• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 April 2010 - 01:15 PM

Ya need to shake the crap out of a slurry jar - a poly filter is gonna get wet.

Also, when you suck the slurry out, an equivalent amount of room air gets pulled back into the jar. I don't know if pulling room air through moist poly would automatically be a contaminant vector.

I strongly suspect poly filters for slurry jars isn't a great idea.

#42 akoutdoors

akoutdoors

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 344 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 10:53 AM

Thx BB
Gonna make some special tyvek lids to try this

#43 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 April 2010 - 10:59 AM

Two layers of tyvek with a dead air space in between have served me quite well as jar vents over the years. I never cared for polyfill.

G'luck and make sure to let us know how it turns out.

#44 Wantan

Wantan

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 02:37 PM

I'm gonna have to try this. I noticed you used clear silicone, I've always used the red rtv stuff, have you had any problems with the clear? I think I'll switch to that, it's hard to see the inoc. hole with the red rtv.

#45 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 May 2010 - 02:55 PM

As long as the clear silicone is rated for high heat, it works just fine.

#46 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:28 PM

If you move away from RTV adhesive, be sure you put a blob of silicone on both sides of the lid. A blob of "regular" transparent silicone caulk can peel off a lid pretty easily if it is only on the top. I don't use the RTV adhesive stuff. Just GE Silicone II transparent caulk.

A thick blob on both sides of the lid holds tightly and stands up to a lot of needle punctures while still maintaining a solid seal (with no need for adhesive).

You can make an injection hole even easier to see by outlining it with a sharpie before applying the silicone blob. I have bad eyes and that helps a lot (blue and/or red Sharpie are also excellent).
  • ryanzreality likes this

#47 ryanzreality

ryanzreality

mushroom murderer

• Expired Member
  • 907 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:06 PM

dig the sharpie advice man. Banzai speaketh and it shall be done!

#48 Bulk

Bulk

Plausibly Deniable

• Expired Member
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:52 PM

This could be an awesome method for people who are having contamination issues with grain. Since it grows so much faster and BRF cakes are super easy to produce, with a higher success rate then grain.
Awesome thread.

#49 peakster

peakster

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 121 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:34 AM

i just used 3 pint jars of colonized rye to innoculate 60 more jars of rye using this method. Hopefully it works!!

#50 digitalsafari

digitalsafari

Jumpin in w/ both feet...

• Expired Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:43 AM

I have to bump this... :headbang:

Thanks Buck for all your wisdom and advice!!! :bow:

My LC (unpredictable results) days are over...

WE THANK YOU!!!

Question: Would putting some of this in an LC be a good idea to extend it's life? (grow it out for a few days and refrigerate it - just to have a master myc jar to keep on hand?)

Just a thought... :eusa_thin

#51 lightcap

lightcap

SporeChild

• OG VIP
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 03:32 PM

made one a week or so back made three 10ml syringes. gonna do some WBS jars in the next couple days..seeds are soaking now. should be interesting.

keep y'all posted.

should i really toss the slurry jar?..maybe it would be good for a second round in a few days? guess i shouldnt risk it eh?

#52 lightcap

lightcap

SporeChild

• OG VIP
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 04:41 PM

Can i innoc BRF jars with a slurry? hrm?

#53 Djaanteh

Djaanteh

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 87 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:37 PM

Howdy Fellow Mycophiles
A recent "mistake" in reading labels turned a batch of PDA into a batch of PDG when Guar gum was used in place of Agar Agar.
After cooking, sterilizing and cooling to 'hot to touch' then pouring into petri dishes, which were covered, cooled and examined to find fluidilty rather than jel. Discovered mistake and with no Agar, inoculations of plates (bowls??) with tissue fragments from fresh and dried mushrooms, edible and others was performed.
Most plates had nothing but contams. But kept 2 500 ml jars 1/2 full and sterilized and kept sealed.
So yesterday had a print and dumped a shot in both of the PDG jars (viscosity of honey, water white, slighly translucent). Put it in sterile, covered airhole and shook spores into PDG which had been charged with air by vigorous shaking moments before.
Today a white foamy mass of bubbles has devloped on the top third of the mass.
IMAG0560s.jpg
A closeup exam show little packets of material suspended in the thick goo and releasing tiny bubbles of gas which constrained by the viscosity leave a trail as they rise upward. Not sure what the gas is. I presume CO2.
IMAG0570s.jpg
Now since I'm as Noobie to mycology as you can get, though well experienced in matters of deep scientific research, I can make no claims as to it's ultimate usefulness, but there are interesting features here.
Experienced mycologists will have wisdom on this.
I will report my own experiences and invite others who may already played such games or who may care to, to offer comments and advice.
Djaanteh

Edited by Sidestreet, 02 October 2016 - 03:08 PM.
additional relevant photo

#54 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:26 PM

Most likely a yeast. Yeasts exhaust a ton of gas and are quite common.

Neat picture, by the way. Point sources evolving perfectly round bubbles rising slowly in a thick matrix.

#55 Djaanteh

Djaanteh

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 87 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:48 PM

Agreed on yeast. damned stuff is ubquituitous. It never got killed during original sterilization. Dogged me through 2 batches of petri. Still managed to get Ps. Semi mycelia from a dry tissue sample through isolations, which is presently thriving on corn

The PDG stopped bubbling. no further activity of any kind. Either spores were unviable (methinks), or the environment too "hot" for them to survive.
The spores have done very poorly everywhere, except one 1/2 pint BRF jar, where a few spots are visible after 5 days (Ps. Cy) at 75 - 78F.

I love the "matrix" as a time distorter. The viscosity is such you can barely see the bubbles move. They do enlarge as they rise as they should.

They are cool. I plan experiments with this stuff. I just happened to have a couple sterile jars of the stuff and a newly opened syringe aching for a nice tight opening to slid into (oh shit time to talk to my wife...)
anyways had to try it.

thanks for the rep :thumbup:

Djaanteh

#56 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• Expired Member
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:35 PM

this is an amazing tek :-D I am so excited I was just clicking around the forums and happen to stumble upon this thread, because I was just currently in the little predicament that I needed more myc in order to noc up some more grain...

Now its on :-D This should nearly double if not triple my soon to be colonized grain that is going to be mixed with equal parts of bulk :-D :-D :-D

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!