• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#1 BGB

BGB

the one who ate too many.

• Expired Member
  • 326 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 11:56 AM

I would like to start a new thread. I knocked up 120 pf jars with zstrain and brazilians thursday night.. 60 of each. Spores have germinated and Mycelium is starting to grow and will probably be fully colonized within 10 days or so.(wow Im a poet and didnt know it!) I am so excited!! Pics will come as things progress. I am running these strains side by side to see the differences in colonization time, speed of pinning and the total weight. I know they are multispore innoculations but it will be cool. Substrate consisted of COARSE VERM, fine verm, brf, wbs flour, flax flour and water. I cant wait! Its gonna be a spooky halloween if I can help it! PLUR...
  • MLBjammer and like this

#2 tryptaminer

tryptaminer

at this for life

• Expired Member
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 12:02 PM

good luck, that's plenty jars to noc, but time well spent in the end i'm sure.

good timing for halloween :pirate:

#3 Guest_Boboso_*

Guest_Boboso_*

Posted 27 September 2009 - 12:04 PM

Sounds pretty sweet man! Planning on fruiting individual cakes, or spawning to some tubs? That many jars could easily produce some pounds in tubs if you want to stock up for the winter... Aside from the fact that bulk seems to have slightly less in terms of maintenance when compared to cakes. A few monotubs getting misted would be a lot easier to keep up with than several FCs IMO...

Either way, have fun with the grow. Already sounds like you put the work in. Several PC runs I'm sure...

#4 BGB

BGB

• Expired Member
  • 326 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 12:47 PM

Yea it was a little work but I got everything done in a day. I had a little help. My new PC hold 32 pf jars at once though so it only took 4 PC sessions. I was thinking of doing mono tubs but I dont have a drill or polyfill. I will fan this time but its no biggie. I can't wait to show you guys the pics of the mountains of boomers this will produce!

#5 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 September 2009 - 01:03 PM

That is a lot of cakes! Big monotubs would certainly be easier in terms of maintenance. Throwing good vibes your way.

#6 GadgetGuy

GadgetGuy

~Resident Perv~

• Expired Member
  • 3,015 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 September 2009 - 01:03 PM

I would grind every last one of those up and do tubs, although you may not make your Halloween goal if you do that. It would be close depending on how fast your jars colonize etc. Maybe fruit like 12 of em as cakes for a harvest and use the rest for bulk.

#7 BGB

BGB

• Expired Member
  • 326 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 01:13 PM

Yea thats the only reason I did this tek, because of speed. My friends always count on me to give them boomers around halloween. I innoculated on the 25th of sept so I am under the gun as far as things go. I would use a monotub but fanning and spraying actually gives me something to do throughout the day. I like it! If thats even possible. I dont like to risk whole tubs of substrate and spawn due to contams and I have lost several before. If I lose one pf cake then no biggie, ya dig?

#8 masterplain88

masterplain88

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 809 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 01:19 PM

with that many jars i would do a lilttle bit of both i would do some PF style and i would crush some up and make a bulk out of like coir and warmcastings and vermiculite or somthing like that. that way you can have half of each on cakes and the other half of each in a bulk gives you caps no matter what and what better time to try a bulk follow tek to the tee and make out bigger and if not that many cakes you still make out.
masterplain88

#9 BGB

BGB

• Expired Member
  • 326 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 01:25 PM

I hear ya! I will go ahead and make up some WBS jars to experiment with. I have done bulk subs before but I like the speed of PF cakes, there is nothing like it. I have fruits in 3 and a half weeks from inoculation before. I dont like having to pasturize bulk subs to be honest. I do miss seeing large tubs full of canopies of boomers though. I might give it a shot soon though!

#10 GadgetGuy

GadgetGuy

~Resident Perv~

• Expired Member
  • 3,015 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 September 2009 - 01:30 PM

I pasteurize my bulk subs in a turkey tin in the oven. Easy as pie. Get to field capacity in a 5gallon bucket, dump in tin, cover with foil, put in oven at 165 for 3 hours. Good to go. When I used to do it in a pillowcase in a huge pot of water that was a pain in the ass. So much harder to get the moisture content right. Even if you just fruited 60 of those PF cakes and put the other 60 to monotubs you would end up with quite a pull off both.

