• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 lewiscarroll

lewiscarroll

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 11:22 PM

I don't have a PC yet but things were going reasonably well for me with cakes so I decided to try popcorn. I read in this thread:
http://mycotopia.net...rn-success.html

that it could be done but I wasn't exactly sure of myself having never tried it.
I soaked it for 36 hrs - it was supposed to be 24 but I got....distracted :hookah:. So I simmered it for about 30 min until a few kernels had split & I could bite them open. Then I rinsed it real good in hot water, then in cold, then dried it in a single layer on paper towels. I put a tbsp of verm in the jar & added the corn.

Here's where I did a couple of things different & I'm not sure if it's overkill or not. I made a polyfill lid but when I put the lid on I also added a patch of kitemakers tyvek in between the jar & the lid. I was worried about the polyfill getting too wet when shaking the jars.

Then I wrapped the jars in foil and ran zipties around the band to try & seal the foil to the lid. I did this because I was afraid that while boiling the water would creep up under the foil & spoil the water content. I did as it mentioned in the above thread - boiled in water that was halfway up the side of the jars. I let it go for a good 120 min.

Just as I've read, the jars looked a little wet when I took them out. I let them sit for a while & then shook em. After 2 or 3 shakes every now & then they looked perfect the next day - the corn had absorbed the extra water.

I hit one up with 1cc of the only LC I've been able to get to work so far. I did another with a spore solution and the third one I haven't done anything with yet but I think tonight I'll probably shoot it with spores.

The jar with the spore solution doesn't show any growth yet but take a look at the LC jar. Day 5.

http://mycotopia.net...16&d=1253333304

http://mycotopia.net...15&d=1253333304

Looks like it's working great. What should I do with it? Make a mini tub with worm castings & coir?

Attached Thumbnails

• pcornjar1a.jpg
  • pcornjar1.jpg

#2 Brakiska

Brakiska

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 238 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 01:14 AM

Cool!

yeh a mini-tub sounds great

looking good!!

What is the Tek of your successful LC ?

#3 P4ulada

P4ulada

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 945 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 06:54 AM

Beauty mycelium =]
What is the strain?

Good luck ^^

#4 lewiscarroll

lewiscarroll

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 92 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 06:55 AM

Cool!

yeh a mini-tub sounds great

looking good!!

What is the Tek of your successful LC ?

Thanks man.

Plain old Karo tek in a half pint jar with 2 silicone ports & no filter. It still stalled & my intuition is telling me that not enough air is causing the stalling/failures. But I don't really know shit. I'm about to try some more LCs & I should know a little bit of something in about a month. I tried honey/karo also with the same spore syringe & got nothing. I'm about ready to try dextrose & lme 'cause the karo & honey mixes aren't really inspiring me.

#5 lewiscarroll

lewiscarroll

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 92 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 07:07 AM

Beauty mycelium =]
What is the strain?

Good luck ^^

It's Redspore. I've only grown this and B+. All my B+ cakes grew beautifully but all the Redspore cakes are really hard to fruit. I think in a tub it might be different but the cakes have been a pain even though the jars colonized fast. I've got two that are turning blue despite whatever dunking/casing/hydrating I do. I've gotten a couple of nice big fruits but mostly they're small or aborts. One of them has twice pinned all around the same area near the bottom and there's so many pins there it almost turns into a bracket looking fungus. The cake that took the longest to colonize has been in the FC for 3 weeks & barely shows any primordia although it's fuzzy as can be. I haven't seen a single pin off of that one. Weird.

I made some B+ spore solution out of a print tonight & shot a test jar. I think I might just use it on the other popcorn jar without waiting on the test. I mean, it's an experiment right?

#6 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 September 2009 - 08:02 AM

Exactly, it is an experiment. With the Redspore, you might try cloning from a decent cluster of fruits, which could improve the fruiting.

As far as LCs, everybody has a favorite method. I use karo and vanilla with 2 silicone ports, and it works fine. There's plenty of air in the jar for the mycelium to grow, BTW.

And when popcorn jars come out of the PC or from being steamed, they often look a bit wet. If you have foil over your lids, you should be fine. Just take the foil off once you remove the jars from the pot--the moisture on the foil can get into your polyfill.

Good luck.

#7 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 01:01 PM

Good job, the jars look good so far. I've had success with steaming popcorn, but IME this is the only grain that gives good results. This is due to the large size of the kernel as well as the fact that it comes out of the bag clean enough to eat. Don't try it with WBS, total waste of resources.

#8 apokalypse

apokalypse

Dr. Durgs

• Expired Member
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 01:23 PM

Excellent job! :cool:

#9 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,369 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 September 2009 - 05:46 PM

Vanilla extract has worked great for me, but LC's are still a mystery to me...

Some work great, others don't do squat... same tek, using spores I KNOW are good
(leftovers from 'noccing PF jars or corn that take off wonderfully), yet some of them
randomly do nothing. Others do great. Some do just so-so. Beats me, but having
a few hundred cc's of LC in the fridge makes the random results worth it.

