7 replies to this topic

#1 firerat

firerat

Why am I so thirsty....

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,033 posts

Donator

Posted 30 September 2009 - 06:47 PM

Ok, some of these were obvious like coffee filters and grounds. But latex condoms? That was news to me.

http://planetgreen.d...post-items.html

#2 SilvrHairDevil

SilvrHairDevil

Gatekeeper

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 08:45 PM

Although they may rot just fine, I would not put processed foods in the compost. Pet food, pizza crust, cheese - that sort of thing.

Not mentioned was sawdust and wood shavings from carpentry projects.

Corn cobs and pine cones can take years to break down.

Latex, I suppose, is a natural product from a tree. Stands to reason rubber may decompose as well. Anybody comes up with a mushroom that will grow on & break down used tires will have a comfortable retirement.

#3 touchfaith

touchfaith

Like a fiend in a cloud

• Expired Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 04:11 AM

"34. Urine"

I was wondering what to do with my pee bucket!

:lol:

#4 mycophone

mycophone

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:47 AM

Sweet, never using the bathroom again, the compost pile is officially my new bathroom, haha.
It wasn't listed there, but what do you think about cigarette ashes? Minus the filters obviously.

Edited by Beast, 06 December 2009 - 08:44 PM.
double post

#5 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:17 PM

The filters would actually be much better in the compost since they are made of cotton and paper. The ashes will add too many chemicals and throw off the PH of the compost.

#6 Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:29 PM

i'd be careful about composting treated lumber scraps, shavings, or dust. a lot of the treated wood is treated with arsenic which i don't think you'll want in your compost.

#7 Beast

Beast

That's Mr. Beast to you..

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:18 PM

Sweet, never using the bathroom again, the Compost pile is officially my new bathroom, haha.

Small amounts of urine are probably ok. However, 'black compost' = human excrement is not what you want in the compost pile of anything that you're going to eat. It's in a whole different category...

i'd be careful about composting treated lumber scraps, shavings, or dust. a lot of the treated wood is treated with arsenic which i don't think you'll want in your compost.

Some types of woods have their own natural resins as well. I bet eucalyptus, cedar, redwood, and others not sure which, will be resistant to composting.

Of course our goal for a compost pile here, as I understand it, is to supply your personal garden with suitable organic fertilizer such that when you consume the products of what you grow, you aren't going to poison yourself or innoculate yourself with something unpleasant.

Composting green refuse, however is entirely plausible. A chipper/shredder is a good piece of equipment for someone who has property to be maintained. Plenty of ornamental plants, or local vegetation, have toxins that are just not suitable to putting them into your compost pile. Also due to the increased time it takes to compost wood chips, such things are better suited to mulch for your landscaping.

Just tossing that in there since we're talking about 'uncompostable' things. I guess it should be considered that a great many things break down over time from exposure to the elements, which includes bacteria and fungi that absorb or convert various things into something usable. The base aspect of fungi breaking down cell walls for the latent molecular energy is a really conservative means of procuring that which you need to grow/live.

However this is also where making fertilizer for your garden crosses the line into environmental remediation activities. There's a wide variety of lifeforms, bacteria, fungi, plants, that are used to absorb toxins from the soil, as well as convert them into a less harmful substance that can be more easily disposed of. Kinda seems like I've gone a bit off track from the original train of thought here, lemme derail myself and get back to the original idea:

I've found that when I harvest the worm castings from the lower tub in my OSCR vermicomposter, One of the most common items that I find that has yet to compost is avocado skins. I guess they're kinda woody...

If you don't crush the egg shells enough, they will stick around for ever, otherwise if the pieces are 1mm or smaller I'm sure the worms gobble it up for their guts, makes good 'worm teeth' I guess..

#8 DarkLestor

DarkLestor

Wanderer

• Expired Member
  • 689 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:30 PM

NOW YOU CAN HAVE ALL THE FUN OF COMPOSTING WITHOUT THE HASSLE OF ACTUALLY CARING ABOUT THE ENVIRONMENT!

http://www.compostinfo.com/cn/

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!