndom1diot

s0mer4ndom1diot

Day Tripper

• Free Member
  • 775 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 04:57 AM

hmm... is it just me or is anyone else having trouble seeing how that would be able to pull out feathers? :eusa_thin

#6 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:23 AM

once scalded in hot water
the feathers come out fairly easily.
this does work,
it's similar to the whizbang plucker
you can see it in action on youtube

#7 bugs

bugs

Are we having fun yet?

• OG VIP
  • 3,260 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 September 2009 - 09:18 AM

Man, that brings back memories. When I was a kid we'd do around 100 chickens at a time. We had a big scalder and a drum-type plucker, and for some strange reason it was really fun.
It sure beat hoeing out the roosts!

#8 LargeMarge

LargeMarge

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 274 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 09:50 AM

hmm... is it just me or is anyone else having trouble seeing how that would be able to pull out feathers? :eusa_thin

the feathers stick to the soft rubber and are pulled out when the move past.

#9 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 09:53 AM

I love ghetto tek! :love:

Seems like that would make a helluva mess though.

#10 s0mer4ndom1diot

s0mer4ndom1diot

Day Tripper

• Free Member
  • 775 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:51 PM

wow! just watched a vid. really cool :eusa_clap

#11 lillfish

lillfish

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 04:56 PM

ever get a little sad when it's time to butcher the chickens? I just couldn't do it myself, I'd be attached to them. So I guess If I have any, I'll just have some hens for eggs.

#12 iamsmiley

iamsmiley

the ice woman

• Expired Member
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:20 PM

i like to cut their heads off best!

#13 mycowarrier

mycowarrier

former blockhead

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,559 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:27 PM

ever get a little sad when it's time to butcher the chickens? I just couldn't do it myself, I'd be attached to them. So I guess If I have any, I'll just have some hens for eggs.

I feel ya bro but just think of them as little Dinosaurs (they are) and they would eat you in a heartbeat if they could.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!