#11 masterplain88

masterplain88

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 809 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 01:34 PM

o well if that not what you looking for that i would go with one of those some what tall real long and kinda wide storage toats. i will try to look for a pic of one ther like 8-10inches tall like foot and a half to a foot wide and like 3-3.5 feet long. you could also do what i use to do i would buy those big tubs kinda tall ones and i would get these rack that had legs and were stackable well i wwould fold the legs down on the first one just perfect for it to be about 2-3 inches from the perlite then i would fold the legs out on the next one and the tubs would be tall enought to do 3 total the botom middle and top.run fishtank bubbler for perfect FAE.
masterplain88

#12 Guest_nba1138_*

Guest_nba1138_*

Posted 27 September 2009 - 01:36 PM

:amazed::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

#13 Heisenberg

Heisenberg

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 05:54 PM

120 pf cakes.....That brings back memories. Quite a workload.

#14 shroom31

shroom31

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 314 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 06:47 PM

i cant wait to see 120 pk cakes fruiting. Good luck

#15 BGB

BGB

• Expired Member
  • 326 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 07:16 PM

i cant wait to see 120 pk cakes fruiting. Good luck

I hear that man! Me too!! LOL

It wasn't that bad actually. The workload I mean. I enjoy doing it. Its fullproof, its the absolute quickest way to get fruits. They way I see it, fruits are fruits, right? :) Im trying to figure out the amount of hand movements I actually made making these up. Here is a little math for that ass! LOL

12 stacks of 10 lids to drill holes in X 4 holes per lid = 48
120 jars to fill and level off =120
120 times I filled the verm layer =120
120 times I put lids on =120
120 pieces of foil I cut =120
120 jars I put in the PC =120
120 jars I took out of the PC and into the incubator=120
120 jars I took out of the incubator to shoot up =120
4 holes per jar I innoculated via a 12ml syringe =480
120 jars I put back in the incubator =120
120 jars I took out of the incubator after 100% =120
120 jar lids I opened =120
120 jars I scraped the verm layer off of the cakes =120
120 cakes I popped out of the jars =120
120 cakes I'll double end case =120
plus a few more movements I have forgotten
grand total is somewhere around "2100" individual hand movements=carpal tunnel in the long run!!!
Damn you're right, that is a lot of work!!! Can anyone say spawn bags next time around??? LOL maybe you guys are right, but I am in a rush this time around because of halloween. Always under the gun it seems! But it ought to be cool. :)

#16 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,297 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 September 2009 - 08:08 PM

You must REALLY like your friends :)

soliver

#17 BGB

BGB

• Expired Member
  • 326 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 08:17 PM

LOL, :) I hear that! Well its either I do it and everyone has a fucking blast, or I dont and everyone is pissed off. Last year was a disaster! People were sittin around like they were at a fucking funeral! LOL. Last year I made a pact with myself to not let it happen again. Can anyone say PARTY??? Cause thats what its gonna be. Thinking about taking about a half pound dry and making a big jug of green witches brew, complete with dry ice bubbles and everything! Gonna be nutz and I hope no one goes nutz. Safety is the name of the game this year. Safe T!

#18 tecnikal

tecnikal

dos3d

• Expired Member
  • 431 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 11:44 PM

dude that is fucking awesome. lol...i've thought of doing something similar like taking a few oz and making an enormous vat of honey and having a party

#19 GadgetGuy

GadgetGuy

~Resident Perv~

• Expired Member
  • 3,015 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 September 2009 - 11:52 PM

If you fruit all 120 cakes we are really going to need a good photo man! That would be a sight to see. :eusa_danc

#20 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,424 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 September 2009 - 06:55 AM

I keep 30-40 BRF cakes going, and even invitro it can be a bunch of work. You might want to hire some cheap day labor, BGB, for fanning, picking and dunking. Just kidding, of course.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!