:)

soliver

#10 lewiscarroll

lewiscarroll

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 92 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:07 PM

Vanilla extract has worked great for me, but LC's are still a mystery to me...
Some work great, others don't do squat... same tek, using spores I KNOW are good
(leftovers from 'noccing PF jars or corn that take off wonderfully), yet some of them
randomly do nothing. Others do great. Some do just so-so. Beats me, but having
a few hundred cc's of LC in the fridge makes the random results worth it.
:)
soliver

That's good to hear. I have tried 7 times making an LC and it only worked once. But seeing it colonize this jar that fast makes me want to persevere. A couple of my jars had a kind of chunky sediment in them and it seems like the amount of the stuff has increased. But the one jar that really worked had floating puffy white myc so I doubt the other stuff I'm seeing is myc.

The second popcorn jar I tried (with spores) only began to show growth after 5 or 6 days but I'm pretty sure I can see a couple of tiny green spots. The third jar sat for 6 days before getting spore solution. It's got no growth or contams yet.

Here's the jar with the LC on day 8. Do I wait until it's all colonized before giving it a shake?
http://mycotopia.net...68&d=1253574172

Attached Thumbnails

• pcornjar1c.JPG

#11 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:31 PM

here is something else that might also help you out. looks like it worked well for you, congrats!

http://mycotopia.net...experiment.html

that jar doesn't really look like it needs a shake. just let it colonize and finish out.

i don't even shake corn jars when i do g2g transfers anymore. only takes about 5 days to colonize if you mix the jar up well after you have transferred grain.

#12 lewiscarroll

lewiscarroll

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 92 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 02:15 PM

Thanks to everybody for the props & encouragement. I finally did the requisite reading and went & bought some coir. This is what I did - feedback or pointers would be much appreciated! :)

Going with ratio of 1 brick of coir to 5 lbs of worm castings, I hydrated the amount I needed of both & mixed them together. Put this into jars with holes covered with tyvek disks & foil wrapped them. Pasteurized the jars by mostly submerging them in water that was brought to a boil & then let them sit for an hour. After they cooled, I mixed that 50/50 with hydrated verm and some lime. Used a sterile spoon (& mask/gloves) to spoon out & break up the popcorn into the cake pan. I mixed the spawn with the substrate - I think a kernel or two might be showing on top. The ratio was 1:3 - the three being half coir/castings and half verm.

The holes in the lid are about 1/4" square & covered with tyvek.

The one thing I'm really worried about is that I just read that the coir bricks you get from nurseries (which is where I got mine) have trich in them & you're supposed to sterilize it. I did hydrate it with boiling water & then did the pasteurization, but it's too late to do anything more about it. The other thing is I'm not sure if my tyvek vents are right. What do you think? This is what it looked like going into incubation

http://mycotopia.net...90&d=1254078736

Attached Thumbnails

• cakepan.jpg

#13 apokalypse

apokalypse

Dr. Durgs

• Expired Member
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 02:24 PM

If the coir isn't trich-laden, you should be good with those holes I think. Interesting take on a monotub :up:

Only time will tell you if there was trich in the coir.. or calling the nursery.

#14 lewiscarroll

lewiscarroll

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 92 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 05:21 PM

A couple of days ago I could see the sub receding from the edges of the pan. I sprayed a little water around the edges, on the lid, & then very lightly sprayed the sub a bit.

This is day 8. I think it would be growing faster if the temps were higher - I've just got it incubating on the top shelf in a closet.

http://mycotopia.net...80&d=1254608454

Attached Thumbnails

• miniredsporeday8.jpg

#15 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,873 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 October 2009 - 05:23 PM

Looks really close! Good job!

#16 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 October 2009 - 07:44 PM

That looks good, man. Some nice rhizos poking up.

#17 GadgetGuy

GadgetGuy

~Resident Perv~

• Expired Member
  • 3,015 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 October 2009 - 08:42 PM

That tray looks like it's going to work beautifully man. Good work. I hope that lid isn't tall enough for the shrooms that grow out of that tin :amazed:

#18 lewiscarroll

lewiscarroll

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 92 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:07 PM

Thanks! It's getting transferred to a taller tub for fruiting. I found one that fits the pan perfectly if you bend the foil edges up.

I don't have a feel for how hydrated the substrate is....or should be. Can anybody give me any tips? I guess when the time comes I should case this with 1/4" of hydrated verm right?

#19 GadgetGuy

GadgetGuy

~Resident Perv~

• Expired Member
  • 3,015 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:31 PM

The way that it is colonizing it looks like you hydrated it perfectly first round. Let it flush out and after you harvest it give it a good dunk. I use Hpoo and verm in my subs and I usually dunk for 1 hour or 2 at the very most. Im not sure what's needed with coir. Keep doing what you are doing because it's working well!

:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

#20 door#6

door#6

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 150 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 10:19 PM

this is looking so great! i can't wait to see this flush...
best wishes!:rasta:

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!